- Alternative & Natural Medicine
How to treat acne with 12 best home remedies
The word acne comes from the word acme which means "the highest point". This acme word came from akme a greek word meaning "point or spot". Teenagers are the most sufferers of this very common skin disorder. A survey shows that 11-30 years old persons are most likely to suffer from acne or pimple. Often young boys and girls face degraded confidence in public due to acne and the scars left after healing. Acne or pimples are generally visible on nose, cheeks, forehead and sometimes on neck. In this article, you are going to know some of the best home remedies to treat acne at home with great ease.
What causes acne?
Medically known as Acne Vulguris is one of the common skin disorders in puberty. Acne generally starts with blackhead which comes out on face when the dead cells and oil is stuck in the pores of the skin and then turn black. Though it is not much dangerous, but leaves scars for the lifetime in some cases. Our skin has small pores which can not be seen with naked eyes.These small pores are connected to the oil glands located just under the skin. 'Follicles' sometimes called 'small canals' connects these oil glands to the pores. The oil glands produce sebum a type of oily liquid whose main function is to carry dead cells through follicles to the surface of the skin. Acne or pimple takes birth when the follicles gets blocked or in other words the dead cells are trapped in the skin with oil.
Actually, as we enters the puberty the there is a rise in androgen level, a type of hormone. The rise in androgen level increases the size of the oil glands and then these enlarged oil glands secrete more oil than normal. The extra production of sebum or oil by glands can sometimes break the follicles, thereby gives rise to accumulation of oil and dead cells under the skin.
Types of acne
You must be surprised to know there are six types of acne.
- Whiteheads- It is the first impression of acne and generally remains under the skin.
- Blackheads- It is on the skin and appears black on the skin due to accumulation of dead cells under the skin.
- Papules- Papules are generally small bumps on the surface of the skin in pink colour.
- Pastules- These are sometimes more paining as they are red at base and has pus at the top.
- Nobules- Nobules start from deep under the skin. These are solid, large pimples and the most painful of all the types of acne.
- Cysts- Cysts can cause lifetime scars on the skin. It is also painful and has pus at the top.
Cinnamon powder and honey
Cinnamon powder and honey paste is good for treating acne. Honey is an antibacterial agent which is helpful in eliminating acne and bacteria. Cinnamon powder is an antiinflamatory agent and anti clotting agent. Mix two teaspoonful of honey with 1/2 ounce of cinnamon powder. Your face pack is done here. Now just apply this paste on your face preferbly on the pimples and the acne before going to bed. Wash your face in the morning with warm water
Take orange peels in a bowl, grind it properly and add some water. Make a paste and apply on acne affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash with cold water. You can apply this on entire face, it also adds glow on your face.
Strawberries are good for overall skin care. Slice the top of the strawberry and rub the top of the fruit on the pimples very gently. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it with cold water. Apply it twice a week for better results.
Turmeric powder and neem leaves
Both turmeric powder and neem leaves are beneficial to skin and helps to take the impurities out of the body. Take some turmeric powder as required and some neem leaves. Grind the neem leaves and then mix turmeric powder. Apply the paste on your face and leave it for 20-30 minutes and then wash with cold water. This is helpful in treating acne with a glowing face.
Tomatoes are one of the best to treat acne or pimples. Tomato is rich in vitamin A, C and K which can be found in most of the acne healing medicines. It is also acidic in nature which keeps it dry. Take one tomato and slice it. Mash up the tomato and apply it all over your face. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash with cold water. Apply this thrice a week for better results.
Honey can be used on some large pimples. Put some honey on those extra large pimples before going to bed. Cover it with a bandaid and leave it. Next morning gently take off the bandaid to see the smaller size. Regular use can clear off the acne.
This is one of the best natural skin care product. Its use is very simple. Just take out the gel out of the leaf of aloe vera plant. Apply the gel on the pimples and leave it for 20 minutes. Then wash it with normal cold water. Use this twice a week for best results. It is also a natural skin nourishing product.
Baking soda face mask
Take some baking soda and add some water. Mix it until a paste is formed. Apply the paste only on the pimples in a circular motion. Leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse it with ice cold water using cotton balls. Remember, do not use it all over your face, or it may worsen your acne.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is good if you want to keep away acne. Get a bottle of apple cider vinegar and add some water. The ratio is 4 parts of water and one part of vinegar. Keep this solution in a bottle and apply every night before going to bed and then wash with cold water in the morning. Regular use of this solution can keep acne down.
Nutmeg and cloves
Nutmeg, cloves and milk are three ingredients of this method. Take 1 teaspoonful of nutmeg and 2 teaspoonful of cloves and 1/4 cup of milk. Mix all of them and heat it for a little over 10 minutes. Let it get cooler. Apply the solution on your face. Regular use can heal acne and prevents new acne formation.
Raw potato is anti inflammatory and help in reducing blemishes. Take a raw potato and slice it into two halves. Apply it by gently rubbing on the acne. You can also use it by making a paste. Grind the raw potato with very little water and apply the paste on acne affected area. This will help you in reducing blemishes and also heals acne.
It is very useful in cleansing process. It contains 85% of water and helps in cleaning dead cells and other impurities which gives rise to acne. Grind it adding some water and make a paste. Use it as a face wash or face pack regularly to keep away acne.
- How to control diabetes with home foods and recipes
Diabetes is treated with regular checkups and strict healthy life style to keep the parameters of the body intact. There are some common home food which has the property to keep diabetes in control
Some tips to keep away acne
There are some general suggestions to prevent acne from surfacing and prevent it from getting worse.
- Never wipe off your pimples, it gives rise to the number of pimples to unaffected area. Popping pimples can cause inflammation and may give a lifetime scar on your face.
- Wash your face with a suitable cleanser only twice a day. Over washing can extract the necessary moisture out of your face skin and leave it dry and dull which may worsen the situation.
- Keep your diet abundant with glycemic foods, vegetable and fresh fruits. Drink lots of water about 8 to 10 glass a day.
- Restrict yourself of consuming junk food. It has some bad fats, oil and other ingredients which gives rise to condition suitable for acne.
- Exfoliate your skin twice a week, not more than that. Some times favourable results tends to give an impression that more you exfoliate the more you gain against acne. However, it is not beneficial to exfoliate more than twice a week. Over exfoliation can give rise to irritation and redness on the skin.
- While using a makeup foundation. Go for water based, oil free foundation which is more natural and also helps in controlling blemishes and sudden outbreak of acne.
- Avoid touching the pimples or acne again and again. Our hands gives shelter to number of bacteria which if gets in contact with the pimples may worsen the situation.
Which is the most problematic area of acne for you?
Poll results shows, 49 % of respondents suffer from acne over their cheeks. Cheeks are the first to watch, when we smile or talk to someone. Exfoliate your face every day in upper motion to clean your face skin of the dead cells.