- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Assessment of Back Pain
Back pain is one of the great human affliction. Almost anyone born today in Europe or North America has a great chance of suffering a disabling back injury regardless of occupation. The lumbar spine supports the upper body and transmits the weight of the upper body and transmits the weight of the upper body to the pelvis and lower limbs. Because of the strategics location of the lumbar spine, this structure should be included in any examination of the spine as a whole or in any examination of the hip or sacroiliac joint.
Resting position - Midway between flexion and extension
Closed packed position - Full extension
Capsular pattern - Side flexion and rotation equally limited extension.
Lower Back Pain
"Mechanical" Low Back Pain
- Pain is usually cyclic.
- Low back pain is often referred to the buttocks and thighs.
- Morning stiffness or pain is common.
- Start pain when starting movement common.
- There is pain on forward flexion and often also on returning to the erect position.
- Pain usually becomes worse over the course of the day.
- Pain is relieved by change of position.
Low Back Pain
Predictor of Chronicity Within the First
Activity and Percentage Increase in Disc Pressure at L3
Coughing or straining
5% to 35
40% to 50%