Life After 50 and Beyond : How to Reinvent Yourself at Fifty Plus
Here’s a time when you have to separate yourself from what other people expect of you, and do what you love. Because if you find yourself 50 years old and you aren’t doing what you love, then what’s the point?
Life at 50 and Beyond
So, you recently celebrated your fiftieth Birthday, or going to celebrate soon?
Are you happy and excited or scared about it?
- Well, age is just a number they say, but I think, 50 is an age, when you need to reinvent yourself. In fact, this is the age, when you should replan your life and your priorities, according to the changed needs of your mind and body.
- By the age of 50, generally men and women are well settled in life, whether it is their children's education or career, their marriage, their own house or job. It is around this age, that they may safely think about their, 'Second Innings.‘
- How to remain productively engaged, since they are on the verge of retirement too?
- It is wise to think of the Health security, at this age, as you are not getting any younger, and even after taking all the precautions, some health issues may crop up.
- If you are getting Pension from your workplace after retirement, well and fine. If not, you must think of some other Pension Plans, as it a well known fact, how expensive, the Medical Bills can be.
- There are plenty of medical insurance or health insurance schemes, to choose from. You can find them by searching through the Internet too. Make sure, to find a suitable one, from a reliable source.
50 plus: Embrace Your Age Gracefully
Some two to three decades back, fifty was considered to be an old age.
Not anymore--Times have changed, and for the better.
Now people over 50 years of age, feel rather relaxed that most of their responsibilities, as a parent are over. By this age, they have also earned enough money for themselves, to live life comfortably. They 'Reinvent' themselves, to make the rest of their life, enjoyable and comfortable.
Rules of Healthy Living, After 50 Years of age:
When you reach 50 years of age, you have to take care of your health, even more than before. The major killer today is the modern lifestyle. High levels of stress, sedentary lifestyle, high levels of Obesity etc. which lead to diseases, such as heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid and other chronic diseases.
The solution is to improve and modify the lifestyle and follow the simple rules of good health.
1. Annual Medical Health Check up:
It‘s important to have an annual health check up. This will help you to identify, your
current health status, and if any ailments are detected early, they can be controlled or treated easily.
If however, they are not diagnosed, the problems may aggravate, beyond control.
Even if you do not have any symptom of a disease, it is still wiser to get your annual health check up done.
2. Moderate and Regular Exercises/ Yoga/ Walking:
A fit and healthy body can ensure prevention from various diseases. Your daily exercise routine, should be according to your age and your body’s capacity.
Remember, You have crossed 50 years, therefore do not try to overdo it.
An hour, or so of walking, jogging, stamina building up exercises, are good enough to strengthen your heart and lungs.
Some kind of flexibility exercises for joints, is a must at the age over 50.
Yogic exercises are the most suitable for that. You can learn Yoga, by a qualified professional, because there is a correct way of doing it, especially as far as the breathing pattern is concerned.
Laughter Yoga for seniors, source: You tube
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age.
Reinvent and Rediscover yourself, when you reach 50 years of age and Beyond
3. Eat the Right Food:
Right food, in the right quantity, and at the right time, is the general rule of good health.
Too much of sugar is associated with Diabetes.
Too much salt is associated with high blood pressure.
Too much fatty food is associated with heart ailments.
A high fibre diet, consisting of vegetables and fruits, proves as a protective shield, against many ailments.
Having a balanced diet, composed of whole grains, lentils, white meat, low fat dairy products etc. is the right thing to do at this age.
A healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and a light dinner is a good option.
4. Meditation and Stress Management:
While physical activity is important for good health, mental relaxation is equally important. Mental tension and stress, causes psychosomatic issues, such as insomnia, asthma, ulcers, hypertension etc.
Stress can be caused due to personal problems, workplace issues or even related to personality. Stress can be managed with a change in attitude, behavioural changes, and it has to be practised, with sincere and continuous effort.
Exercises help you to burn stress hormones, and Meditation and Relaxation helps to create a calm and focused frame of mind.
5. Taking The Time Out, For Hobbies:
The options are abundant. One must develop new hobbies, or pursue the old ones. Music, Painting, Craft are great stress busters.
Talking about myself, I enjoy taking pictures, and Mother Nature is my greatest source of inspiration.
Take care of your aging parents, and help your grandchildren, in their studies or play. Teaching the underprivileged children is a good idea, and gives immense satisfaction.
Try to join some active local social welfare groups, and help them with your rich experiences of life.
How to find happiness after fifty , source: YouTube
Do you feel you have changed priorities after you crossed 50?
Party ideas for 50th Birthday, source: You tube
The Positives at the age 50
- When you are younger, you are not very sure about, What to do, how to do it. At the age of 50 plus, and beyond, one can be more mature in the thoughts and behaviour.
- It would not be too much to say, that you become a lot more happier and relaxed. Now is the time, to think about your own self, and take good care of your health.
- As you cross the golden age of 50, you can expect 25 to 30 more years of productive living, if you reinvent yourself, in the manner mentioned above.
- Now you have reached an age, when you do not get upset about every small matter, and you start accepting things, as part of your life.
- You develop an attitude of, 'Forget and Forgive’, and that’s very important. It’s no use, thinking about the unpleasant past, if any. And this attitude develops, by the time you reach 50. By the time, you hit 50, you don’t really bother about, what people expect from you, neither you expect much from them.
- This is the age, when you always want to feel positive, and want to avoid negative thoughts, and negative people. You just want to be happy and spread happiness.
- Spread your wings, do satisfy your creative self, learn, laugh, and make others laugh, contribute to make others life, a little better.
Top beauty, health, lifestyle tips, if you are 50, Source: YouTube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan