How to Lower Glucose Levels to Help Lose Weight Quickly
Let's start with the facts
- All carbohydrates are not equal - Simple carbs are worse than complex ones BUT
- All Carbohydrates are converted to Glucose in the body
- An increase in the level of glucose in the blood causes the pancreas to produce more insulin
- This increases causes blood sugar to drop
- Low blood glucose levels cause us to crave carbs
In fact, sugar is so powerful that it "takes over the brain" causing you to seek out and eat high carb foods.
So gone are your days of feeling guilty - the sugar is so powerful it causes you to crave sugar. But that doesn't mean you are powerless to do anything about it or that you have no control.
You can control your weight and blood glucose levels. All you need to do is break the "eat sugar, crave sugar, eat more sugar" cycle. And this article will show you some of the ways that you can simple and easily take control of your blood glucose levels.
Cut the sugar lose the fat
Alarming facts about sugar
You may be thinking ... but I don't eat a lot of sugar! While you may not be adding thirteen teaspoons of sugar to your coffee each morning, did you know that the average breakfast cereal has 18 g of sugar per bowl - if you eat two cups per bowl, and most of use eat more than that.
That is almost 5 teaspoons of sugar for your bowl of cereal! And that is how most of us start our day. Now if someone asked for a cup of coffee with 5 teaspoons of sugar, most of us would think - oh my goodness - are you mad?
And then let's add those "healthy" berries to that. Blueberries are healthy right? It's what we are being told all the time. So add a half a cup of blueberries to your breakfast and you are now looking at 24g of sugar - 6 teaspoons worth! And granola has twice the amount of sugar when compared with other cereals like cornflakes. Ben and Jerry's has 21g of sugar for half a cup. So in terms of sugar you would be better off eating Ben and Jerry's for breakfast!
Sugar is hidden in almost everything we eat. So if you want to regulate the glucose levels, you have to start reading the labels and paying attention to how much sugar is hiding in your food!
Start looking for foods with no sugar. Swop an egg for that cereal. Proteins will help to regulate blood sugar and they don't contain any sugar either!
Do you read the sugar labels on your food
Sugar Surprise - Foods with hidden sugars
It may surprise you that other foods we consider "Healthy" and good for weight loss are hiding huge amounts of sugar:
- Coleslaw - 14g of sugar - 3.5 teaspoons per cup of coleslaw
- Barbeque sauce - 2 teaspoons per ounce
- Flavored yoghurt - 5 teaspoons per 16 ounce
- Fruit juices - 4 teaspoons per cup
- Spaghetti sauce - 4 teaspoons per cup
- Chocolate milk - 2 teaspoons per 8 ounces
- Granola - 5 teaspoons per cup
If you look at the list - you may notice that a lot of these we consider "healthy" and good for a diet. I mean Granola with Yoghurt would be good right? At 10 teaspoons of sugar for breakfast though - perhaps we should rethink what we think is healthy.
Hidden Sugar FactsClick thumbnail to view full-size
It's the simple changes that can make the most different to your diet and how quickly you lose weight.
- Check your symptoms to see if you suffer from insulin resistance
- Add more protein to your diet
- Cut out the hidden sugars - you don't taste them so why eat them?
- Add powerful spices like Ginger and cinnamon to your diet
- Add good insulin foods like cauliflower and broccoli to your daily diet
Symptoms of low and high blood glucose
So how do you know if blood glucose levels are the thing stopping you from losing weight. Here is a list of symptoms to look for to know if you are suffering from insulin resistance and blood sugar problems:
- Brain Fogginess
- High Blood Sugar
- Sleepy after eating
- High cholesterol
- Sugar/Carb Cravings
- High blood pressure
- Constant thirst
If you have two or more of these symptoms then you should probably consider changing your diet and taking steps to normalize your blood sugar. It's not only healthier - but your weight loss may depend on you making these changes! Because insulin resistance stops you losing weight - even when you are eating the right things and exercising!
Cinnamon and ginger are highly effective in normalizing blood sugar. To get the best start for your day, start with Green tea with cinnamon and ginger. The recipe is below and the students I coach have all seen amazing results with this combination first thing in the morning.
If you are one of those people who have mid-morning sugar dumps or sugar cravings, then you will be surprised how well you feel when you start the day with this combination.
Cinnamon is so powerful at regulating blood sugar that a number of studies are even being done for diabetes and cinnamon. Cinnamon improves blood insulin levels in diabetics. It improves brain function and reduces liver fat.
Strategies to Beat Blood sugar and Insulin Resistance
Herbs / Spices
Cut out the hidden sugar
Eat protein with each meal
The Secrets of Sugar
Hidden Sugar Affects More than Weight Loss
The sad fact is that the hidden sugars we are consuming affect more than just how much weight we are able to lose. Science is finding proof that sugar causes a number of the diseases that are killing us.
Sugar has been linked to cancer, diabetes, heart disease and even Alzheimer disease. There are also new facts that sugar may be related to epilepsy and ADD/ADHD.
This video is about the hidden sugars in food and what the health implications of those sugars are. It is well worth wathcing
Cut the sugar, lose the fat
What you can Do About Blood Glucose, Sugar and Weight Loss
Here are some really simple things you can do to lower glucose levels quickly to help you lose weight:
- Read the labels and try to cut the hidden sugar out of your diet
- Eat small amounts of protein with each meal - like a block of cheese for example
- Add some of the herbs and spices that fight low glucose to your diet
- Make yourself cinnamon, ginger, green tea in the morning to start the day well
Contact me for group coaching classes. We approach dieting from a natural perspective and use spices, herbs and common sense to create the perfect diet for you.
Another great recipe is to stat the day with cinnamon and apple oats. If you buy raw oats - no sugar added
Chop up an apple and sprinkle it with cinnamon.
Place the pieces in a cup and microwave for 30 seconds until soft and gooey
Add the apples to the raw oats and add half a cup of natural yoghurt - unsweetened.
This is also a great way to start the day and avoid those mid-morning sugar cravings.
Green Tea with Cinnamon and Ginger
- 1 Green Tea Bag
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Grated Ginger
- Add the green tea bag to a boiling cup of water.
- Add the cinnamon and ginger and allow to steep for a few minutes. If you have a sweet tooth then add stevia or a natural sweetener NOT sugar