- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Manage stress and anxiety with right breathing techniques
Right breathing techniques,
Practicing correct breathing techniques can help manage stress and anxiety of our life and promote relaxation.The aim is to move upper-chest breathing to abdominal breathing.
The following breathing techniques will help strengthen your diaphragm,lower your blood pressure and even your heart rate and will also slow the rate of your breathing .
- Lie on your back, with your knees bent and your head supported
- Place one hand on your upper chest and other just below your rib cage ,so that you can feel your diaphragm move as you breathe .
- inhale slowly through your nostrils so that your stomach moves out against your hand .The hand on your chest should remain as still as possible .
- Tighten your stomach muscles ,letting them fall inward as you exhale through pursed lips
- With each exhalation ,visualize all the stress and tension in your body dissipating away.
- Try these exercises for 5 to 10 minutes 2 to 3 times a day ,in a quiet and relaxed environment ,these exercises could also be done while sitting on the chair .
- Do you know there is another joyful way of breathing and that is a joyful breathing in which we have to sing for joy ,sing for our life!Therefore sing away to give your breathing muscles a good workout.Fine breathing technique is essential for singers who want to carry their voice away ,and this could only be possible if one has the capacity to control one's breath by making torso muscles strong .Thus we must give our lungs a workout and embrace a regime of song ,so make it a point to sing in a shower sing along with your radio ,i pods and may whistle a tune when we are in good mood
- Try deep breathing before sleeping ,you must inhale and exhale very slowly and smoothly ,the normal rate is 12 to 16 breaths /minute ,therefore breath in for 3 seconds and breathe out for 3 seconds and hold your breath for next 3 seconds ,practice this regularly and make it your habit before sleeping and you can even stop snoring and improve your sleep disorders too .