- Diet & Weight Loss
How to Lose Water Weight
Causes of Water Weight Gain
Water weight gain is temporary. However, it can accumulate if you do not do anything to help shift the extra pounds. What are some causes of a sudden fluctuation in weight?
- Too much sodium. Eating a salt-heavy meal or two can pack on several extra pounds, depending on how salty it was. For every 1 gram (1000 mg) of sodium we consume, our bodies hold onto a pound of water. Eat a restaurant meal of 4000mg of sodium, and you've got 4 pounds the next day.
- For many women, pre-menstrual hormones in the few days leading up to menstruation means a couple extra pounds.
- Full glycogen tank. Glycogen is stored carbohydrates and comes with a few pounds of water. This is not bad - it actually means you've got a lot of fuel to keep you running through the day. Low-carb diets often lead to fast water weight loss for this reason (low/empty glycogen stores).
Parsley, a natural diuretic
Water Retention in Legs
Are you feeling the effects of gravity? The water can shift downward, so try keeping your feet up.
How to Lose Water Weight
Those newly-found bulges are not going to disappear the moment you cut back on salt, but should be gone in a week. Try some or all of the following methods:
- Exercise! Not only will you break a sweat (helping to release that water), but you also will get your lymphatic system working.
- Go bananas. Bananas a great snack because they are full of potassium, which helps to regulate sodium levels.
- Drink lots of water. It sounds counter-intuitive, but when you are dehydrated, your body will hold on to any water that it has.
- Avoid restaurant foods. These meals tend to be extremely high in sodium. If you are going to a restaurant, be sure to do research beforehand.
Try to consume any of the following foods also:
Celery, cranberries, dandelion (greens or tea), asparagus, cucumber, ginger, and parsley. These are all known diuretics, and are extremely powerful. Any high water content food will have diuretic benefits to some degree.
This smoothie packs 11% of your daily Vitamin A, 18% Calcium, 22% Iron, and a huge 251% of your daily Vitamin C needs!
Refreshing Quick Slimming Smoothie Recipe
This smoothie has a refreshing, earthy, tropical flavor. The lemon helps balance the strong greens, and the coconut water adds extra electrolytes, balancing fluid levels in the body.
You will need to following ingredients:
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen pineapple
1 handful of parsley, fresh
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 chopped cucumber
1 cup coconut water, or more if desired.
1/2 lemon, squeezed
Stevia to taste
Blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!
Slimming Smoothie Recipe
|Serving size: 1 large glass|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 69 g||23%|
|Fiber 11 g||44%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Other Weight-Loss Drinks
Anti-Cellulite Smoothie Recipe
On it's own, dandelion tea has a strong, coffee-like flavor.
Coconut water also helps balance fluid levels.
Coffee and tea are diuretics, however, they are also dehydrating. Try green tea for the most health benefit.
You can also try juicing any of the mentioned fruits and vegetables, in any combination that you like. Be sure to add lemon or fruit to any strongly green juice.
5 Pounds in 2 Days Plan
Drink at least 1/2 liter of water before breakfast
Drink at least 1 liter of water or coconut water throughout the afternoon
If you haven't done your exercise yet, try to get in 30 minutes of breaking a light sweat.
Skin Brush to Get the Lymphatic System Going
High-Water-Content Lunch; e.g. Big Salad
Include Diuretic Foods with Your Low-Sodium Dinner, such as Grilled Asparagus
Breakfast: Slimming Smoothie Recipe
Snack on Foods such as Bananas, Cucumbers, and Celery
Relax with a Big Mug of Dandelion Tea
To Keep in Mind
Fluctuation in weight is completely normal. Be aware that any obvious gains or losses over the course of a week are due to water, and that fat loss will take you much longer to notice. Therefore, if you feel as if you gained 5 pounds of fat from indulging at restaurants a few times, it is highly unlikely that these 5 pounds are fat.
When you switch back to a healthy diet with exercise, your body will lose the excess water. The advice from this article will only speed up your results.