What causes mass shootings? James Holmes and Colorado shooting, an analysis of why it happened and how to prevent it!!
Increasing trend of mass shootings like James Holmes in Colorado
Mass shootings by gun whether in school, picture hall or public place by a single individual is on an increasing trend. The case of James Holmes involved in Colorado massacre just brings us back to the problems that our society is facing today. This violence reflects something bigger about society and the times in which we are living. What can be done to prevent mass shootings like Colorado and avoid kids becoming James Holmes?
The solution to prevent mass shootings requires some understanding of the problem and human psychology. Our thoughts play a key role in shaping and determining our future.
As the famous bible verse, Proverb 23:7 says,
"For as he thinks in his heart, so is he"
So, what a man tends to think persistently, determines his future actions and hence, his destiny.
However, the next question is what causes somebody to think positive and become philanthropist, social worker and another to think negative and become mass murderer?
The answer is simple. Our environment, closest people, the things that we focus on determine our thinking, which creates a belief system and way of living. If our environment is positive, uplifting and the people we associate are good, we tend to become like that. Based upon this understanding, here are few steps that can be taken to prevent mass shootings and avoid young children from becoming murderers:
1. Say "no" to violent movies. Violent movies create virtual reality in the minds of young people. This violence in thoughts is dangerous to human society. Many kids are just waiting to put their thoughts in reality and any small trigger can create another massacre. Movies that contain violence need to be completely removed from our society.
2. Say "no" to violent games. Violent video games with gun shootings and gun games need to be banned. These games are not cool. They are dangerous and feeding wrong things to the new generation. As a society, we need to take big steps to avoid our young generation being exposed to such games, weapons of mass destruction. It is a small seed that starts from a game but it takes only one individual to make it a reality for all.
3. More God time. As society is moving towards advancement, people are forgetting God and spirituality. The current focus is mainly on career, material success. When hard times come, young generation has nothing to fall back on and fall into traps of alcoholism, destruction and suicide. These harmful behavior can be avoided if young generation has strong spiritual values.
4. More family time. When parents spend quality time with children, it makes a big difference to children. Historically, fathers used to be absentees from nurturing and family talks but now the trend is moving towards both fathers and mothers becoming absentees from quality family nurturing. With many households with double income but no time for children, the society is waiting for big disasters to come. The solution is balance. Both men and women, need to reduce the working hours and come to a place, where they can spend quality time with family and earn money, run household at the same time.
5. More community and peace projects. Young generation needs involvement in creative projects where they learn about values like peace, kindness, unity. Good company can make a big difference in the lives of people, especially where family is missing due to some reasons. Good community projects start ups, can be a good way to bring young people together and help them do organized volunteer work.
Solution to mass shootings is simple. We need to focus on peace and clean our environment to make this place a better place for all. Spirituality and strong families can make a big difference to the young generation.