- Alternative & Natural Medicine
How to cure Tonsillitis - Home remedies for tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is caused by the inflammation (swelling and irritation) of the tonsils. There are two most common types of tonsillitis and they are viral and bacterial. The tonsils are situated at the back of the throat and they act as a defense for the body’s immune system, and also belongs to the lymphatic system. They trap and destroy bacteria and stopping it from entering the respiratory tract. In such circumstances, the process of the tonsils can become infected, which can cause tonsillitis. The adenoids can also get affected as well, and it is at the back of the nose. Tonsillitis can occur to anyone of any age, but is usually common in young children, especially at the age of 10 and over, when the relatively large tonsils and adenoids are exposed to infectious microbes. Tonsillitis is not serious unless the middle ear is infected persistently and accompanied with the tonsil infection. When a person is infected by a viral or bacterial infection in the tonsils, the throat and tonsils become swollen and red, and sometimes white patches of pus may appear. Tonsillitis can also caused by the spreading of the disease by social contact such as coughs and sneezes.
Common symptoms of Tonsillitis
- Sore throat, sometimes serious enough to cause difficulty in swallowing
- Red and enlarged tonsils
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Loss of appetite
- Bad breath
- Mouth-breathing and constant snoring
- Earaches (pain inside ear)
Other rare symptoms:
- Abdominal pains
- Glandular fever
- A sudden high temperature of around 38 degrees Celsius (100.4F)
How to treat tonsillitis
Tonsillitis which is caused by virus usually goes away on it's own. Your Body's natural immune system can get rid of the virus within 10 days. But if it’s a bacterial infection, it is difficult for our body's immune system to clear the infection without any treatment. This is why the antibiotics is prescribed to cure the infection and the course may last up to 10 days. Antibiotics will not work if the infection is caused by a viral disease. It is very important to consult with a ENT (Otolaryngology) doctor to determine the type of the infection.
During the period you should concentrate on the Treatments to reduce the discomfort from tonsillitis. Some of the most common treatment to reduce the pain are listed below:
- Gargle the mouth with warm salt water
- Drink plenty of warm and hot fluids to reduce the throat pain
- Take over the counter painkillers like paracetomol or ibuprofen
- Gargle with fenugreek leaves, which is also effective
- Avoid or reduce smoking
- Get plenty of rest and sleep
Home remedies for Tonsillitis
- Herbal Medications: Homeopathic remedies are proven to be very successful and can help you with tonsillitis. Belladonna 30C is a great natural herbal product to relieve tonsillitis. It is effective for fever and inflammation in the ears, throat and face. This product has many uses and tonsillitis can be treated with it. Another good product is the Gallium aperine, and this product is a lymphatic tonic. Basically, it deals with the lymph system and swollen glands and it is a great cleansing tonic for the body. It also deals with glandular fever. These herbal products are widely available to buy online in sites like Amazon and Ebay.
- Fenugreek Leaves: You can gargle the mouth with fenugreek leaves, as already mentioned above in the list. To do this you need to put 2 tablespoons of seeds in a glass of water, one litre is sufficient. Let it simmer by boiling it for 20-30 minutes and set it aside to cool down. Then use the whole quantity to gargle the mouth and throat.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea with added lemon and honey is a great drink to relieve tonsillitis.
- Milk: A glass of hot milk is great to relieve tonsil infections. If you have turmeric powder and pepper powder, you can add a little bit of that in the milk. The most effective time is drink the milk before you go to bed.
- Ginger and Lemon: You can boil water in a saucepan and add a piece of ginger. Let it boil for 15 minutes and set aside to cool down a little bit. Cut two slices of lemon and add that into the hot water with the ginger. Pour the fluid in a cup whilst its still warm and drink it slowly.
In general, tonsillitis can be treated in many ways. There are several remedies regardless of the type of infection, including the remedies listed above. But for some tonsillitis sufferers, it can be very serious which results in surgical removal of the tonsils. It is therefore highly recommended to see your first before deciding to undergo treatment yourself.
You might also like to read about :