How to Gain Healthy Weight and Build Muscle Mass
Their are a multitude of reasons that may cause a need for weight gain. Many people who struggle to maintain a healthy BMI (body mass index). A need to gain weight can be due to a constant lack of appetite, health issues, building muscle, supporting high activity sports, and genetics.
You should not just sit around eating fast foods. When gaining weight its important to so in a fashion that is healthy and nutritious.
When trying to gain weight you should start by adding 500 calories to your daily diet. This will add to about 3,500 extra calories per week.
You should also try eating about six meals a day. Not six giant meals, adding extra little meals to you diet will help you take in more calories.
Athletes trying to bulk up
Those who are athletic need yo ensure that they intake a sufficient amount of calories, protein, and also weight training in order to gain weight in the right places.
After strength training workouts athletes should eat snacks that are high in protein such as high protein energy bars and protein shakes. This gives you muscles post work out fuel, and helps them recover quicker.
It is also recommended that athletes snack on foods that are high in protein, and high in calories before going to bed.
Muscle ways more than fat
Hitting the gym and lifting weights is the best way to pack on some extra muscle, but not everyone has the time, or money to spend at the gym.
Here are some great and simple exercises that will build muscle without equipment and in the comforts of your own home.
Push-ups: Push-ups build arm, shoulder, and chest muscles.
Pull-ups: Pull-ups build arm and back muscles.
Squats: Squats build Leg muscles
Crunches/Sit-ups: These build your abdominal muscles.
Foods to help you gain weight and add calories
- Vegetables, eat vegetables that is high in starch, such as potatoes, carrots, peas, and corn.
- Butter, can cause healthy long term weight gain. But don't just go eating sticks of butter, regularly eating to much butter can be bad for your, so it should be eaten in moderation.
- Tuna, is loaded with healthy fats, which promote physical well being and help in weight gain.
- Bananas, are great, because they are nutrious, rich in carbs and high in calories. a large banana has about 125 calories.
- Energy Bars, are high in calories, and packed with healthy nuts and oats.
- Peanut Butter, not only adds extra calories but it is also high in protein.
- Breads, Whole wheat breads topped with peanut butter, jelly, etc.
- Whole Milk, choose whole milk over skim milk when trying to gain weight.