How to see failure as a stepping stone?
FAILURE. The word itself is scary enough to cause goosebumps or at least potent enough to cause a disturbance in the mind as well as in the body which might leave an individual frozen for a couple of minutes. However, failure creates a challenging environment for some but everyone does not possess the characteristics that keep them motivated even after a number of trials. Plus being humans, we do lose hope at times and might get very negative about life. Well, there's nothing to be embarrassed about as all of us go through difficulties and disappointments many times during our lives. It's a part of life. Life takes sadness to know what happiness is. Have you ever thought about how boring and dull would life be if it's exactly the same everyday. In fact, the beauty of life lies in change. After all, this change is responsible for all the development we see today.
Most of the times, failure is viewed as something evil. No matter how terrible it is to face failure, it is there for a cause. And that cause is to make you, not to break you. People always consider failure as something negative but most of you would be familiar with the fact that perspective changes everything. It has the tendency to turn things upside down. If you're carrying negative thoughts, you will encounter negativity all around. But if you stay positive or at least try to do so, life will start unfolding its secrets and beauty and will make you happy inside out. There are certain factors that will help you stay positive, determined and motivated even during the darkest storms:
1. Success in progress: Yes, it might sound crazy to some but it's true. Failure really is success in progress. If a person fails, that is just because he/she is trying and keep moving towards something. So, failure is one of those obstacles that's nothing but an opportunity to make progress.
2. Believe in yourself: The most important thing to hold onto during the hardest times is faith. Never lose hope and always believe that something better is on its way. Don't doubt your worth and your abilities because there's nothing that cannot be done if you're determined enough to make it work.
3. Gratitude: Attitude of gratitude can help you way more than you think. Many of you might be wondering that how is it possible to be grateful after going through all those unfortunate circumstances, but it is possible. It's all in your head. Nothing troubles you more than your own thoughts. So, if you just think about it for some time, you'll realize that it could have been worse and if you take a look around, you'll see how much you have to be thankful for and people really do have it a lot worse than you do.
4. Exhale negative thoughts: It is very easy to sink into negativity when one faces something difficult. But instead of dwelling on those negative thoughts, think about the things that make you happy. Past memories, beautiful moments spent with your loved ones, nature. Of course, nature! It helps you let go of the negativity and one feels light and comforted in the company of nature. It leaves a really positive impact on the heart as well as the mind of the individuals.
5. Never give up: As it has already been explained that giving up is the only failure. It is very easy to give up but it takes courage to face the music and to emerge as the stronger version of yourself. I believe that all of us got what it takes to look troubles in the eye and fight back. All you have to do is just believe in your inner strength and you're almost there.
6. Don't underestimate yourself: We all are gifted. These gifts may vary from person to person but that doesn't mean that your abilities or talents are inferior as compared to the others. People ask about your favorite color several times and you name one or two or even more. But what would the world be like if it just contained your favorite colors? It does have the colors you like the least but the simple fact is that the world would be incomplete if they were missing. Think about yourself as those colors. You are given this life for a certain purpose and you are special in so many beautiful ways. Okay, let's just think the other way round for a while. Think about the times when you were the only hope, when someone was depending on you, when you were there for someone? These were some of the purposes. If you weren't there for someone when they were going through hard times, they might have taken intense steps out of loneliness or just out the fact that they had no one to talk to. And nothing could be better than to help someone by being a listening ear or just standing by them.
7. Don't be too hard on yourself: You love others and you forgive others. Sometimes, it's too hard to forgive them but you still manage to do so. But have you ever thought about how much do you love yourself? Or how hard it is for you to forgive yourself? You show compassion to others but you always leave yourself behind. You, too deserve love and no one can love you until you love yourself. If you don't respect yourself, how do you expect others to? So, start loving yourself and know that you are precious. You never know how many people feel inspired just because of you.
8. Don't compare yourself to others: You are different and that individuality of yours is what helps you stand out. Don't just blend in. Celebrate your uniqueness. No one has ever given a satisfying definition of success. So, if you feel like a failure just because you see others have better stuff or you see them going more fast than you, you are wrong. You never know what goes on in their lives and you don't even know if they call themselves successful or not. So, take time to appreciate what you have and work hard to get what you want. Never let anything hinder your progress. Count your blessings and cherish them. Although, this is very hard to be practiced and sometimes, life gets too rough that you have no idea about what you're gonna do and if you'd be able to stand it or not. But you can only reach the top if you take the first step, no matter how difficult it may seem. So, take your first step today and think of the light you're going to witness at the end of the tunnel.
© 2015 Ishamital