Hugging Yourself To Better Health
Give Yourself a Hug. It's Good For What Ails You
Steps For Hugging Yourself Physically and Mentally
Give yourself a hug each day - especially if you live alone. You can treat yourself to a physical hug, or a mental-inspiring hug. I do both.
To hug yourself physically:
- Simply wrap your arms around yourself so that opposite hands touch and cling to the back of the shoulders.
- Take a nice deep breath and hold the hug for 25 seconds.
- Remember to breathe using belly breathing during the process.
- Close your eyes and see yourself as a precious child.Your body will relax and let go.Wonderful!
To hug yourself mentally and spiritually:
- Sit in a comfortable place.
- Begin to notice your breathing, deep and soothing.
- Let your body completely relax.
- Follow your mind to a peaceful, beautiful, private place.
- As you visualize your secret garden, imagine a radiant light coming toward you. It enters your heart.
- From the heart, the light flows through every part of your body. It fills you with total peace.
- When you are filled with this peaceful state, the light begins to surround your outer-body, lingering and hugging you. You are now one, with God and with the universe.
How To Hug Yourself
Healthy Ways To Hug Yourself
Other ways to hug yourself:
- Learn to love who you are and begin putting your needs first. You can't do for others when you are weak, sick, in pain or depressed.
- It's not selfish to take time to exercise
- Prepare a healthy and nutritious diet and enjoy every bite of food.
- Meditate for a few minutes each day,
- Socialize with friends or attend discussions and classes.
- Take a power nap. Fifteen minutes is all you need.
- Laugh often, especially laugh at yourself.
Do You See The Glass as Half Empty or Half Full?
Attitude Is The Foundation Of Good Physical And Mental Health
Attitude is the foundation of good health. When we see the glass as half-full instead of half-empty, we actually set up the conditions needed for living a healthy life-style.
Studies now show that our immune system responds to the way we think which affects our health. Breaking the negative thinking habit is a huge pay-off. The quickest way to do this is to begin a program of positive affirmations. Think of it this way - every time you replace a negative thought with a positive thought you are giving yourself a mental hug.
Give Your Heart A Hug With Exercise
If you hate to exercise - okay, I get it. So don't exercise. Instead, just move now and then. Even if you only vacuum the floor you absolutely must move.
Your physical energy and over-all health depends on exercising your heart muscle. But you already know this. You've heard it again and again. Baby steps, my friend. Do a little bit at a time then gradually increase your activity until you are moving for at least 20 minutes each day.
And guess what? The latest studies have shown that your activity does not have to be continuous. You can accumulate your time. Ten minutes here, 10 minutes there - you get the picture. A walk is probably the best way to go, however, you can also get moving by dancing, washing the car, cleaning, shopping or make the bed 10 times. :)
Drinking Water Helps to Flush Out Toxins
Why Should I Drink At Least 6-8 Ounces Of Water Daily?
Is it really important to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water every single day? Just how much water should I be drinking each day? You may be surprised to learn that the answer is not a "one size fits all" answer. The thing that determines how much water we should be drinking is:
- Our weight
- The climate we live in
- Our level of activity
Wikihow.com states, "There are a variety of reasons to drink plenty of water each day. Adequate water intake prevents dehydration, cleans out the body, and promotes healing processes. Substituting water for beverages high in calories can also help control weight."
I once had a really hard time drinking enough water each day. I finally learned that water is an acquired taste. My friends also suggested I add a couple of lemon slices, or lime to my water and that helped.
Then I found that adding a slice of cucumber also livened up the taste of plain water. Another trick I like, is to add organic 100% cranberry juice. It's all natural with no added sugar. If you like this idea, be sure to dilute it with plenty of water and a kick of Stevia.
An added benefit for me - and a big motivator to drink my H20 - was losing a few extra pounds each month.
Eat Your Greens Hug Your Body
Hug Those Antioxidants
Now is the time to build an army of antioxidants. One sure way to begin is by developing the habit of eating green.
Begin to think about the results or consequences of the foods you put into your body. You already know the program - you've heard it often enough. Again, it's about making choices - the right choices.
When you can, grow your own vegetables and herbs, it's fun, rewarding, and healthier than purchasing these foods at the market. Planting from seeds is a great money-saver too.
Summing It Up
You may feel a bit strange the first few times you give yourself a hug but do it just the same. Each time you try this hold the hug a little longer and you'll soon get used to it. It's a wise choice to make.
And speaking of making wise choices this is perhaps the most important thing we can do to improve our health. Do any of the following ring a bell?
- Should I see my doctor? I hate having a mammogram - maybe I'll skip it this year.
- The last time I had a blood test, it felt like the technician was drilling for oil. I'm not doing this again.
- It may be broken, but I'll just wait and see.
- I'm too sick to go to emergency.
- I had a complete physical last year, so I'm gonna skip it this year.
- I don't need a good nights sleep. Plenty of time for that when I'm dead.
The best way to apply a healthy dose of self-love is to try the following:
- Eat a nutritional diet and keep your body moving with some form of exercise.
- Take control of your life - be accountable. Stop blaming others and circumstances for your misfortunes.
- You have been given free-will. Use it wisely.
- Begin a gratitude journal and list yourself as #1.
One of the reasons I loved living in Hawaii for so long was the way the locals always greeted each other with a hug. There was not an ounce of embarrassment. It's simply a way of life. I miss that wonderful warm way of greeting one another.
But I follow my own advice...I give myself an aloha hug each and every day. I hope you will too.
Give One Person a Hug Each Day and Build Your Immune System
How healthy are you?
Have you ever hugged yourself?
Everybody needs a hug. It changes your metabolism.
© 2011 Audrey Hunt