- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions»
Home remedies to control diabetes
Is there any difference in the diet of a diabetic patient?
We all know that eating right in the case of diabetes is the most important thing, a doctor says to a diabetic patient. At the same time, it is also important to achieve the nutritional level required by your body. Since, in diabetic condition there are many restrictions on our food habits, it becomes difficult to abide the restrictions and achieve the nutritional requirement at the same time. Now the question is what is the right food actually? It is surprising for some of you that the nutritional requirement of normal person and a diabetic patient is same. The only difference is the kind of eatables a diabetic patient has to avoid, which a normal person does not. A diabetic patient’s diet is simply a healthy eating plan consists of high nutrients, low fat, and moderate calories. Well, this diet plan is for everyone. The only thing a diabetic patient has to do is to pay some more attention to some of the food choices, especially carbohydrates and fats.
What causes diabetes?
It is important to understand the causes of diabetes before reaching the food and understanding their properties of controlling diabetes. When we eat our food, the process of digestion comes up. During this process, the food is broken down into glucose. Glucose is the main energy source of our cells and the body. The insulin is a type of enzyme which is produced in pancreas gland helps in getting this glucose to enter the bloodstream and then into the cells. The cells then divide and grow in number, thus giving us energy. However, in the case of diabetes the production of insulin is either not sufficient or nil production of insulin or the cells are not responding to the insulin produced. Therefore, rise in the glucose level in the blood stream. The excess glucose present in the body passes out through urine and hence keeps the cells short of glucose to provide energy to the body.
Best natural remedies to treat diabetes
- Apple- Apple is one of the best fruits which has properties to help a diabetic patient to fight cholesterol. It is truly said “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Apple is naturally low in calories and high in fiber content. It has antioxidants which help in fighting other diseases. Eat unpeeled apple, to get the best out of the apples.
- Fish- According to the Harvard School of Public Health Study, eating fish once in a week can drastically reduce the risk of heart disease. Heart problems are part of the diabetes and need extra care to keep the blood flow at adequate level and pressure. The fatty acids present in the fish reduce inflammation in the body which is the main reason to these heart related complications.
- Olive oil- Olive oil has also the property to reduce the inflammation in the body like fish. Olive oil has good fat which helps in reversing the insulin resistance of the body.
- Peanut butter- The monounsaturated fats in peanut butter helps in controlling the blood sugar level. Studies have shown that eating peanut butter hold the appetite for more than two hours food having low fiber and high carbohydrates.
- Whole grain bread- The whole grain bread enhances the insulin sensitivity and keeps the blood sugar levels appropriate. White bread raises the blood sugar, so do not go for any old brown bread.
- Nuts- Nuts have higher concentration of fiber and protein which is beneficial in keeping the nutritional requirement of the body. It is also slow digestive product, which is good for blood sugar. Of course, it is high in fat but its benefits of the kind of monounsaturated fats relieve the pain of the high fat.
- Milk and Yogurt- We all know that both are rich in protein and calcium. Milk has also high fat content, but it is advisable to have skimmed milk in the case of diabetes. Both fulfill the requirement of protein and calcium without causing any harm to the patient.
- Bitter guard- This veggie is one of the best if eaten regularly to check your blood sugar level in diabetes. You can have the juice also. As the name suggests, it is quite bitter in taste but very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Asparagus- This veggie is considered beneficial in diabetes and controlling the blood sugar level. It is advised to eat it steamed and with olive oil and lemon juice. It is mild diuretic.
- Watercress- This is mild diuretic and helpful in strengthening the immunity of the body. People suffering from diabetes are often low on fighting other accompanied diseases naturally.
- Avocado- It is high in monounsaturated fats, which helps in slowing the digestion process, thus helps in keeping the blood sugar level appropriate. You can try with avocado on sandwiches instead of butter.
- Barley- This grain is very beneficial in keeping your blood sugar level low. It is almost 70 % helpful in controlling blood sugar. The presence of soluble fiber and other compounds in the barley slows down the digestion process and the absorption of carbohydrates. So, go for barley instead of white rice next time.
