Natural Remedies for Constipation and How They Work
Over-the-Counter Laxatives May Be Bad for You
- According to books I have read on the subject of constipation, over-the-counter laxatives can kill the friendly bacteria in your body. They can also lessen the absorption of nutrients while ridding the body of needed vitamins. You could also become addicted to the laxatives and eventually - if you don't already suffer from constipation - they will cause it.
- You need to check with your doctor before trying any of the natural remedies I am about to suggest. Constipation could be a symptom of a disease, and can sometimes lead to major health problems.
- But, if your doctor says it's okay, here are some things to try.
Your "Supply" List
You will need one or more of the following:
* grapefruit juice
* brewer's yeast
* raw spinach
- If you are constipated, drink the juice of half of a lemon in lukewarm water. You can sweeten it with a little bit of honey if desired. Some other things to try before breakfast are two peeled apples or a handful of figs that have been soaked overnight in water. Before you eat the figs, however, drink the water they were soaked in.
- Eating a couple of beets early in the morning should cause you to have a bowel movement in 10-12 hours.
- Take a few tablespoons of flaxseed and drink a lot of water after you eat. That should get you moving.
- And there's always raw sauerkraut. It has friendly bacteria in it that aids digestion and it's a great laxative. But, you have to eat it raw, because heat kills the enzymes that you need.
- You could try a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in the morning, and another teaspoon an hour after a meal.
More Things to Try
- Other things that are known to cure constipation are persimmons or brewer's yeast. Plus, you could drink a glass of warm sauerkraut juice followed by a glass of unsweetened grapefruit juice. That should do the trick, but grapefruit juice interacts with many medications so talk to your doctor before trying it.
- Raw spinach is a mild laxative also.
- If none of these things work for you, you could always try prunes!
Tips and Warnings
* Talk to your doctor before trying natural remedies.
* Grapefruit juice interacts with some medicines, so check with your doctor before drinking it.
© 2011 Mike and Dorothy McKenney