- Mental Health
How to Live Simply for Reduced Stress
Today, we live in a world where long hours and little rest is the norm. Our lives a busier than ever. There is a price to pay for all that hustle and bustle, however, and that price is loads and loads of unbelievable stress. Many of us have accepted this and moved on with the attitude of that is simply the way life is. Others, however, may be looking for a way to be less busy and hopefully more relaxed. Here are a few tips to get you started on the stress free path of simplicity.
Tips for Living Simply and Reducing Stress
1. De-clutter the clutter. The clutter in our homes, work spaces, and other areas is an effect of as well as a cause of stress. Clutter brings with it a feeling of uneasiness. It can be a drain on your energy and make you feel sad or even depressed. Get rid of the mess and stress less. This can be a difficult task for those who work a busy schedule. Try taking 15 or 30 minutes out of your day to tackle one pile at a time.
2. Say bye-bye to negative relationships. Relationships that build you up are far less stressful than those that tear you down. If you consistently leave your friend feeling worst than you did when you came, maybe it's time to re-evaluate that relationship. Conflicted relationships can create substantial stress in your life. Toxic friends drain our energy and leave us frustrated.
3. Live within your means. Financial stressors are sometimes unavoidable. We can avoid creating more, however. Don't spend more than you make. This is a quick way to frustrate and stress yourself.
4. Learning to say no is a vital skill. Saying no is sometimes necessary, but this can be a difficult thing for many of us. Sadly, this can often include our ability (or inability) to say no to ourselves. Don't overtax your mind, body, and spirit with tasks that cannot and should not be completed by one person. This will leave you exhausted. Also, learn to resist instant gratification which sometimes leads to increased debt and, once again, living outside of our means.
More Simple Tips for Simplified Living and Stress Reduction
Simply living is all about cutting back. This applies to every aspect of your life. Here are a few tips for helping you to cut back on expenses:
- Utilize free sources where available. For example, if you love to read become a member of your local library rather than buying tons of book that will eventually turn to clutter.
- Use coupons where you can. With the addition of digital coupons, smart phones savings programs, and reward points programs it is getting easier and easier to save a penny here and there. Use coupons when you can. Join reward programs to earn extra savings or free products and services.
- Avoid eating out. Eating out is expensive. It is also typically unhealthy for you. Cook healthy meals at home. This can also be a great way of building relationships with family and friends.
- Pay bills online and on time. Avoid late fees and the unnecessary clutter of paper.
- Bike or walk when feasible. This saves gas, gives you exercise (another great way to reduce stress), and saves you money.
- Turn off those lights and other electrical appliances. This is another great way to reduce your bills and save money.
- Lastly, develop the right attitude. Many see simplified living as a chore or punishment of some kind. Truthfully, it is a way of reducing the stress and anxiety of life. Remember, that this is for you, you family, and your health. Living simply does not mean living with discomfort. It simply means being content with what you have, thereby, remaining stress free.