- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
Isabgol: Home Remedy for Constipation
To stay healthy, people should watch what goes in to the body and more importantly what comes out of the body. The colon, also known as the large intestine, regulates the digestion and should be well taken care of. Constipation is one of the major problems that affect the colon. Straining during a bowel movement or a sense of not being completely empty following a bowel movement or a sense of blockage or lumpy or hard stool may be the symptoms of constipation. Having less than three bowel movements may also indicate constipation. It is very important that people have regular bowel movements to stay healthy. Constipation may lead to major health issues and has severe consequences. It is so easy to avoid constipation altogether by watching what goes in to the body. If you consume enough fiber everyday, you should not have constipation problems and do not even to have to read this article. Most people do not have enough fiber in their diet and this is a simple way to supplement your fiber deficient diet.
One of the simple most effective and least expensive ways to avoid constipation is regular intake of Isabgol. One spoonful (about 10 grams) of Isabgol twice a day (once in the morning and once at night) will keep your bowel movements smooth and regular. It is very important that you intake plenty of fluids when taking Isabgol. Read below to see why.
Isabgol has been described as a gentle laxative, cooling and diuretic and so it is a great home remedy for constipation. It can be taken to supplement a fiber deficient diet. Mix a spoonful of Isabgol with a glass of water, fruit juice or milk and drink it immediately. You can do it up to three times a day depending on what you need. Isabgol is also known as Psyllium husks.
Any kind of bulking laxatives including Isabgol (psyllium husks) should not be taken if you have intestinal ulcers or other stomach inflammations. Consult with your doctor before taking Isabgol if you have any of these stomach problems. Isabgol should not be used if the person has vomiting, fever and abdominal pain. It is not recommended to take Isabgol along with any other medication, as the desired effects of the other medication will be reduced.
This article is for general information only and should not be taken as medical advice. Consult your medical doctor to see if this will work for you.
All about Isabgol:
Isabgol has been used as a laxative for centuries, especially in India to treat constipation. Sat Isabgol is a natural vegetable product that contains the husk of seeds of the plantago ovata, popularly known as isabgol. Sat Isabgol is the perfect natural laxative and has been used for constipation treatments successfully.
Isabgol is a bulk laxative which means that isabgol forms bulk on swelling. Isabgol contains large quantities of a gelatinous substance, which absorbs water and due to its enhanced swelling properties, forms an emollient gel that facilitates the passage of intestinal contents and stimulates bowel movement. Isabgol does not affect the absorption of other nutrients. It is not absorbed by the digestive system and passes unchanged through the intestines. Therefore the action of isabgol is purely mechanical, as it relieves constipation by mechanically stimulating bowel movement. In addition,Isabgol absorbs bacterial and other toxins in the intestines. In short, Sat Isabgol works partly by lubrication and partly by increasing the bulk of the intestinal contents, which stimulates bowel movement.
Stomach health Info
Read these now
- Constipation treatment: In its purest form, Isabgol is nature's highest soluble fiber. This fiber is different from the other type of fibers such as wheat bran and cellulose, which are insoluble. Helps cure chronic constipation and reduces strain during bowel movements.
- Isabgol controls diarrhea, dysentery or loose motions
- Isabgol moistens hard stools and eliminates the burning sensation after defecation.
- Lower cholesterol: Isabgol can lower your cholesterol by up to 20% in only 8 weeks. The fiber present in Isabgol helps to control the blood cholesterol levels. Isabgol forms a thin layer on the intestines and prevents the absorption of cholesterol in to the arteries.
- It regulates the blood glucose levels and insulin
- It reduces the absorption of fats and glucose.
- Isabgol cleans the gastro intestinal tract by removing the toxins present there along with the bulked up excretion
- Isabgol helps to prevent indigestion and flatulence
- Isabgol prevents lethargy and gives a feeling of well being and good health.
- Isabgol is not absorbed by the body thus there are no harmful side effects and it is a pure Ayurvedic medicine. Other mineral-based liquid paraffin may cause malignant diseases of the colon.
- Very inexpensive
In my personal opinion, never ever take chemical laxatives that are available over the counter. It may give you quick relief, but Ayurvedic medicines like Isabgol is safe and has no side effects and are not habit forming and instead of just avoiding the symptoms, Isabgol regulates your digestion and really helps to cure constipation problems.
Isabgol can usually be bought from your local health store or any Indian grocery store.