Kick in the new year with these 30 tips for resolutions
The hardest part of bringing positive change isn't the execution, but overcoming the mental obstacles.
The new year is coming up close on the horizon, but your perspective may not be keeping up. Have you been experiencing lethargy with life goals, finding it hard to be inspired?
Many times our mental limitations are our biggest challenges to overcome. But tried and true, taking baby steps every day is a surefire way to eventually reach the top of the peak (even if you have to take a few steps back every now and then).
So pull up your bootstraps, and head into the new year with some attainable goals you can slowly work up to every day. Here are 30 ways to improve your life and start your year out right:
- Chant a positive mantra. It may seem silly at first, but chanting a positive thought either out loud or in your head will begin to sink in and you'll eventually start believing it. My favorite is: "I can do all things!"
- Take a daily walk. It doesn't need to be very long or far, just a few minutes of stretching your legs and working up your heart rate can do magic! You'll find the time spent listening to your inner thoughts will be therapeutic, and you may find solutions to problems you weren't even aware of.
- Join a Meetup group and get out. If you haven't yet joined a local group in your area, this will be the perfect time to look up Meetup.com and find likeminded individuals who enjoy the same hobbies as you. You can make new friends while you're having some fun.
- Clean out your closets. Disregard if you've already cleared your clutter, but if you've been holding on to clothes you're hoping to lose weight to fit back into, or want to get rid of old memories collecting dust in your storage, this is a perfect way to start the new year with a clean slate, literally.
- Donate to charity. Following up on the previous tip, if you have a pile of clothes you need to get rid of, donating them to a charity is a win/win: you'll feel a sense of relief for letting go while knowing you're doing something good for others, and the charity will benefit from your generosity.
- Give someone a compliment every day. This is one of the easiest, quickest way to feel good about yourself: make someone else feel good. And it's free, too!
- Call someone every day. You don't know what your fate may be any given day, nor do you know how much time you have with those you care about, so it wouldn't hurt to reach out and say "hello" to one of them each day. You'll probably make them happy for doing so, too.
- Work on your finances. If you have debt that's bogging you down, work with a budget specialist to set up a payment plan to get out from under it. If you're trying to build a nest egg for your retirement, start contributing investments-- contact a financial advisor if you need help with starting out.
- List three things you're thankful for each day. Gratitude is the best defense against depression, anger, or remorse. Instead of focusing on what you don't have, or how unjust life has been to you, look for three things you are thankful for having in your life. Roof over your head? Food on the table? Friends? There's plenty to choose from.
- Pay it forward. Ever have your coffee paid for by the customer in front of you? That's called paying it forward. It's the stuff that fills your happiness bucket. Try it and see how quickly it fills!
- Adopt a pet you've been wanting. This time of year, a lot of pet owners have buyer's remorse after the holidays when they realize how much responsibility comes with owning a pet. If you've been contemplating becoming a pet parent, visit your local pet store during their Adopt-a-Pet events and make the commitment.
- Pamper yourself. Get a facial kit at the store, or schedule a mani/pedi. Or why not get a full on massage? You have to find a way to treat yourself well. When you feel happy and cared for, it makes you able to care for other things in your life.
- Learn something new. Have you ever been curious how to build something? How about learning how to speak Italian? If you can dream it, you can do it! Look up classes at your local community college, or check out YouTube tutorials on how to accomplish projects you've thought about.
- Change what doesn't make you happy. This may seem obvious, but some of us don't realize that what bothers us (like a job you don't like) is something you have control over. If you've ever thought about making a career change, or feel like a relationship has run its course, it's within your power to right what is wrong in your life.
- Quit your bad habit. For real though. If you've been vaping for years after transitioning from quitting smoking, you've basically just changed your method of keeping a nicotine addiction. You know what bad habits you'd like to change about yourself, so it's up to you to fully commit to quitting. Get help if you need it.
- Clean your stove. Seriously, this may be the only time of year you have to do the fine tuning with loose ends around the house. Starting your new year with a clean stove will not only lighten the weight on your shoulders, but will motivate you to cook something delicious.
- Clean your vehicle. Perhaps you take your car to be cleaned regularly at a car wash, but when was the last time you went out and cleaned it by your own hand? You'd be surprised how therapeutic it can be to wipe away the dust and film with your own sponge and spray it down to reveal the clean car you've created.
- Watch the sunset. If you have a partner, this will be a romantic way to spend quality time together. But if you're solo, appreciating the majesty of illuminating colors in the sky as the sun goes down will warm the cockles of your heart.
- Get out for the full moon. Check your calendar for when the full moon will be out, and take a few minutes to enjoy it. The longer you gaze at the moon and the stars in the sky, the more relaxed you will feel.
- Go to a game or event that you enjoy. Rather than sit in front of a TV at home or at a sports bar, try to attend at least one game or event that you enjoy live at the stadium. I took my son to see Nitro Circus in Anaheim, and the excitement of seeing it in real life is an experience like no other. Try it and you'll thank me!
- Call a friend to schedule something fun. Love beer? Go to a brewery together. Wine aficionado? Visit a wine tasting location with your bestie. This goes for romantic partners as well. Life is short. Enjoy the little moments.
- Make new friends. You can never have too many friends, so make new ones when you're out and about. Start with small talk and go from there. Make plans to see them again in the place where you met. Small starts can lead to great things.
- Buy a journal. Or start a scrap book of all the memories you make during the day. Having something to reflect on will bring back the joy you felt at the time when it happened.
- Try a new dish. Starting the new year right will come with adventure. Take a chance and try something you've never tasted before. You might spit it out and wash your mouth out after, but you might find a new favorite food.
- Schedule regular maintenance. Whether you need to get your teeth cleaned or oil changed, don't put off the steps you need to take to keep things in check. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... or something like that.
- See something on your bucket list. Always wanted to visit Hawaii? What's stopping you? Find out how to reach that dream destination and take steps to get there.
- Plan a pleasant surprise for someone you care about. You can be subdued or extravagant in the gesture, but plan something nice, like a surprise lunch at work, for the person you want to know that you care about them.
- Forgive and let go. If you are resentful to anyone for doing you wrong in the past, this is a great time to let it go and move on. There may not ever be "closure" with an apology, so it's up to you to allow yourself to heal completely from pain of your past.
- Skip the road rage. The next time a person cuts you off or won't let you in, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that they may have something terrible in their life that you don't have. Say "whooosawwwww" and forget about it.
- Smell the flowers. Life is full of wonders, including the lovely aroma of beautiful flowers. Don't forget to smell them in your busy days.
Here's to making your new year the best ever!