- Exercise & Fitness
How to Expand Your Chest Size and Get a Wide Look
All-Natural Old-Timer Methods for Broadening Chests Do Work, Ya Know!
A large chest commands a lot of attention, especially when the rest of your body is proportionately fit. When reading the works of writers such as Liedermann and Randall Strossen, you encounter the idea that it is possible to expand and enlarge the chest. How can you do the same?
There are many cases of proverbial weaklings with 33-inch chests who turned themselves around to 45+ inches. For proper expansion, first you must understand something about chest and torso structure. The chest is composed of muscle, bone, and connecting tissue—so to expand your physic, you must focus on all three areas. Here is how.
Step One: Do Deep Breath Holds and Breathing Squats to Broaden a Narrow Skeletal Frame
First, let's focus on the bone structure. It has been shown that bone completely remodels itself every three months. In addition to that, as has been shown in studies of weightlifters, bone increases in density as more weight is placed upon it—a weightlifter definitely has stronger bones than the average person on the street. So what we want to do is to regularly place force upon the bones so that they will grow bigger (and in some aspects, longer). This will also end up encouraging the connecting tissue to expand and enlarge as well. Do these two exercises to help expand your skeletal system:
Deep Breath Holds
A very basic exercise is to take a deep breath and hold it. Set aside some time every morning and afternoon to do the following:
- Clasp your hands in front of your waist and take the deepest breath possible.
- Hold the breath in tightly, while raising your clasped hands up in front of you.
- While holding your breath, try to move your arms to your sides against the resistance of your clasped hands.
- Hold this expanded position for as long as you can.
- Repeat at least 10 times.
Follow this with what are called breathing squats with pullovers 3 times a week with reasonably heavy weights. Do the following:
- Take an extremely deep breath and squat down. While squatting, be sure to keep your knees over your ankles; your form should appear as though you're sitting into a chair.
- Breathe out on the way back up.
- Repeat at least 20 times.
- Immediately follow breathing squats with pullovers on the floor.
- When squats begin to seem easy, you can add weights. Place the weight across the back of your shoulders. The video below shows how to do so, although you will want to begin with a weight size that is reasonable for you.
Step Two: Use Pullovers to Strengthen Your Connecting Tissues
Remember, bones, connecting tissues, and muscles must all be strengthened in order to broaden your chest. Pullovers are the perfect exercise to strengthen the connecting tissues in your chest. An example of pullovers is shown in the video below—however, you will want to start with a weight size that is reasonable for you.
This is how a pullover is done:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent.
- Hold a reasonable weight above your head on the floor, with elbows slightly bent.
- Then straighten your elbows to lift the weight above your head and slowly let it fall back down. Each time the arms go down, there must be a puling sensation in your ribs.
- Repeat this 20 times.
This will take care of the bone and connecting tissues.
Step Three: Broaden Your Chest Muscles
The next area to focus on is the chest muscles. Start working on your chest muscles after two months of practice with steps one and two, above.
Basic chest exercises are the chest dip and the standing military press. These will build up the lower chest region, as well as the upper chest and shoulder tie-in area.
Alternate between the chest dip and the standing military press for every workout. For each, you will use moderately heavy weights for 5 sets of 5 reps. Once you are able to do the 5x5, increase the weights slightly.
Standing Military Press
Best of Luck!
One year of these, and you will definitely kiss your narrow chest goodbye, my friend! All the best!