- Fertility & Reproductive Systems
I'm Having Their Baby!
Renting Out The Front Room
If you are in perfect health and have an iron will and a vacant uterus, you may be tempted to look into the lucrative world of surrogacy, but be advised; there is more to the process than meets the eye. The level of commitment and scrutiny given to a woman is a lot more thorough than the sample a man gives to a sperm bank. There are a lot of risks involved, but the rewards are well worth it.
Baby's Other Mama
Statistics on Surrogacy
Surrogacy is such a new fertility option, the statistical data are limited. According to Modern Family Surrogacy Center:
- Between the years 2004 and 2008, over 5,000 children born in the United States were born through surrogacy.
- The success rate of surrogate mothers under 35 years of age is 60%.
- Blastocyst transfer, the act of transferring a fertilized egg to a surrogate, is continuing to improve as the surrogacy option becomes more popular.
The Ideal Candidate
There are requirements to becoming a surrogate mother, and they are as follows:
- You have to have given birth to a healthy baby with no complications.
- If you are in an intimate relationship, your partner must comply with all requirements.
- You must clear criminal and health screenings; this includes being a non-smoker.
- You must have a healthy body mass index for your height
- You must be financially stable with reliable transportation.
Giving the Gift of Life
One Surrogate's Story
Do Your Research
The pregnancy process may be similar, but the preparation involved is entirely different. Surrogates often take rounds of delestrogen via a giant needle, coupled with oral medications to give the implantation process the best chance to be successful. Given the amount of time and money invested, the constant test and doctor's visits are necessary. The couple is counting on you to deliver their baby into this world in great health, so count the costs, and if you are still willing to take the journey, go for it. There is financial gain, but it cannot be the only motivation. It takes a special person to give the opportunity to be a parent to another family.
Bundle of Joy
If you are eligible for surrogacy, this is not just your journey. Since you are already a mother, this is a journey for not only you but the entire family. You will carry, protect and bond with a child that is not your own, and your little ones may not fully comprehend that mommy is having a baby for someone else. Prepare yourself mentally for the experience as best you can.