How to Create a Mastery Mindset
Do you believe success requires the mastery of a skill?
How to Develop Your Mental Mastery
With the advent of internet, we've turned almost anyone nowadays with a computer and internet connection into an "expert" when it comes to various topics. We glorify the instant gratification of simply having news first as it's breaking not really caring about whether the source is accurate initially. We (Society) also tends to elevate people that simply have a large following into an "expert" just because they have a lot of followers on twitter, facebook or instagram. Whatever happened to the time when a person had to develop and master a skill or thought process over a period of time before they were coronated as king? There are times when having a great idea and lots of start up money can make you a billion dollars, see: facebook, uber, twitter, etc. However, most of the time success is a slower process requiring years of testing, adaptation, practice, failure and then success. Thousands of hours spent working on a craft or concept that refines a person's skills and ability to think on their feet.
WHY MENTAL MASTERY IS IMPORTANT?
It doesn't matter what you do, or where you do it, in order to be considered the best at whatever you decide to engage in it requires, hundreds if not, thousands of hours before you have a mastery of it. Make no mistake, having mastery over what activity or undertaking you're engaging in is just as satisfying for you as it is for others to watch you perform. Mental mastery contributes to a higher level of focus and it helps to turn your goals into extremely high level of productivity. Mastering your craft, helps to separate the wheat from the chaff, in that understanding the nuances of whatever you're engaged in allows you to be able to adapt faster and think on a higher level than those around you who are engaging in the same type of work.
HOW MASTERY RELATES TO SUCCESS
Look at anyone who is successful in the world today and and I will tell you that they've mastered something in their life. Donald Trump (like him or not) marketing, Bill Gates computer technology, Steve Jobs (RIP) marketing. These individuals have mastered their fields and understand the nuances of everything they engage in. Success starts with the desire to want to dominate your field or the market place and the only way to do that is to master your craft and spend time learning how to become a master at what you do. Success is a direct result of a person's ability to master at least one thing and do it so well it can't be confused with anyone else's work.
5 Ways to Develop Mental Mastery
5 WAYS TO DEVELOP A MASTERY MINDSET
- Practice: It's said that in order to master a skill completely it takes 10,000 hours (417 days for all of you who need a break down). Every one develops and has different levels of understanding so for some perhaps it would take longer than it would for others, however, life is not about one skill. Life is a combination of many skills that allow a person to be successful. Therefore patience is needed to create a mastery over a complete skill set, so keep working
- Create Your Environment: "The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself." - Mark Caine. If you are not in an environment that helps you to focus on mastering skills you need to create an atmosphere that fosters focus, learning and positive thinking. Remember that your environment also includes people in your life too. You should spend time with people who are masters in their respective fields because this will reenforce the commitment and mentality for you to succeed in yours.
- Rid Yourself of Your Pride: As you develop and you begin to let others observe your skill and even put your work out to the public, you may find that others may comment on your work sometimes critically. You have to have a thick skin, you should think, is there really something true in the criticism that I can learn from to improve my skill or the way I execute
- Forget Everything You Know: You have to be willing to have a fluid thoughts, unlearning the things you think you know from people who have already done what you want to do. You have to be willing to learn from various places not limiting yourself to just one particular way of thinking or performing
- Strong Fundamentals: In order to become a master you must first have an expert grasp of the fundamentals of whatever you're doing, the ability to perform fundamentally with precision and accuracy
The Mastery Round Up
- When trying to achieve a mental mastery don't forget to create your environment to facilitate success.
- Negative people can destroy your environment if you allow them to interfere
- Focus on the long term benefits of mastering your skill or mindset
- You can't be a master without first having a solid knowledge of the fundamentals