How to Recover From the Flu
Tips to Recover from the Flu
Get Rid of the Flu
Do you need advice on how to recover from the flu? I seem to get the flu at least once a year but lately I've gotten it a few times. Through all of my experience of having the flu and recovering from it, I've learned a thing or two about how to get rid of it quickly.
Here is a general of summary of what I do:
- Flu shot. I've started getting a flu shot. Actually, this was my first year and so far, it seems to be going well.
- Natural remedies. I thought I was getting the flu about a month ago and I took garlic capsules. Instead of getting the flu, I had a sore throat for 24 hours and then it went away. I have other remedies up my sleeve, too.
- Get rest. Sleeping is the most important. Sometimes, staying in bed and sleeping as much as possible is just the thing that will get you feeling better. Note that I included a video that I found on youtube for getting a good night's sleep.
That was just a sampling of the things I do to help heal the flu. Read on to find out more.
Helpful Link from the CDC about the 2013 Flu Pandemic
- CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - What You Should Know for the 2012-2013 Influenza Season
CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Influenza Flu: Question and Answer for the general public regarding basic information about the 2012-2013 flu season.
What should you do when there is a flu outbreak?
Over the past few days, I've been reading more and more about the current global pandemic and flu outbreak. I currently live in the Boston area and authorities in Boston have labeled it a Public Health Emergency. The outbreak is hitting lots of other places, too, so I thought I would address the issue.
Should you get a flu shot?
I think, since this is a worse than normal year for the flu, that everyone should at least consider getting a flu shot. But more importantly, we should focus on building our health and repairing our bodies from the abuse it likely suffered during the holidays. You know what I mean - not enough exercise due to the busy holiday season and too much food.
Build Healthy Habits
This is the time to build healthy habits with our eating, our exercise habits, and our relaxation techniques. For me, that means eating enough fruits and vegetables, taking a multivitamin, exercising consistently (preferably outdoors), getting enough sun, and getting enough sleep.
Use Elderberry Syrup
It is also a good idea to keep some Elderberry Syrup on hand just in case. Heck, that stuff is tasty - you could pour some over vanilla ice cream each night as a preventative. The Europeans eat Elderberry jam and the drink Elderberry juice just because they feel like it.
If you do get sick, the advice in my hub will definitely help! ;-)
Flu Shot Opinions
Do you get a flu shot each year?
Should you take medicine?
How to Recover From the Flu Quickly - Should You Take Medicine?
Every time I get the flu, I wonder if I should take medicine. The options are endless. There are medicines that
- Reduce pain.
- Control fever.
- Deal with coughs.
- Get rid of congestion.
- ... and more
The point is, there are medicines that can help minimize any symptom you may have. But that always begs the question - does it help you get truly better?
My advice is to try not to take anything unless you see a doctor. Sometimes, it is best to just sleep it off. Sometimes, your body needs to weather the symptoms to promote healing. For example, a slight fever is often your body's way to kill off germs. Some can't survive in your body in higher temperatures.
This isn't a scientific observation by any means but I have noticed that it seems that my flu episodes last longer when I take over the counter medication for it. I am not sure if there is anything to that observation or not but it is something to think about.
Buy Natural Remedies for Flu Online
Natural Remedies for Flu - Herbal Flu Remedies
Before I get started telling you about my favorite flu remedies, I just have to say - you should definitely consult with a doctor before you take anything. First of all, you'll want to confirm if you have the flu or not. Second, I would get my doctor's approval to make sure these remedies are okay for you to take.
- Gypsy Cold Care Tea. My favorite herbal tea for flu is the Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care Tea. It is a variation on a traditional gypsy remedy for cold and flu.
- Elderberry Syrup. The Sambucol site endorses Elderberry as a great remedy for cold and flu. (Sambucol is the name of a product that is really just elderberry syrup). I think it works really well for the immune system, especially if you take it at the onset. It is also well known by herbalists as an expectorant.
- Garlic. I always feel better when I take garlic. It is both antibacterial and antiviral. It is also indicated in herbal profiles (such as this one) for the flu. Sometimes I am able to avoid getting the flu for more than a few days when I diligently take garlic capsules.
These are my favorite remedies. I use them all the time and they work for me. You may have some favorites, yourself. I would love to hear about them in the comments! Also, I found a video about natural remedies for flu - you'll find it below.