- Quality of Life & Wellness
Like Naps? Are Naps Good for Adults and Children?
The Benefits of Napping
In today's rat race world where there is always something that needs to be done, sleep has become a premium activity. Many adults and children are walking around lacking the basic amount of sleep that is required to keep us functioning properly. Fatigue can lead to other problems with mental as well as physical health.
When we are babies and small children, the body takes periodically naps throughout the day to keep us healthy and growing. As we grow older the amount of sleep that we require does decrease but some of us push the envelope with the amount of sleep we get each day. Naps can help fill in the gap so we get the rest that we need.
How Much Sleep Do You Need?
Babies under 2 Months Old
12 to 18 Hours
Babies 3 Monts to 11 Months
14 to 15 Hours
Toddlers 1 Year to 3 Years
12 to 14 Hours
Children 3 Years to 5 Years
11 to 13 Hours
Children 6 years to 10 Years
10 to 11 Hours
8 Hours to 9 Hours
7 Hours Minimum
Quiet Movies Help Nap Times go Smoother
The Best Naps for Children
Babies and children need a large amount of sleep each day in order to grow and develop properly. It is physically dangerous for children to not get the minimum amount of sleep that their bodies need every day. Nap time is just as important as meal times for children.
As children become toddlers, nap time can become a bit of a challenge that parents and caretakers will have to overcome for the health of the child. Some children are able to "fall where they stand" when their bodies decide that it's time for a nap but other children fight naps and sleeping even though it is obvious that they are in need of rest.
There are different things that parents can do to help their children take better naps and decrease the protesting that so many children do when it comes time to lay down and take their much needed naps over the course of the day.
- Allow the child to take their naps where they feel comfortable. This may be in their bed, a blanket on the living room floor or on the couch.
- Try turning nap time into "quiet time." Lay the child down and allow them to watch a quiet, soothing movie. Older Disney movies work well such as Snow White, Dumbo and other movies that do not have any startling jumps in sounds that could wake the child up once they drift off to sleep.
- Have a soft stuffed animal that the child can cuddle with that is specifically for quiet time.
- Have nap times at the exact same time every day.
- Make sure that there are no physical discomforts such as a hunger, being too cold or too hot and that the child's clothing is loose and comfortable.
Those suggestions will help to ensure the best nap time experience for children while at the same time will help the ones who fight the need to sleep.
A Transportable Hammock for Napping Anywhere Outdoors!
Do You Take Naps?
The Best Naps for Adults
Naps in adulthood has been slowly but surely catching on. Some adults have always been closet nappers, snatching 40 winks in some really odd places throughout the day. Obviously these individuals have realized the benefits of catching a quick snooze to supplement the lack of sleep that the majority of us are dealing with at night.
In recent years, sleep studies and scientific research have shown that naps are in fact good for you! A quick, 30 minute nap in the afternoons can help increase productivity for the remainder of the day. Naps can make people feel better and as a result, people are more friendly and productive.
When and where a person naps can depend on many factors including opportunity. To have an effective, good nap, the environment chosen should be comfortable. This comfort is not only physical comfort, but mental as well. If you are trying to take a nap in a strange place, the primitive mind is still fully alert for dangers that can quickly jolt you awake.
Napping can be done almost anywhere. Some people say their best napping spot is the park while others prefer a nice hammock in the back yard. Just as when we were children, we will have the things that make us comfortable enough to fall asleep for our naps.
Taking the best naps for adults will vary from individual to individual. Some will require soothing music in the background and some adults never lose their appreciation for watching Dumbo or other quiet, soft movies while they drift off into dream land.
Taking a nap can be coaxed along by some of the same suggestions that will cause people to fall asleep when they are having trouble sleeping.
- Try to take a nap the same time every day. This will help the body become used to the idea of energizing at any point along the way.
- 20 to 30 minutes per day is adequate for adults.
- Hammock napping is extremely comfortable for the majority of adults once they try it. If you have never napped in a hammock, you are missing out on one of the best napping inventions ever.
It has now been scientifically proven that adults who take naps during the day on a regular basis are less stressed than adults who don't. This reduces on actually help the napping population live longer, happier and more healthy lives!