- Alternative & Natural Medicine
How to Ground – Aligning Yourself With Earth Energy
Have you ever been in a shopping mall or a room full of people and felt as though your feet weren’t firmly on the floor? Learning to ground will most definitely help with this disconcerting feeling and will also help you center your body and your mind into the space you are in. We hear so much about being “in the present” but it can be impossible if we are scattered and unconnected.
The benefits of grounding are numerous. Once grounded you are provided with a support framework in which you feel more secure, less scattered, and much calmer. Grounding can also assist in slowing your conscious reality so that you make better choices without feeling rushed. Over time this practise can help you exert better control of your emotions and your life.
Grounding is simply the act of aligning yourself with earth energies, bringing your awareness more fully into your body and then anchoring. Although it’s best to perform this exercise before you feel the effects of being unconnected, once learned it can be completed quickly and discretely.
Have you used grounding in your every day life?
- First, sit in a comfortable chair with your feet flat on the floor. Your focus should first be on the connection with your feet to the floor (or the ground), and that of your seat to the chair.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Slowly pull the air into your body by expanding your stomach area. This brings air deeply into your lungs. Slowly release the air through your mouth. Repeat twice.
- As you continue breathing, gently bring your awareness to the bottom of your spine. Imagine that from the bottom of your spine is growing a strong, healthy cord or root. This root begins to grow downwards through the floor and into the soil below.
- Imagine this root or cord working its way deeply into the earth. You can almost hear it as it makes its way through rock and soil, perhaps winding itself around other strong tree roots or huge boulders. Mentally project this cord or root all the way into the core of the earth, securing you to the earth and connecting you to the vast strength she holds.
- Next, imagine all your negative thoughts and fears coming together within your abdomen. Flush these unwanted feelings down through your root, deeply into the earth, until they are incinerated in the earth’s core.
- When all your negativity is released and you feel securely connected, I would like you to envision earth’s vast strength begin to travel up through your root and into your body. Imagine this energy is gold in colour and, with your mind’s eye, watch as it travels up through your torso, into your legs and arms, up into your chest, your throat, and up to the top of your head. Take a moment as you envision this beautiful energy streaming to every part of your body. Watch as it strengthens and revitalizes you.
- When you feel as though your grounding is complete, take in three more slow, deep breaths and acknowledge that you are now in the present and that your connection with the earth will remain unbroken throughout the day.
- Slowly open your eyes.
As a highly sensitive person, I have found the practice of grounding to be an essential part of my life. As a psychic, a medium, and a Reiki Master I have realized that it is essential. I hope these easy steps will help you to feel steadier, stronger, and more fully present.