- Alternative & Natural Medicine
What is Reiki:An Alternative Therapy for Mental and Physical Healing-a Case Study
A Case Study: My Close Relative's Experience With Reiki Therapy:
© Chitrangada Sharan Jan. 2015
All Rights Reserved.
Some ten years ago, one of my close relative was sick with a life threatening ailment and multiple complications, which led to hospitalization as well.
It took her more than two months to recover from the ailment.
The whole period was traumatic for her and It was almost a second life for her.
Although she was declared clinically fit, with no irregularities, she did not feel well.
She was always anxious, fearful, , restless, tense and could not sleep.
The doctors said that the problem was now more mental than physical issues.
The body had recovered from the illness, but the mind was still fearful.
The fear of what could have happened, made her restless and when she looked at her kids the fear gripped her even more.
Because during her illness her family also suffered along with her, especially the small kids.
Most of the times, we fear about, what could have happened; and what will happen.
Reiki Therapy Worked And She Felt Better, And Better!
Then someone suggested her to undergo Reiki treatment by a qualified Reiki practitioner and it worked.
Right after the first session, she started feeling better.
She felt peaceful and mellow and she had not felt like that since a long time.
In the subsequent sessions, she was feeling even better. Now she was getting peaceful sleep and she was relaxed and felt positive.
What I Understood About Reiki Therapy? Is It Effective?
- All this made me interested about Reiki and what I loosely understood is that 'Reiki' denotes 'Universal Life Energy'.
- In this therapy, the energy flows from the practitioner's hands towards the body of the person who is taking the treatment.
- Then that energy is utilized to heal the skin, organs and immune system.
- This helps the body to get rid of toxins.
- Placing the hands upon or just above the body can help to remove energy blocks, in other words soothe and calm the person.
- This also helps to create a feeling of deep relaxation.
- 'Reiki' is an alternative therapy, which is now very much popular to bring positive changes to mental and physical health.
- It has also been found to help in the process of self discovery.
"A healer's power stems not from any special ability, but from maintaining the courage and awareness to embody and express the universal healing power that every human being naturally possesses.”
― Eric Micha'el Leventhal
What Is The Basis Of Reiki As An Alternative Therapy?
- Reiki combines the utilization of the life force, that is present in all living beings.
- It is in fact the combination of warmth, reassurance and healing power of :human touch..
- It is also popularly called as, 'hands-on-healing technique'
- The universal life force is everywhere, unlimited, abundant and available to everyone.
- Moreover it is environment friendly and cost effective, suitable for everyone.
- To work as a Reiki practitioner, it is more important to be dedicated than to be greatly skilled.
- Since the practitioner has to use his/her specific energy to help in the healing process.
- Reiki fills the practitioners with vital force that fuels their own healing system, enabling it to work more efficiently to heal others.
- Healing is considered on all levels--mind, emotions, body, spirit. Because a lack of harmony on any level or a discord between levels may cause imbalance.
Reiki therapy is spiritual but not religious:
- Reiki does not belong to any particular religion. People of different faith and culture are initiated into it and benefit from it.
- Most of us have lost the link to our own spirituality and therefore the connection to the "supreme or higher self" is also lost.
- The loss of this natural and also necessary link has caused many problems, that we encounter everyday.
- Reiki helps to reconnect with the 'Supreme' and helps in self discovery.
Nothing is so healing as the human touch.
Do you believe that alternative therapies work?
To Sum Up:
- To answer the question, whether Reiki is effective as an alternative therapy,
---------I would say, Yes, it can and it has in many cases.
- Though it does not mean that it will be effective in every case. Faith is important for such treatments to work, by both the patient and the practitioner.
- The Reiki practitioner needs to be trained and attuned by a master. As I have understood by the Reiki practitioners, there are three degrees or levels of training.
- There are many masters and training centers devoted for this and the training is not so difficult as well.
- This is a self help therapy, as you can initiate treatment to yourself also.
- It may not make huge changes in your life but it will change you as a person with positive thoughts, support you when you have stressful times in life.
- It might help you with insights to meet the challenges of life and you may lead a fulfilling life.
Remember: Alternative therapies are no substitute for medical treatments of your disease/ ailment!
© Chitrangada Sharan, 23rd Jan. 2015
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Reiki treatment session, source: You tube
Regarding Reiki training, source: You tube
Other Related Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- How to Reduce and Manage Stress by Art Therapy : A C...
Art Therapy is an effective tool to reduce and manage stress. It helps those affected to overcome emotional disorders n improve communication skills. They express difficult feelings by means of Art.
- How do Colours bring Positive Benefits to our lives...
Colour Therapy, dates back to thousand of years. It is a holistic and powerful technique and can be implemented by applying these vibrations of energy to effect positive changes in our day to day life.
- Why And When To Go To A Counsellor Or Therapist? Fir...
Are you feeling confused, struggling with situations/ relationships, unable to take decisions, dying to get 'that' support? Then probably you need some counseling sessions by a trained psychotherapist.
- What Is Water Therapy: Water As Alternative Treatm...
Water is the most essential element and component of human physiology. It also has wonderful healing properties, with the presence of various crucial elements present in it, beneficial for health.
- Nature's Gift-Flowers : Fragrant, Fresh, Delicate, B...
Vibrant, colorful, fragrant flowers not only attract us with their beauty, but are spiritual, emotional healers too. Besides Aroma therapy they have medicinal uses according to Ayurveda, Naturopathy.
- What Are The Benefits Of Massage: Herbal Oils/ Spa T...
Massage as an alternative therapy to relieve stress, pain and anxiety is an age old practice. It has become more scientific with the practice of using Herbal, medicinal oils in Modern Massage centers.
© 2015 Chitrangada Sharan