- Quality of Life & Wellness
How to find job satisfaction.
For many people, life is a dreamcatcher. All the good dreams in life filter through, while the bad dreams remain caught in the net. When dawn arrives, the bad dreams slowly evaporate into the warmth of the new day.
Why do we have bad dreams? One possibility would be the fact that we work long hours, usually eight hours a day, and the things we experience during these hours may have a negative effect on us. It’s not easy to process the bad experiences we have at work and then when we go to sleep, we have all these disturbing dreams.
As soon as we are awake, we throw ourselves into the new day and soon forget about our dreams.
Many of us have bad experiences at work. Sometimes the experiences we encounter are bad because we are unhappy with the work that we are doing. When we stop to think about it, we will realise that we sacrifice a lot of our precious time trying to earn a living. The truth is, if we’re unhappy at work, we tend to become less interested in doing anything. Once we lose interest, we start neglecting certain duties, procrastinate, and eventually do less than we really should. Doing less gives us more time to focus on negative emotions and influences. Our days slow down and we are depleted of our valuable energy. By the time we get home we feel stressed, anxious, and exhausted.
For most of us, money is the driving force to being happy and we are never really happy or satisfied with what we have. If this is the case, a good quote for us to remember is: Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. ~Lao Tzu
We may think finding another job is the solution, but, with the high rate of unemployment in many countries, finding another job is never easy. Even if we do get another job, it doesn’t guarantee happiness.
It’s important that we learn to find a way to be happy in what we do. Here are a few ideas:
- Being enthusiastic: When we show an interest in our work, we will find ourselves enjoying it. Even if we’re not interested, we can learn to enjoy our work by giving it our full attention. Being absorbed in the work, we will find that we are too busy to be unhappy and time will pass much quicker.
- Giving our best: When we give our best, we learn to be proud of our efforts. This leads to a sense of job satisfaction. The more effort we put into what we are doing, the more energized we become. We end up setting new standards and personal goals, which will open doors to new opportunities. We should learn to compete with ourselves, rather than others. How? We can keep track of our daily productivity. If we learn to increase it, we will eventually work up to our potential.
- Personalising our job: When we put our personal stamp on what we’re doing, we learn to be proud of it. If our job has some basic rules and guidelines, we don’t have to stick to doing only that which is expected of us. We can put ourselves into the job and enjoy doing things “our own personalised way”. Perhaps we can try a creative approach to whatever we are doing. It will make our efforts more interesting.
- Expanding our horizons: When we learn new things, our brain increases its capacity to process information. Things about our job that used to bore us may become interesting as we increase our knowledge. If there is absolutely nothing to learn in our field of work, we can still expand our horizons by learning something that is indirectly related to the work.
- Being positive: When we face different obstacles in the work place, it can lead to a negative attitude. We must learn to rise above feelings that control us like anger, frustration, jealousy or disillusionment. We must remain focused on our own challenges, the standards and goals that we have set for ourselves. We need to be positive about any changes in the work place or our own unsuccessful attempts in achieving things. If we can learn to forget about the past and see each new day as a clean slate with new opportunities, we will find ourselves moving forward to greater things.
- Being healthy: When we are healthy, we are able to do so much more. We will find it easier to be happy. A good night’s rest, a healthy diet and a suitable exercise programme will help us to achieve our goals.
If we really want to be happy, we need to enjoy what we do. Each one of us has the power to do so.