- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How to Slow Your Breathing
Ever find yourself stressed or nervous or just feel as if you are simply breathing too fast? There are many health benefits to paying attention to your breathing. These are related not only to a reduction of stress, which is a major cause for many health problems, but also because it helps to increase the oxygen levels entering our bodies.
There are many different breathing techniques for helping to calm oneself. Meditation training often includes the teaching of breathing techniques.
One such method is called Square Breathing. Square breathing can be accomplished thusly:
- Inhale deeply through your nose while counting to four.
- At count four, hold your breath for another count of four.
- At count four, now release your breath through your nose or mouth and continue breathing out for the full count of four.
- Be careful if you are driving or operating any machinery while doing these breathing exercises because you may feel light-headed or faint.
Shallow breathing is quite common and this can reduce the amount of oxygen getting into our bloodstream. This is unhealthy for many parts of the body, your heart included. Without the proper flow of oxygen and in turn without having properly oxygenated blood flowing through your circulatory system, the heart must work much harder to accomplish its task. Every part of the body is very much connected to the proper functioning ability of every other part of the body, even aiding us in our ability to think clearly.
Pay attention to the way that you breathe! Your life may just depend upon it!