Intestinal Parasites: Symptoms, Signs and Treatments
Many of us experience some kind of anxiety for a large part of our lives. This state of the mind usually manifests differently depending on the person, always altercating or interrupting the well being of another part of the body. Sometimes your hands will shake like me, your stomach could hurt, and you could feel dizzy or even out of breath.
The most predominant form of unease and stress manifesting itself in our body is in what we call as irritable bowel syndrome. This condition is known for being immense abdominal pain and constant changes in your bowel movements caused because of depression, stress or anxiety and at very rare times, an infection. Now, because of this, many of us experience severe pain in our stomachs every now and then but write it off as it being a passing problem or IBS when in fact, it could be something else entirely.
Intestinal parasites are known for causing a large percentage of morbidity in many countries by affecting the gastro-intestinal tract of many and living inside them, some of them growing to be large worms while others staying as protozoan's. There are many known types of these intestinal parasites that can be caught through various things, such as:
- Consuming food that has not been washed well or cooked properly
- Drinking contaminated water
- Coming in contact with the larva by skin.
Because there are many diverse types though the symptoms can be very diverse but usually pertain to the same ones felt by people who have IBS which is why it can be fairly difficult to identify the difference between the two. There are ways to pinpoint the various distinctions between the two and allow you to figure out which one it is. Either way, if you feel many of the symptoms spoken about already, it is never a bad idea to go to your doctor and tell them about it, especially since they can help you understand what is going on much quicker.
- Your digestion has changed: This usually occurs after the parasite has begun to grow and the whole intestinal system has been tampered with. A good giveaway as to being able to difference if this is because of a parasite is if it happened after eating food that you did not see the preparation of or if having gotten it during a trip.
- You feel constant body pain
- You most likely have a deficiency of iron and suffer from anemia
- You have a sleeping problem, leaving you restless most nights and even making you grind your teeth in your sleep
- You suffer from various skin problems and rashes
- You never really feel full or satisfied
- You most likely suffer from more constipation than diarrhea
- You have certain mood swings every now and then
- Unexplained nausea and vomiting
- Itching around anus or soles of the feet
- Tingling sensation on scalp
- Food allergies
- Loss of appetite
- Weight problems
- In some cases coughing blood
- Terrible smell in your gas
- Constant Stomach pain
There are some other symptoms regarding intestinal parasites but they are all very different depending on the person and what kind of parasite that they have been affected with. If you want to have a definitive answer as to if you have this complication or IBS the best way to do so is getting a stool test.
There are some common parasites that you should know of. These could help identify the source and explanation to as to how you could have gotten them. Their origins may be similar but it is always good to understand them. Some of these are:
- Giardiasis: a disease also known as Beaver Fever since it comes from water contamination, mostly common in children.
- Trichinella: coming from raw or poorly cooked meat, this is most common in fast food restaurants or places with poor hygiene and efficiency.
- Tapeworms: divided into a group of six, tapeworms come from infected animals and their poorly cooked meat.
These are just some simple and fairly common parasites that could pose a threat if not dealt with. If you suspect you suffer from any of those or any in particular after reading the symptoms you need to contact your doctor.
Medication is prescribed and administered depending on the parasite you may be suffering. There are some rare occasions in which the parasite will not be identified and the best way to make sure it is dealt with is by taking some herbal solutions or formulas. These are either given to you by doctors or can be bought over the counter in any pharmacy near you. Antibiotics are also very common in the treatments against these organisms. Consuming lots of clean water to get rid of any residue is also good while following doctor's orders.
You have to remember anyone can be at risk of getting a parasite since they can live in so many diverse places and most commonly, exactly what we consume. The ones in charge of spreading most of the parasites or flies themselves, landing on food and what not. It is always a good measure to know exactly who handles your food and how they do it since any mistake could bring problems to you that you simply do not need. The contaminated water has a lower risk for you since most of us have the advantage in life of having a clean and steady supply of water.
There are some other safety measurements to keep in mind to prevent even having to deal with parasites. Other than the usual pay attention to food and water, keep your hands clean at all times possible, never touching your face a lot or putting your fingers or any other thing in your mouth. We are especially guilty of doing this after being outside the whole day and putting pens or pencils in our mouth or just forgetting to wash them before eating.
A special prevention for pregnant women is to stay away from cat feces since these have a specific kind of protozoa than can be very dangerous for the women. Also try to never drink the water of any place you swim at since it could be contaminated and filled with parasites.