Is it better to eat the medicines or bear the disease Osteoporosis?
Suffering from Osteoporosis? Have you been prescribed the medicines by your doctor? Did your doctor mention the horrible things you may suffer from if you don’t consume these medicines? Did your doctor reveal the side effects of the medicines? Many doctors irrespective of being experts do not reveal the side effects of consuming the medicines. Today I’m sharing with you the reasons for not in taking the medicines of Osteoporosis.
Drugs harm the body
The drugs given for curing Osteoporosis stop our body’s process, bone remodelling, removal of the mature bone tissue and formation of the new bone tissue. This is a continuous process with important vitamins, minerals, enzymes, proteins, and various other substances all coming into play. How then are these drugs beneficial? These drugs act temporarily, mask the symptoms and heal by counteracting the body’s process.
Drugs increase the risk of fracture
Osteoclasts is the process which removes the worn out bone cells and Osteoblasts is the process which puts the new bone cells in their place, making the bones strong and flexible. Drugs for curing Osteoporosis stop the entire process by not letting the worn out bone cells be shed. This in turn makes the bones thick consisting of only the worn out cells compromising the tensile strength of the bones. This further makes the bones prone to fracture.
Each and every drug of Osteoporosis has side effects
Many medicines for curing Osteoporosis are available. How would you know whether the drug of a particular company is safe or not? How would you know whether the drug prescribed to you has side effects or not?
Unfortunately, a safe drug of Osteoporosis without having side effects simply doesn’t exist. There isn’t any manufacturer of any company making drugs of Osteoporosis without the side effects.
Certain irreversible side effects are as-
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ),jaw pain, infection, abscesses, and rotting jaw bone, makes eating food difficult. This is the side effect of Bisphosphonates being phosphorous-based.Though it was made necessary by the Medical Establishment to put black box warnings about ONJ on Bisphosphonates yet the peoples’ concerns are brushed off by their doctor.
- Atrial fibrillation -Bisphosphonates cause fast and irregular heartbeat. Scientists at the Maimonides Medical Centre in New York published an analysis revealing bisphosphonateto be responsible for increasing the risk of serious Atrial Fibrillation by 40%
- Oesophageal cancer- FDA’s database’s analysis reveals that nearly 75% of bisphosphonate-caused Oesophageal cancer.
Can sanctioning of the drugs of Osteoporosis be called meaningless?
Does all this bother you about such dangerous drugs being approved even after having drastic side effects? Doesn't the approval look meaningless to you when the side effects of these drugs are worse than the disease these drugs are made to cure? Well, the approval of these drugs has been done because these drugs are necessary for curing Osteoporosis and increasing the density of the bone. Doctors prescribe these drugs for enhancement of the bone density being exceedingly essential for the patients.
Should you undergo the treatment of Osteoporosis?
Enormous factors influence the decisions about whether the treatment for Osteoporosis should be done or not. Some of the factors for you to decide that the drug treatment should be done are as
- After doing the fracture risk assessment, your doctor recommends the drug treatment for you for avoiding the increased risk of fractures. Since the risk of breaking a bone has increased therefore, from the perspective of the specialist, the drug treatment is necessary for reducing the risk.
- Fearing side effects should not put you so off that you don’t try the treatment. Though balancing the positive effects and the side effects may seem to be a challenge for you yet risk of getting the side effects is usually smaller than the risk of having a fragility fracture if the treatment isn’t taken by you.
- A drug treatment may not be required by a premenopausal woman or a younger man (under 50) because the low density in their body will not cause a fracture. Doctors would only suggest certain lifestyle advice to be followed by you .But if the doctors feel that your bone density is very low as compared to the minimum required bone density, you may be suggested the usage of high-dose Glucocorticoid tablets. It’s advisable to eat the medicines for avoiding the fractures. Therefore, taking drugs become indispensable. Your doctor may even refer you to rheumatologist (joints and bones); an endocrinologist (hormones) or a gynaecologist (women’s health).
Which drug treatment of Osteoporosis is the best for you?
People often ask ‘which drug treatment is the best for treating Osteoporosis?’ Probably all the drugs reduce the risk of the fracture of Osteoporosis to almost the same extent. The most appropriate medicine for you is decided by your doctor but don’t forget to maintain your levels of Calcium and Vitamin D. As per the advice of Eve Scopelitis, MD, an internist with Ochsner Medical Centre in New Orleans, "Vitamin D is an important factor in deciding whether you have Osteoporosis or not.” Getting regular tests of Vitamin D is suggested for eliminating the risk of the germination of this disease.
Can you opt for something else other than the drug treatment of Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is caused because of a biochemical imbalance and to attain the biochemical balance following appropriate nutritional and lifestyle guidelines is imperative. The diet rich in Calcium and Vitamin D can be beneficial. Consuming Milk, Cheese and Yogurt provide you with a lot of Calcium. Vitamin D helps in absorbing the Calcium.
Therefore, exposing yourself to Sun rays for at least six to seven minutes provide you with the necessary Vitamin D. Brisk walking for about 45 minutes increases the density of the bones. So, adopting the regular habit of brisk walking for about 45 minutes helps in reducing the chances of getting the disease Osteoporosis. Encourage yourself to eat diet rich in Calcium and Vitamin D and walk regularly for Staying healthy!!