How to get a good night rest
The best way to start your day
A good night's sleep is the only way to start your day, but unfortunately some people can't seem to get the proper sleep. Sleep is just as essential for surviving as eating. Improper sleep can effect the course of your whole day; it can effect your mental, emotional, and physical health.
Getting a good nights rest
Getting a good night sleep requires planning; you need to set a sleeping regiment. This way you'll be more refreshed, energized and ready to get out of bed to start your day. When setting your bedtime pick a time that you feel the most tired to avoid tossing and turning. Also you need a waking time. Naturally you'll wake up at the same time if you got enough sleep, but to be on the safe side set your alarm clock for a specific time.
After you set your bedtime eventually you'll be tempted to stay up late (especially on the weekend), but by taking a nap you can make up for those lost hour of sleep you missed. Not only will you make up for lost sleep, but you won't break your sleep regiment by waking up late.
Common sleeping mistakes
There are common sleeping mistakes that will ruin the quality of sleep. For example, I mentioned that you should turn off all appliances creating light. Other common mistakes we make would be:
- Eating big meals- This will make it hard for your body to digest, which will cause you to stay up. You also wanna avoid spicy foods for it can cause heartburn.
- Alcohol- Some people may use alcohol to fall asleep, but they don't realize that alcohol will ruin the quality of sleep; you may find yourself constantly waking up in the middle of the night. Not to mention the hangover you'll undoubtedly experience the next morning.
- Smoking- Nicotine is a stimulant which can disturb sleep and smokers are faced with nicotine withdrawal which will also disturb sleep.
- Too many drinks- This can cause frequent trips to the bathroom. Drinking caffeinated drinks will have an even worse effect.
- Stress- You've heard people say "don't go to sleep mad" right? When you have something heavy on your mind you lose sleep as you begin to ponder over it. You'll find yourself waking up in the middle of the night and finding it hard to fall right back to sleep. To battle this problem try to manage your thoughts carefully. There is always a silver lining in any situation, so its best to focus on the good (tomorrow is a new day so don't waste it).
Setting the mood
The right atmosphere can give you the most effective rest you've ever had. Less exposure to light lets our body know that's time for bed. To do this you need to eliminate as much light in the room as possible. You can eliminate the light in your room by turning off the television some people use the TV to fall asleep (if so set the sleeper),but with this light exposure and noise you my find yourself waking up in the middle of the night. Sometimes once you wake up you have a hard time falling back to sleep. You could buy dark curtains to help block the light from the window. Light isn't the only thing you need to eliminate from your room, but also sound; this may be hard to do for some people who live in the city or own dogs. If you have a problem controlling the volume in your room then you may wanna consider purchasing a fan to mask the noise, earplugs, or white noise. The most important thing is to make sure that you have the right bed. You to have enough room of course, but if you wake up sore, then it would be a good idea to experiment with different levels of firmness.
Going back to sleep
As mention above if you wake up in the middle of the night you may find it hard to go back to sleep; it’s important that you get your proper sleep. One thing you don’t want to do is to try to start your day knowing you didn’t get your 7 to 8 hours of sleep; you won’t be as effective as you would be if you had 7 to 8 hours of sleep. If you can’t sleep due to stress then try to take your mind off of it and replace it with something else (something more uplifting). In some cases you can’t go back to sleep, because you’re too excited; if so try to find something boring to do until you fall back to sleep.
Proper sleep will allow you be more alert though out your day allowing you to perform at your best; so be sure that your getting the right amount of sleep as well as high quality of sleep.
© 2013 Derrick Bennett