Life After 50 and Beyond : How to Reinvent at Fifty Plus
Here’s a time when you have to separate yourself from what other people expect of you, and do what you love. Because if you find yourself 50 years old and you aren’t doing what you love, then what’s the point?
Life @ 50 And Beyond!
© Chitrangada Sharan, June 2013
All Rights Reserved.
- So you recently celebrated your fiftieth Birthday or going to celebrate soon!
- Are you happy, scared or excited about it!
- Well, age is just a number they say, but I think 50 is an age when you need to reinvent yourself, In fact replan according to the changed needs of your mind and body.
- Most people, men and women are settled in life at 50, whether it is their children's education or career, their own house or job.
- It is around this age that they may safely think about their, 'Second Innings.' How to remain productively engaged, since they are on the verge of retirement too.
- It is wise to think of Health security as you are not getting any younger and even after taking all precautions, some health issues may crop up.
- If you are getting 'Pension' from your workplace after retirement, Well and fine. If not, you must think of other 'Pension Plans'as everybody knows, how expensive, the Medical Bills can be. There are plenty of them to choose from.
50+ Embrace Your Age Gracefully!
Some two to three decades back, fifty was considered an old age. Not anymore----Times have changed!
Now people over 50, feel rather relaxed that most of their responsibilities as a parent is over and they have by this time earned enough money for themselves to live life comfortably. They 'Reinvent' themselves, to make the rest of their life enjoyable and comfortable.
Rules Of Healthy Living After 50:
At 50, you have to take care of your health even more than before.
The major killer today is the modern lifestyle. High levels of stress, sedentary lifestyle, high levels of Obesity etc. which lead to diseases such as heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid and other chronic diseases.
The solution is to modify lifestyle and follow simple rules of good health.
1. Annual Medical Health Check up:
It is important to have an annual health check up. This will help you to identify your current health status and if any ailments are detected early, they can be controlled or treated easily.
If however they are not diagnosed the problems may aggravate beyond control.
Even if you do not have any symptom of a disease, it is still wiser to get your annual health check up done.
2. Moderate and Regular Exercises/ Yoga/ Walking:
A fit and healthy body can ensure prevention from various diseases. Your daily exercise should be according to your age and capacity.
Remember! You have crossed 50----. So do not overdo it.
An hour or so of walking, jogging, stamina build up exercises are good enough to strengthen your heart and lungs.
Some kind of flexibility exercises for joints is a must at the age over 50.
Yogic exercises are most suitable for that. You can learn Yoga by a qualified teacher, because there is a correct way of doing it, especially as far as the breathing pattern is concerned.
Laughter Yoga for seniors, source: You tube
Reinvent; Rediscover yourself at 50+ And Beyond!
3. Eat the Right Food:
Right food, in Right quantity and at the Right time is the general rule of good health.
Too much of sugar is associated with Diabetes;
Too much salt is associated with high blood pressure;
Too much fatty food is associated with heart ailments;
A high fiber diet, consisting of vegetables and fruits proves as a protective shield against many ailments.
Having a balanced diet, composed of whole grains, lentils, white meat, low fat dairy products etc. is the right thing to do at this age.
A healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and a light dinner is a good option.
4. Meditation and Stress Management:
While physical activity is important for good health, mental relaxation is equally important.
Mental tension and stress causes psychosomatic issues such as insomnia, asthma, ulcers, hypertension etc.
Stress can be caused due to personal problems, workplace issues or even related to personality.
Stress can be managed with a change in attitude, behaviour change approach and it has to be practised, with continuous effort.
Exercises help you to burn stress hormones and Meditation and Relaxation helps to create a calm and focused frame of mind.
5. Taking Time Out For Hobbies:
Options are abundant---Develop new hobbies or pursue the old ones. Music, Painting, Craft are great stress busters.
Take care of your Ageing parents and help your grandchildren in their studies or play.
Try to join some active social welfare groupsand help them with your rich experience of life.
How to find happiness after fifty , source: YouTube
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age.
Do you feel you have changed priorities after you crossed 50?
Keeping yourself beautiful after 50, source: You tube
The Positives @ 50 !
- When you are young, you are not very sure about, What to do, how to do it.
- At 50, one is more mature in thoughts and behavior. It would not be too much to say, you become a lot more happier and relaxed.
- Now is the time to think about your own self and take good care of your health.
- As you cross 50, you can expect 25 to 30 more years of productive living, if you reinvent yourself in the manner mentioned above.
- Now you reach an age, when you do not get upset about every small matter and you start accepting things as part of life.
- You develop an attitude of, 'Forget and Forgive.'
© Chitrangada Sharan 27th June, 2013
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Other hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Golden Jubilee Wedding Anniversary : Quotes,Gifts An...
50th wedding anniversary is that special occasion that calls for a grand celebration. The love, trust, togetherness of 50 years of the couple must be recognized with participation by all closed ones.
- How To Make Your Bones Strong And Healthy~~Food And ...
Bone health is very important for living a normal and healthy life. Proper attention must be paid to Specific food and exercises meant to improve bone health to prevent Arthritis and Osteoporosis.
- Managing Food Cravings: Physiological And Psychologi...
Strong Cravings for food is a good indicator of internally controlled responses. Depriving yourself increases cravings. Craving for specific foods indicates a deficit of some particular nutrient.
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan