- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How to avoid sleeping in classroom
Feeling sleepy during class hours is something we all experience, and especially when you sit in the same position for a long time studying a single subject. After all, how long your brain can tolerate a single subject? There's a time limit for which your brain can concentrate in a particular activity, and after that you start feeling sleepy due to lack of concentration and therefore, understanding. But since you have to pay attention in your classes, which are important and avoid problems with your teachers, it is important to avoid sleeping during class hours.
Why you feel sleepy during class hours?
There are certain reasons which leads to sleepiness during working hours:
Lack of interest in the subject.
Lectures of same subject for a very long period.
Some medical conditions like narcolepsy.
Lack of oxygen.
Lack of energy.
How you can avoid sleeping during class hours?
Here are some of the things that I do to avoid sleep during the class hours and they're most of the time successful. I said "most of the time" because if your sleepiness is out of control (e.g. if you didn't slept last night at all) nobody can stop you from sleeping! You will fall asleep no matter what. Anyways, here are some tips that you can follow.
- Take notes during class. It's one of the best ways I've found to avoid sleep. I always make class notes and when I don't, no matter how interesting the subject is I feel sleepy. It helps me concentrate. I recommend this. Try to listen to what the lecturer is saying and try making some class notes. Class notes can prevent your sleep as well as it is useful for exams.
- Stretch your body right after you wake up in the morning and also after every class. Stretching your body relieves all the stress building up in your body.
- Go out of the class. Don't sit inside the class room. I know how humid my class gets in the summers. Humidity due to the presence of large amount of students in a room increases the heat and decreases the oxygen level in the room. And when oxygen level decreases, you feel sleepy. So, whenever you get time, like after every class, go out and walk a little bit, wash your face with cold water, breath some fresh air, and drink water.
- Sit straight. Don't slouch on the chair.
- Take long breaths during classes or whenever you start feeling sleepy. Long breaths increases the oxygen supply to the body, and therefore makes you feel refreshed.
- Keep chewing gums or toffees with you. I keep mentos with me and whenever I feel sleepy I eat it. If you're a student your teacher will never allow to eat chewing gums during class therefore toffees are a better options, since you can keep them in your mouth, without chewing. Just make sure your teacher doesn't see you eating it!
- You can keep some energy bars with you so that in case you're hungry you can eat it. When there's a lack of glucose in your body, you feel sleepy. Therefore hunger can contribute to sleepiness.
- Don't take heavy lunch. After-lunch period is the most drowsy one. You eat food and most of the oxygen is supplied in the digestive system area, leaving less amount of oxygen for rest of the body. You start feeling drowsy and you start yawning to intake more amount of oxygen to complete the body's requirement. More food, more drowsiness. So, avoid taking heavy lunch.
- Never miss your breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, which helps you go through the day. You need energy to start off the day.
- Take proper sleep. Finish up your work early and try to go to bed early. Your body needs to restore the energy which it does when you sleep. Therefore proper sleep is important for the proper functioning of the body.
- Read the topics to be covered next day in advance. Just read. It'll help you stay up in case you feel sleepy due to lack of interest or understanding. It'll definitely help you understand more during the class. Now, I don't do this everyday but whenever I do, I feel less sleepy in the subjects I don't have much interest in.
- Take a nap during the lunch break. I do this sometimes when my sleep is out of my control. This helps restore energy for next classes.
- In case you don't understand at all and you're feeling sleepy, you can pass message chits to your friends. I do this a lot when I'm feeling sleepy.
- Make sure it's not some medical condition. For this, visit your doctor.
So, these are my personally tried list which helps me prevent sleep during classes and I hope this was helpful. If you have some more ideas you can share it here with us.