How to get rid of burn scars
The first step towards curing burns is seeking proper treatment from a doctor. It will facilitate easy healing of the wound and prevent development of complications. Sometimes, immediate treatment can help prevent the formation of burn scars.It important for affected individuals to be patient as burn scars can take some time to disappear completely. Some steps to get rid of burn scars are listed below:
- Avoid using lotions or creams on the burn wound just after the burn. Visit a doctor and then use prescribed antibiotic and antiseptic creams. The wound needs to be bandaged and the bandage has to be changed twice a day. Treatment for getting rid of burn scars can begin after the wound has healed.
- Immediate application of a paste of turmeric and cold water on the affected region can help prevent the development of a burn scar. Turmeric acts an antiseptic while cold water alleviates the burning sensation. You may also dab the area with a cotton ball soaked in cold milk.
- Doctors may also prescribe oral/topical medications containing corticosteroids or antihistamine for eliminating burn scars. Another option is the use of skin patches containing medicines that lighten burn scars. Use of moisturizers is also suggested.
- Severe burn scars that hamper daily activities can be treated with laser therapy or steroid injections.
- Do not expose a burn wound or a burn scar to direct sunlight. Use sunblock and other protective gears to avoid direct contact with sunlight.
There are many home remedies that can efficiently get rid of burn scars. Some of them are discussed below:
- Honey is known for its skin healing qualities. Applying honey on the affected skin (multiple times per day) can help get rid of burn scars.
- Use a cotton ball dipped in cucumber juice to tighten the pores and slowly eliminate burn scars. Application of fresh lemon juice on the affected areas on a daily basis can make it healthy and clear.
- Mash a ripe banana into a paste. Apply it on the burn scar. Let the paste stay on for 10 to 15 minutes and then thoroughly clean with cold water. It is a great way to get rid of burn scars.
- Acne scars get healed via topical use of tomato juice. Patients can cut a tomato and apply it directly on a burn scar. Its skin lightening action will reduce the intensity of scarring and improve its appearance.
- Topical application of a mixture of rose water and sandalwood powder is one of the most effective ways to get rid of burn scars. Apply the paste on the affected areas and let it remain overnight. Later wash it with cold water. It will not only diminish the burn scars but will also add a natural glow to the skin. Patients may also opt for a paste of sandalwood, black gram, and water.
- One of the best home remedies for removing burn scars is topical use of Aloe Vera juice on a daily basis. Let the juice stay on for 20 minutes before washing it off. Keep using it till the scar fades away.
- Massaging enhances blood circulation which in turn leads to increased passage of nutrients to the areas that are massaged. The delivery of vital nutrients can eventually help get rid of burn scars and scarred tissue.
- Daily use of ice on the burn scars can help ease inflammation and burning sensation as well as lighten the affected area.
- Application of varied herbs such as Neem paste, raw garlic paste, and juice of mint leaves are also effective methods to get rid of burn scars. It may be noted that Neem contains Nimbidol and Gedunin which have fungicidal properties.
- Take a warm water bath and then apply tea tree oil or olive oil on the scars. The oil will then get readily absorbed into the skin and help lighten the scar. You may also use a cotton ball soaked in blanched green tea to get rid of burn scars.
- Oral intake of vitamin E capsules or topical application of vitamin E oil can not only help get rid of burn scars but also results in glowing healthy skin.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight in water and later grind them to make a paste. Apply it on affected areas, let it dry, and later wash it off.
- Other home remedies for eliminating burn scars include daily and ample use of wheat germ oil; application of a mixture of yogurt and rice powder; and daily massages with almond oil.
The above mentioned home remedies will be most effective if theyare combined with the intake of a healthy and balanced diet. Patients need to consume lots of nutrient-rich fresh green vegetables and fruits as well as lots of water to naturally heal damaged skin and get rid of burn scars. It may also be noted that smoking prevents the flow of adequate oxygenated blood to the skin. Hence, patients should quit or abstain from smoking.