- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Little Known Health Remedies
Old Time Cures-Aren't They Great?
Since the beginning of time people have been self diagnosing and treating their everyday and serious life threatening illnesses. Of course, way back in the day they had little choice. There were not a whole lot of doctors in their areas. Many of the doctors that were available were not trained and some were thought of as little better than butchers.
So, the health and well being of family members was left to the mercies of the female head of the family. Remedies were passed down from mother to daughter, neighbor to neighbor. Some of them were excellent and some of them made you wonder "What were they thinking?".
I had a wonderful time researching the in's and out's of home remedies. I found some that made a whole lot of sense and some that I found down right funny. Please remember, this hub is about fun, not about actually curing someone. As always, speak to your doctor before using any type of remedy. I will be sharing both types of remedies with you. I hope you have as fun reading this as I had researching and writing it.
Remedies That Tickle the Funny Bone
- A favorite old time cure for anemia was to eat raw liver and drink fresh blood.
- If your child has asthma stand him up against a tree and drive a nail in the tree an inch above his head. If the child grows an inch in the next year, the asthma will disappear.
- A favorite belief for preventing cancer was to eat three almonds a day and you will not die from cancer.
- To help prevent a cold, eat an onion sandwich and wash your hair.
- For scrapes and cuts find a spiderweb, wad it into a ball and apply to the wound. It will help stop the bleeding and help prevent infection.
- To rid yourself of a headache, Sleep with a pair of scissors under your pillow. The next morning the headache will be gone.
- An old time cure for rabies was to sear the bite with a hot iron. This was supposed to keep you from going crazy.
- This remedy was used to help treat measles. Put burned cornmeal in a tobacco bag and hang it around the neck.
- Kerosene oil was poured over a deep cut or wound will clot the blood and stop the bleeding.
- To rid yourself of a bothersome wart simply hold it against a dead body.
When plagued with hiccups, simple have someone hold your ears while you drink water.
- For an ingrown toenail just cut a hole in a potato, and stick it on your toe. It will draw the infection out.
Some More Familar Cures
- For a bee, wasp, or jellyfish sting put meat tenderizer on it and a band-aid. You will soon be sting free.
- To get gum out of your hair slather it with peanut butter and use ice to harden it and work it out.
- For coughs drink tea with honey and lemon.
- To cure a headache drink lots of water.
- For a sunburn drizzle vinegar all over your body. The ascorbic acid will help take out the sting.
- Or you can take a tea bath. The ascorbic acid in tea helps take out the sting and burn. Fill you tub with cool water, add some tea bags and jump in.
- For leg cramps that occur in the middle of the night, keep a bar of soap in your bed.
- For arthritis, boil some cabbage leaves, let cool slightly, apply warm leaves to the joints bothering you and wrap with a towel.
- For a chest cold mix together camphor and goose grease and rub it on your chest.
- For an earache press a warm water bottle against the ear.
- To help rid yourself of that painful migraine headache slice raw potatoes on a piece of white cotton,sprinkle with pepper and apply to your forehead.
- For a toothache hold a cold compress against the area that is aching.
- For bedsores pour a honey and sugar poultice over the sore. It will remove the poison.
- For food poisoning drank a swallow or two of apple cider vinegar.
- For that bad toothache rub clove oil into your gums.
- Natural Health Remedies: Your Health Comes First
Your health must come first for this is one of our greatest wealth. Learn the natural way to take care of your body for optimum health.
- Simple home-made remedies for cures, illnesses and a...
Simple yet effective remedies. Why go to the doctor, when you have simple healing supplies lying around in your kitchen. Everything you ever needed to know that can heal, cure and prevent against sicknesses and ailments. These simple cures have been
- Amish Recipes and Home Remedies
A few years ago I lived for a periood of time in upstate New York in an area where I had a lot of Amish neighbors. When I saw upstate New York I mean all the way up there on the St. Lawrence River where you could look across and see Prescott,...