- Beans- Those who are vegetarian and want plenty of proteins, beans are good for them. The soluble fiber in almost all types of beans keeps a check on blood sugar levels. You can cook beans in a pressure cooker to save time. It will take only 10-15 minutes to be available on your dining table. Eat twice a week, to see desired changes in your body.
- Berries- These are full of fiber and antioxidants which helps in lowering blood sugar level and increases the production of insulin. Increased production of insulin, with added sensitivity to insulin gives a boost to convert food into energy more rapidly.
- Carrots- Carrots are the richest natural source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is highly beneficial in controlling blood sugar. The sugar content in carrots is extremely low. Don’t mistaken carrot of raising the blood sugar, it is a myth. Fry some slices of carrot with olive oil, and put some salt and pepper. This will relieve you of the craziness of crunchy junk food store.
- Sweet potatoes- Potatoes are advised to avoid a lot in diabetes. You can go for sweet potatoes instead of baked white potatoes. This will help in reducing your blood sugar level by 30 %. Sweet potatoes contain disease fighting fibers, most of them are soluble which lowers the cholesterol and slows down the process of digestion. It also enhances the sensitivity of the body towards insulin.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon helps in making the cells more sensitive to insulin. Therefore, helping the cells to convert the food into energy more rapidly. A research at Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland, on diabetic patients shows that after 40 days of having cinnamon from various sources have experienced low blood sugar level after eating and keep heart healthy.
- Green tea- Green tea reduces inflammation which is the root cause of heart related complications. Diabetic patients are often subject to heart problems and thus helpful in keeping a check on heart issues.
- Spinach and collard greens- These leafy vegetables are good sources of lutein (a carotenoid). This is good for eyes, as people with diabetes often suffer from debilitating eye problems. These are also good sources of fiber, vitamin B, iron and calcium.
- Vinegar- Vinegar is also helpful in controlling blood sugar. Vinegar contains acetic acid which interferes with enzymes responsible for the digestion of carbohydrates. Diabetic patients often have high blood sugar level after eating. Two tablespoons of vinegar before meals do the needful. You can also eat salad with a vinegar based dressing before meals.
- Indian Gooseberry or Amla- It is rich in Vitamin C and helps the pancreas gland in its full functions. Take two tablespoonful of amla juice and mix in a glass of water. Drink it empty stomach daily to keep the diabetes in check always. You can add bitter guard juice also in place of water to make it more effective.
- Mango leaves- Mango leaves are helpful in regulating insulin level in blood and also beneficial in improving lipid profile in blood. Simply, soak 10-12 mango leaves in a glass of water. Leave it overnight, filter in the morning before drinking it on an empty stomach. You can add this in your daily routine.
Myths about diabetes
There are some very common myths revolves around diabetes that you must be cleared. Below there are some myths about diabetes and diet:
- Avoid sugar at all cost- You can definitely enjoy your favorite sweet, as long as it is the part of your healthy meal plan, combined with exercise and dietary preference. You just have to plan your food intakes and accordingly, you can eat sugary products. The diabetic patients can have the desserts, after eating a low carbohydrates food.
- Diabetic patients have a special diet- There is no so called special diet for a diabetic person. A healthy meal plan for a diabetic patient is same as that of a normal person.
- Insulin is required by the diabetic patient only- Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas gland which helps the glucose to go into the bloodstream and further into the cells. Thus helps the body to covert the food into energy. Therefore, insulin is the requirement of each and every body.
- There is no treatment- Diabetes can be treated or delayed by regular checkups and strict diet routine. A change in lifestyle can definitely delay the effects of diabetes.
- Over weight causes diabetes- Diabetes can happen to anyone. We have seen, people from the sports field suffer from diabetes. Diabetes is caused by many factors and over weight is one of them. This never confirms that over weight persons are destined to suffer from diabetes.
- Diabetes is contagious- Now this one is out of this world. This is absolutely wrong and never had any case of diabetes which is caused by touching, sharing food and other source of contact with diabetic patient.
Lets see the awareness
Did you know about all the myths already?
Myths are really myths
Poll results shows almost 100% respondents never knew of all the myths surrounding diabetes. This shows, importance of awareness, we all need to update ourselves regarding the complete theory of diabetes. Try the home remedies to keep yourself fit with no side effects.