- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Lower Blood Pressure Naturally? Sounds Impossible!
Sometimes those power walkers on the side walks are not out to view nature, they are focusing on their health. By going on a power walk daily, you can lower your blood pressure almost 8 mmhg over 6 mmhg. Most exercise will help lower your blood pressure because the oxygen helps move your blood more efficiently. A good suggestion would be to try a cardio workout for 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Every two weeks, go a little further.
Note: If you have trouble breathing during work outs, focus on getting good breaths before continuing with exercise.
As mentioned above, oxygen is a major part of keeping your blood pumping at a healthy rate. Research and practice different breathing methods. Deep breathing from the diaphragm is a great idea. Slow breathing practices are found in yoga and tai chi. Both of these decrease stress and all that's required is five minutes in the morning and another five at night. This is the perfect method to relax your mind for the stress of the coming day or to give your mind peace right before sleep. Breathe in deeply, expand your belly. Exhale and release your tension and stress. Imagine all of that weight leaving your body. Breathe in again and imagine yourself on a beach, it might even help to light a beach scented candle before sitting down.
Eating the Right Foods
Potassium-rich foods and vegetables are used commonly to lower blood pressure in many programs. Try to reach potassium levels of 2,000 to 4,000 mg a day. Some of these valuable foods include:
- Sweet potatoes
- Orange juice
- Kidney beans
- Honeydew melon
- Dried fruits (raisins and prunes)
Also, many individuals who are prone to high blood pressure might be sensitive to sodium. You might not have noticed, but sodium is everywhere. It is highly advised to talk half the normal amount of sodium if you have high blood pressure, usually 1,500 mg. Watch for sodium in processed foods, and take it easy on the salt.
Women your dream is coming true. It is advised to consume dark chocolate on a daily basis to lower blood pressure! The impossible has occurred! Have 1/2 an ounce of dark chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa.
More Foods to Lower Blood Pressure
As your doctor about starting a 60 to 100 mg supplement each day. Coenzyme Q10 has been found in about 12 studies to reduce blood pressure up to 17 mmhg over 10 mmhg. Required for energy production, the antioxidant dilates blood vessels
- Alcohol - The less alcohol you drink, the lower your blood pressure will drop, but only to a certain point. Light drinking might actually lower blood pressure more than no drinking a day. One drink is considered 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of spirits. Also, one drink a day for a woman and two drinks a day for a man can reduce chances of heart disease.
- Decaf Coffee - Scientists have debated, studied, and struggled to understand the effects caffeine has relating to blood pressure. Only one study to my knowledge has found that caffeine consumption of 500 mg (three 8 ounce cups of coffee) increased blood pressure by 4 mmhg, until bedtime. Caffeine can raise blood pressure by tightening blood vessels and magnifying stress levels. Drink decaf if you love coffee.
- Tea - Those in a study who consumed 3 cups of a hibiscus tea daily lowered their blood pressure by 7 points in 6 weeks, on average. The phytochemicals in hibiscus are probably responsible for the large reduction in high blood pressure, say the study authors. Many herbal teas contain hibiscus. On the list of ingredients, search for hibiscus at the top of the chart for the possibility of higher concentration per serving.
Individuals with high blood pressure who worked more than 41 hours during the week raised their hypertention by 15%. Overtime makes it more difficult to focus on your health and drains your energy that could be spent exercising. Try arriving to work early so you can leave early. That gives you more time in the evening to go for a jog for some cardio or cook a healthy meal at home.
The main goal is to find balance; working while maintaining a healthy life style. Just by having slight changes, most can become better.