Running or jogging has captured the attention of people all around the world and not just the USA but across the globe.Running is said to be sixth most popular form of exercise in America. If so many people have taken to jogging, it simply means that there are numerous benefits of jogging.
Running is very good for your health. It provides a great cardiovascular workout, strengthens and tones your muscles. Regular jogging gives better overall physical condition as well as some other health benefits, including mental benefits such as relaxation and reduction of anxiety.
Regular running and jogging is a good way to improve your health and fitness.
Jogging makes the heart stronger. It increases the capacity of the blood circulation and of the respiratory system.
Jogging is a rigorous cardiovascular exercise that allows a person to burn an average of 100 calories per each mile he or she runs.
Jogging is of benefit to the body as a whole, strengthening the cardiovascular system, improving blood circulation and toning up muscles. This is essential for maintaining good fitness..
It also speeds up the digestive system and can help to relieve digestive problems.
Many people that live a sedentary lifestyle develop digestive problems that can be improved with a healthier diet and some regular exercise.
Benefits of Jogging
1. Running can counteract depression, as all forms of exercise can help people cope with depression. It increases the capacity to work and lead an active life. The fitter you are, the more active you can be.
2. Attitude Improvement: One of the lesser known of the benefits of jogging is attitude improvement. Jogging releases hormones called endorphins, which are responsible for giving the feeling of happiness or euphoria. Hence, jogging is used as an effective tool to combat clinical depression since a very long time.
- Mind Training: Along with the other benefit, jogging is able to train the mind better. As you are come across hurdles upon hurdles you learn to focus and become more and more determined. Not only will your body gain physical strength but you will also gain mental endurance.
- Jogginghelps lower blood pressure by maintaining the elasticity of the arteries. As a person runs / walks, his or her arteries expand and contract more than usual, keeping the arteries elastic and the blood pressure low.
- A regular Jogging or walking program lowers your risk of life-threatening maladies such as heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Jogging makes you burn fat and thereby helps to lose weight , In addition to increasing metabolism, jogging is an effective way to burn more calories, which helps you lose weight. .
- Confidence Builder: The most important of the benefits of jogging is confidence building. With jogging the person is able grow stronger and stronger and overcome every ordeal. Confidence brings with itself the feeling of empowerment as the jogger knows what his body is capable of. People who lose weight due to running gain more confidence than any one else can imagine.
- Jogging makes the heart stronger. It increases the capacity of the blood circulation and of the respiratory system..
- The abdominal region is very susceptible to fat accumulation. Jogging is very effective in burning fat from the waist, thigh, and abdomen. It is considered as one of the most effective abdominal fat removal exercise.
- Jogging helps you in fighting insomnia. If undertaken on a regular basis, it can help you attain a sound and peaceful sleep.
11. Regular joggers face lower incidence of bone and muscle loss due to aging. In other words, the ill effects of aging are minimized
- It relaxes the body and the mind. So, it is very effective in giving relief from stress.
Running can give you both physical and mental joy, so long you do not exhaust yourself! When jogging is done correctly, you will actually feel less tired after you have finished a tour than before you began. You may even start to enjoy the feelings in your muscles during the jogging and afterwards.
Running is a great way of getting away from your usual daily environment. Running outside is often much more pleasurable than exercising in a gym. Even running in the rain can be refreshing and pleasurable. While running some people also get an euphoric mental feeling – a runners high!
Jogging may be performed in a lot of ways. Long distance jogging generally covers 6-20km, at a moderate speed on even roads or paths. Short distance jogging covers 3-6km in a faster pace. Jogging upwards in a steep terrain 3-4km, in a speed adjusted to the steepness. Jogging in a hilly terrain with paths going both up and down 4-8 km. It is advisable to vary the type of jogging from day to day, and to find several different routes to run. By running different routes you create more variety, which helps to keep you motivated. Also, by having a set of routes of varying distance, you can develop a weekly running schedule, which includes both short fast runs and longer slower runs.
You should start out at a slower pace for a few minutes if you have not warmed up already. Then you gradually increase to a comfortable speed. Once you become familiar with a few different routes, you will quickly learn the best pace for you, and also will know when to push yourself a little harder. Timing each run is a great way to monitor improvements. Some days you may feel that you have not run so well, but the time on the clock may show that you have actually matched your personal best.
Stretching Your Muscles Before and After Each Session
It is advisable to stretch out before and after each jogging session, two minutes before and three to four minutes after jogging. When stretching out do the following movements:
- Bend forward and touch your toes.
- Kneel down on one of your feet, and stretch the other out backwards.
- Bend your body to both sides.
- Stretch out an arm, grab something, and turn your body round so that your arm is bent backwards.
- Shoot your abdomen foreword, so that your spinal column is stretched into a bow.
- Place your hands behind your neck and stretch your arms backwards. Then twist your body to the left and right, and also bend to each side.
After the jogging it is often advisable to wait for a few minutes to regain your breath and relax before you stretch out.
If jogging is the only sport activity done, then a jogging session every other day is ideal. This is enough to give all the health benefits and gradually increase your condition and endurance without wearing yourself out.
How To Start Running
If you are not accustomed to physical activity before you start jogging, it is advisable to consult a doctor before you start. You may have health issues that are not compatible with jogging activities, or some conditions that you must consider when doing your jogging.
The first times, you should only jog on plain ground and only for 10 minutes. Then you can increase the time, distance and speed, and choose steeper and more difficult paths.
Whether we want to admit it or not, jogging has become a part of every day culture and vision, even if it is only peripheral at best. Even if we don't do it ourselves, I am sure that all of us pass joggers on our way to doing almost anything every morning. Then again, we may do it ourselves when no one is looking.
CLOTHES AND SHOES
The type of clothes you were must be suited to the weather conditions. In warm weather, shorts and a t-shirt is enough. However, it may be useful to carry along an extra piece of clothe in a light back-pack if you run out on a long route, in case the weather aggravates. In colder weather you must add more layers of clothes. In either case, the requirements for the clothes are:
You should use light and soft clothes without any sharp sutures, hard edges or massive folds. They should sit fairly close to your body, but not so close that you feel squeezed, trapped, or so that your movements are hindered.
The clothes should give good ventilation for moisture and sweat and perspiration through the fabric. The fabric should ideally hold water totally out from the outside, but this requirement is difficult to achieve together with the requirement of good ventilation.
You should use fairly soft shoes, but with a good shape fitting the anatomical shape of your feet. The soles should easily bend during the normal movements of your feet, but support well against the ground. The underside of the sole should give friction against any type of grounds, so that you do not slide during jogging. The soles should buffer well against each impact from the ground.
HOW TO PERFORM A JOGGING SESSION
You should move slowly with little efforts the first few hundred meters to warm up your muscles. Then you gradually increase your muscular work and speed. When you have done half the route, you can take a speedy spurt using most of your capacity. If the route is long enough, you can take two or three spurts using nearly full capacity. The last hundred meters you gradually slow down again.
Performing regular jogging gives better physical condition and other health benefits. Jogging also gives physical and mental pleasure.