How to Make Dumbbells (Fitness Weights) at Home with Cement
Staying fit is quite important for healthy living, but there are a number of things that make it difficult for most of us to adopt this activity. One of the major fitness drawbacks is lack of exercise equipment such as barbells and dumbbells (or simply, weights).
People with extra cash purchase fitness equipment and build gyms at their homes or member themselves with fitness clubs. On the other side, those who cannot afford the equipment or gym adopt less effective fitness practices hoping to afford these necessities in the future.
If you cannot hit the gym or own one because of lack of finances, worry no more because I have a solution here. Let the lack of gym equipment not prevent you from keeping fit. I will show you how to make your own dumbbells and boost your body exercise at home.
The best thing about the DIY weights is that they are pretty cheap to construct. You will not spend any meaningful amount of money in making them. Personally, I didn't spend any coin when making my dumbbells, and the homemade exercise equipment gives me the same awesome satisfaction as the gym one.
In brief, how to make dumbbells at home with cement
1. Secure two containers, a metallic rod, concrete and a strip of a soft cloth.
2. Position one end of the rod upright at the center of one container and carefully fill it with concrete.
3. Position the other end of the rod in the other container and fill it with concrete.
4. Leave the setup undisturbed for 3 days, but remember to regularly spray water on the concrete.
5. After the concrete has cured, wrap the strip of the soft cloth around the metallic rod and that's all!
Materials for Making Dumbbells or Fitness Weights at Home
Think of the small containers that you usually come across at home. They could be the cooking fat tins that you dispose off after you have used all the fat. Just think of any cylindrical container that can hold concrete (mixture of ballast, cement and sand). You need the following materials to make hand weights at home.
- 2 cylindrical or cuboid containers of equal volume and capable of holding at least 2.0lbs of concrete each (lids optional).
- 1 metallic rod, 1-ft long and a diameter comfortable to your hands.
- Concrete (ballast, cement and sand).
- A strip of a soft cloth, preferably 2-ft long.
As you can see, you will not spend any meaningful cash to obtain these materials. Concrete seems to be the only material that you can spend some few bucks on, but you can decide not to spend any cash on it!
If you want to get some free concrete, visit a construction site in your neighborhood and ask for some. You will not be denied concrete that can fill only two 1-kg containers.
If you can’t find free concrete anywhere, you can consider buying some. I’m sure that there are some places where you can buy cement in small amounts.
When you have searched cement in vain, you can be tempted to use sticky clay in place of concrete. But how long do you think the clay will last? Not more than a week and will, in addition, make your exercise room dirty. I just want you to make gym equipment that will last for long.
Concerning the other materials, you will not have problems with ballast (small stones) and sand. The same thing applies to the containers, the rod and the soft cloth. These materials are readily available.
You can also use a wooden rod as an alternative to the metallic rod, but remember, wood warps and rots. You can agree with me that you will have to choose a metallic rod if you want to make hand fitness weights that will help exercise your body forever.
Procedure for Making DIY Dumbbells or Weights
- If you want to prepare your own concrete, mix 200g of ballast, 600g of cement and 1000g of cement. Add water to the mixture to make the concrete. It is advisable to prepare excess concrete to avoid cases of unfilled containers.
- Prepare the two containers well. Clean off any dirt that may prevent the concrete from sticking well on the inner surfaces. If you have lids, make holes of the same diameter as the rod at the center of each lid, then cut them as shown below.
- Start with one container. Position one end of the rod upright at the center of one container and carefully fill it with concrete. Ensure that the concrete fills the container tightly by poking it with another rod. Give it a day to set up and for the curing process to start.
- The next step is to position the other end of the rod in the other container and fill it with concrete. Remember to tightly fill the container with concrete.
- Leave the setup undisturbed for 3 days, but remember to regularly spray water on the open sides. This will allow the concrete to cure accordingly and hold the rod firmly in its central position.
- After the concrete has cured, you can fix the lids and then wrap the strip of the soft cloth around the metallic rod. And you are done! This is how to create your own fitness weights.
Well, if making your own dumbbell is not your thing, you can get this factory-made dumbbell. I have spend a considerable amount of my time analyzing fitness equipmet and I think this equipment is the most reliable. It is cheap, compact and offers full-body exercise.
I have used it to build muscles and ripped body, and I can say that I have acquired a chiselled body with the help of the equipment. Want to burn fat, acquire lean body mass and stay fit? Well, just buy this dumbbell! It is quite easy to use and motivating unlike other fitness equipment out there.
Safety Tips for Using Your DIY Dumbbells or Fitness Weights at Home
- Always place your weights carefully on the ground after you are done with exercise.
- Store your weights properly: avoid places with other equipment that can fall on them.
- Avoid pressing your weights against hard surfaces, especially when doing press-ups.
The DIY fitness weights equipment is a cost-effective way to remain fit and adopt a healthy lifestyle. You will be able to boost your workouts and intensify your weight training with the help of this simple equipment.
Burn excess body fat, put on a lean body mass and get that attractive body shape you have desired for a long time at the comfort of your home with this homemade gym equipment.
Do you think now you can make your own dumbbells or fitness weights at home with cement?
© 2015 Januaris Saint Fores