Medical Care Information - Life Expectancy
Choose Good Health
Life expectancy has increased around most of the world over the past several years.
Worldwide - Men - 70 years - Women 75 years
United Sttes - Men 76 years - Women 80 years
Canada - Men 80 years -- Women 84 years
U.K. - Men 79.2 years - Women 82.9 years
Australia - Men 80.5 years - Women 84.6 years
The increase in worldwide life expectancy may be due to a number of factors, such as; better healthcare, eating a better diet, better housing, sanitation, exercising or access to better healthcare.
In the U.S. over one half of healthcare is being funded by the government by programs such as; Medicare, Medicaid, the Veterans Health Administration and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
In 2017, the United States Census Bureau reported that 28.5 million people (8.8%) were without healthcare insurance, which was an improvement from 2010 when 49.9 million (16.3%) were without insurance.
Which Countries Live The Longest?
Prevent an Early Death
The leading causes of death in the U.S. are cardiovascular, neurological and chronic lower respiratory diseases.
While you cannot change your genetic makeup, your sex, race or current age, there are things you can do to prevent an early death. The Anerican Heart Association states obesity in the U.S.is a big problem for adults and children.
Strategies to stay or get healthier include:
- Absolutely. quit smoking! The chemicals in tobacco damage your blood vessels and heart. Women on birth control pills and those who also smoke are at a higher risk. Avoid second-hand smoke and vaping as well.
- Maintain a healthy weight and eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish and lean meats as healthy choices. Try to limit fats in your diet.
- Exercise several, if not most days a week for at least 30 minutes. Even walking your dog or gardening can count as exercise. Aerobic activity will increase your heart rate to a healthy rate.
- Most adults require 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night. Lack of an adequate amount of sleep can lead to hypertension, obesity, heart attack, diabetes and depression.
- Find a way to manage stress in your life through relaxation techniques, exercise or meditation.
- Get regular health screening for your blood pressure, cholesterol level and diabetes.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Manage your blood glucose level if you are diabetic.
A long life may not be good enough, but a good life is long enough.
Yoga Reduces Stress
Best Hospital HealthCare in the World
Newsweek partnered with the global market research company, Statista, to rank the top 100 hospitals in the world. They considered the expertise of the physicians, other medical professionals and the administrator across 4 continents.
The top 10 hospitals list includes:
- Mayo Clinic - Rochester, MN
- Cleveland Clinic - Cleveland, OH
- Singapore, General Hospital - Bukit Merah, Singapore
- John Hopkins Hospital - Baltimore, MA
- Charité - Berlin, Germany
- Massachusetts General Hospital - Boston, MA
- Toronto General Hospital - Canada
- University of Tokyo Hospital - Japan
- Lausanne University Hospital - Switzerland
- Sheba Medical Center - Tel Aviv, Israel
One hospital rating in the U.S. is done according to specific conditions they treat and they are placed on the “Honor Roll’. This system takes into account their specialists and medical procedures. Additionally, there are 16 specialities, such as cancer, taken into account. The more specialities and procedures a hospital does places them on a higher level on the “Honor Roll” list. Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic and John Hopkins are in the top 10 hospitals.
However, you do not need to go to a “Honor Roll” hospital to get quality care. For instance. There are very good hospitals and doctors in all states, so unless you have a condition or need a specific treatment you probably have a good hospital in your area.
Ideas for the Uninsured
If you do not have insurance, try the Affordable Care Act. If you are still uninsured and need medical care try:
- Check fees by shopping for a doctor, an urgent care facility and hospital in your area.
- Ask for a reduced rate and then, pay in advance
- Call ahead to determine the rate and pay in cash
- Ask for a generic prescription or ask the doctor for samples to save on medicine
- Set up a savings account for a consistent monthly amount
- Price higher deductible health insurance
Social Security Life Expectancy Calculator (2019)
While expensive healthcare may be a problem, there is a personal responsibility to keep healthy. Eating healthy, keeping you weight at a healthy level and exercise are some of the important ways to not only live longer, but to feel better while you are busy living. I doubt anyone thinks smoking is healthy, and it is important to beat that addiction if you are a smoker.
It is difficult to predict what will happen in the future with regard to expensive healthcare or affordable health insurance. While the chaos of the 2020 election ensues, adopt a healthier lifestyle.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2019 Pamela Oglesby