- Exercise & Fitness
Lose Weight With a Hula Hoop
Hula Hoop History
It is said that the first version of what is today know as a hula hoop was a large hoop made out of grapevines. Sometime about 1000 BC children in Egypt were the first to realize the joy of playing with what we call the hula hoop. Of course they weren't the only ones playing with circular hoops made out of grapevines or dried grasses, it seems there were a lot of countries who had their own version. These toys were either rolled across the ground with a stick or swung at the waist, the way we use them today.
It was during the 14th century that hooping became popular in England with adults as well as children. At that time the doctors began to see an increased number of people with numerous dislocated backs and an increase in heart attacks which they attributed them to "hooping".
It wasn't until the early 1800"s that this toy became associated with the word Hula. That was when British sailors, while visiting the Hawaiian Islands, noticed the similarity between "hooping and hula dancing. Wooden hoops began to show up in stores for retail sale in 1957 in Australia.
The selling of these wooden hoops in Australia attracted the attention of a new California toy manufacturer named Wham-O. This company knew a good thing when they saw it. They began manufacturing a plastic hoop and offered it in different bright colors. Their tireless promotion lead to this becoming the greatest fad this country has every seen. They sold twenty-five million hula hoops in just four months making this a very rich company.
Hula Hoops and Exercising
A weighted hula hoop is the best choice for a hoop to use for exercising. A weighted hoop is made for adults in the weight area of 100 to 300 pounds. They typically weigh between 2 pounds and 5 pounds. The heavier the hoop the more intense the exercises become. Of course, as the weight of the hoop goes up so does the price. Using a hoop is an inexpensive fun way to excersise and we all know that it is easier to make yourself exercise if the exercise is fun.
If you follow a consistent exercise regiment consistantly you can lose approximately 2 to 5 pounds a month. Hula Hooping can lead to a stronger back, a slimmer waist, a healthier body and a few less pounds. The best part is that hula hooping burns off about 400 calories for every 30 minutes of hooping. Hula Hooping has become such a popular exercise that many of the gyms and fitness places have begun to offer classes. Not into the group thing? That's ok, you can exercise in front of the tv. Just remember to not overdue, keep you sessions short in the beginning and ask your doctor first.
Exercising with a Hula Hoop
- For maximum weight loss using the hula hoop is is important to keep the exercise sessions short. It has been suggested to limit the sessions, especially in the beginning, to about 2 minutes. After you finish your two minutes, rest. In a little while get up and do two more minutes. This regiment has been seen to work better than trying to group all of the exercising into one longer time period. Many people who follow this regiment exercise during the commercials during one program and do it again in 15 to 20 minutes. You don't have to do this continually throughout the day, 5 to 6 times is enough to start burning those calories.
- To exercise with a hula hoop all you have to do is twirl it around your waist. The best way to keep the hoop on your hips instead of down around your ankles is to shift your weight forward and backward. If you concentrate on shifting your weight from foot to foot you should be able to keep that hoop going.
- Keep your arms lifted out to the sides. Not only will this help with the hula movement it will also help tone your arms and get your heart rate up. For some people they need the incentive of seeing others hooping but don't want to hoop in public. For these people there are some wonderful videos out on the market.
- After you have grown accustomed to using your hula hoop you can add time to your workouts. Make sure you don't overdue. Adding 5 to 10 minutes to your session will be enough. You can also start walking around while you use your hula hoop. As you become really good, try dancing while you are hooping, you won't believe the increase in calorie burning.
- Exercising with is hula hoop is not only good for weight loss, it is also a great cardio-workout. Good news - this type of exercising is easy on the knees and ankles.
- Hula Hoop Exercise Routines
A fantastic way to tone and strengthen core muscles.What's not to love about this super-fun workout? It burns mega calories, sculpts your body, and blasts off belly fat.
- The Hula Hoop--A Fun Way to Stay in Shape
The Hula Hoop brings back some of my favorite childhood memories & I've learned that just like riding a bike..you never forget how to Hula Hoop. Remember the joys of the Hula Hoop?
- How To Get Into Hula Hooping
This guide will explain how you can get involved with hula hooping, whether for fitness or pleasure I will guide you through everything you need to know from buying your hoops to your first tricks!
- Hula Hoop Dancing
When you watch a Hula Hoop dancer perform you must consider, for a moment, exactly what it is she's doing. Is it dance? Is it exercise? Is it Play? You would have to give it a bit of thought; but as the...
- Tips on Where & What Hula Hoops to Buy
Hula Hoops If you are thinking on what hula hoops to buy then check this for some proven advice when buying hula hoops. Bear in mind that there are several things that you need to consider when selecting for...