ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Health»
  • Diseases, Disorders & Conditions»
  • Cancer


Updated on November 10, 2010


 6 days have passed since I received the news that my CHOP treatment of Chemotherapy had dealt with my tumour and that my metabolic response to treatment had been excellent. As a friend-mailed, it is always best to have a good metabolic response whatever that may be. I must research the answer for him. Learning to live with cancer is a difficult proposition but so is the position immediately after the good news. Let me explain. The news is good! Joy and gratitude abound, but internally it is just the same as before. The CHOP Chemo is still in the body and 2 more doses will be soon, firstly on Friday and then 14 further days on. Nothing will have changed until December 10th in this area, being 14 days after CHOP 6 and one day after my next meeting with the Consultant. One thing has changed, I will NOT be having a CT Scan prior to Dec 10th as they now feel it is too short a time since the last one for safe radiation absorption. Thus, the Consultant will have no further evidence to assist when we meet.

However, as before, I am focusing on the next stage which is Chemo 5 on Friday and awaiting a date to see the urologist Consultant for my poly urea{ needing lots of visits to loo, especially at night}. I am becoming obsessed with this and the cause for it. They feel it could be a reaction to CHOP but do not know for certain, hence the request for the urologist. I await developments with interest!

I am also, this time to have an injection in my back. This is called INTRATHECAL METHOTREXATE Chemotherapy. I understand this is less difficult than the bone marrow extraction I had before treatment, so holds no gremlins and is regarded as a precautionary measure.

Thus, though the good news has come, the ongoing care continues, for which I am indeed grateful and there is no question of me being cast aside and told just to get on living. All efforts are being made to hopefully ensure no return of the disease and that is just as key as was removing the tumour initially. The standard of care in my NHS Hospital at Southend is second to none and I count myself fortunate indeed to receive it.

Thus, we go into the recovery stage, still adopting PMA  for each day with the resolve to work on my physical well being as well as the mental. That involves remedial exercise initially and we have made a start, knowing the first month is worst after an enforced long lay off since June.More on this topic later in my hubs, but for now it is just good to be able to work out a little with a head that does not wander back constantly to one thing. If I were to be asked what living with cancer is like, that would be my description, for try as one might, the mind constantly moves back to the fact that it is within you and no matter how hard you try it is always there. Thus, release from that lightens and expands the thinking and makes for a far happier ,constant disposition.


I would be remiss if I did not indicate the amazing response to my news of last week. E-mails from all over, including China, Thailand, Egypt and Turkey, not to mention UK,have literally flown in and it is heartwarming to think that so many have followed the news and the voyage of the last 6 months with such interest and share in our rejoicing at the position we are now at. Very humbly, thanks to each and everyone.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.