Mac And Cheese Bake
Low Oxalate Diet Recipe -Free of charge!
Oxalate is a chemical found in plant foods.The most common type of kidney stones are the kinds that are made up of crystals that contain calcium and oxalate. People who have had kidney stones are at a higher risk of forming kidney stones again. Sometimes a Dr. may recommend that you limit oxalate if you get this type of kidney stone.
A good list of high, medium, and low oxalate foods can be found at: www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-oxalate-diet.aspx
The following are some good, tasty recipes that I have used and modified for our family...enjoy.
Low Oxalate Mac and Cheese Bake
- 1lb Elbow Macaroni Pasta, measure uncooked
- 6T Unsalted Butter
- 6T All-Purpose Flour
- 3C Milk, 2%
- 1C Heavy Cream
- 1.5 lbs Shredded Cheese, Asiago, Gruyere, Sharp Cheddar, Goat Cheese
- .5 lbs Ham, Cubed, can substitue with any meat, such as chicken, or peperoni
- 1/4 C Bread Crumbs, You can toast your own
- 3T Italian Seasonings, Mix your own, or buy generic
- Shred all cheeses together and set aside.
- Boil elbow mac noodles, per box instructions, using least amount of time on box. Drain, dump in a large casserole dish, and set aside.
- Toast bread and chop fine with italian seasonings in blender.
- Make a rue: In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in and Springle flour over the butter and cook over medium heat. Cook 2-3 minutes until the rue starts to smell sweet. Whisk in the heavy cream and cook until boiling. Reduce heat to med-low and cook until it thickens. Add the cheese and melt over low heat. *If you like a little heat, you can add buffalo-wing or hot sauce to taste.
- Add the cheese mixture to the casserole dish and mix well.
- At this point you may wrap the casserole dish up in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Freeze for another night...or continue on for tonight's meal.
- Top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve warm
More Yummy Recipes below...
- Chicken Penne Surprise
Oxalate is a chemical found in plant foods.The most common type of kidney stones are the kinds that are made up of crystals that contain calcium and oxalate. People who have had kidney stones are at a higher risk of forming kidney stones again....
- Mac And Cheese Bake
Completely FREE low oxalate recipe.
© 2014 Michele Adams