- Aging & Longevity
Memory Care in Orange County
Memory care is specialized care designed to help those with progressive memory loss. This is more than forgetting where you put your glasses or misplacing your car keys. Progressive memory loss is most often attributed to dementia, Alzheimer's or other diseases that bring about cognitive decline. Finding the right care solution can be stressful, but help is available to walk you through the process..
Warning Signs Pointing to Cognitive Decline
A certain amount of forgetfulness is common with aging, but signs to watch for that may indicate a decline in cognitive abilities include:
- Forgetting things more often including events and appointments.
- Losing train of thought during a conversation, when reading a book or watching a movie.
- Increasingly poor judgments made
- Have trouble finding way around even in familiar environments
- Unexplained loss of weight
- No longer keeps up with current events
- No longer follows established routines
- Overwhelmed with making a decision
- Has a difficult time thinking of steps needed to accomplish a task
If you see a change in someone you know, it is important to determine the nature and cause of their cognitive decline.
Help Is Available
Forgetfulness and Old Age
Forgetfulness brought on by cognitive impairment due to dementia or Alzheimer's is not due to getting older. Age is only one risk factor. Others include heredity, gender, ethnicity and poor intellectual ability. In the case of Alzheimer's women are at greater risk than men of developing the disease.
If your loved one experiences significant memory loss, don't just chalk it up to getting older. Significant memory loss is not a normal sign of aging. If you suspect there may be a problem, it is best to have your loved one assessed. This evaluation can be conducted by your primary healthcare provider.
Memory Care in Orange County
California residents living in southwest California can find many resources that provide memory care in Orange County. Browse this list of options to start your search for the right care facility:
- Alliance Elder Care: Care Homes, Hospice Care, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Assured Horizons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7: Care Homes, Memory Care
- Atria Golden Creek: Assisted Living, Independent Living, Memory Care, Respite Care, Retirement Communities
- Care Homes, Memory Care: Assisted Living, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Cranbrook Senior Living of Tustin: Assisted Living, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Emeritus at Brookhurst: Assisted Living, Independent Living, Memory Care, Respite Care, Retirement Communities
- Emeritus at Fairwood Manor: Assisted Living, Independent Living, Memory Care, Respite Care, Retirement Communities
- Hollybrook Senior Living of Orange: Assisted Living, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Silverado Senior Living - Newport Mesa: Assisted Living, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Sunrise at Tustin: Assisted Living, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Sunrise of Huntington Beach: Assisted Living, Memory Care, Respite Care
- Board and Care Homes in Orange County
If you are looking for the best assisted living situation for your loved one, board and care homes offer several advantages people find attractive
- Alzheimer’s Care Options in Orange County
Alzheimer's is a progressive disease and the amount and type of care needed to care for patients changes as the disease progresses. Alzheimer's care options in Orange County are available to meet this need.
Benefits of Memory Care
Memory care facilities offer a secure environment that allows freedom to roam but keeps residents from wandering off. Facilities offer a personalized touch with low staff-to-resident ratios. Facilities themselves are designed to accommodate people in various stages of cognitive decline and use design features like color-coded hallways to help facilitate navigation. The combined effects of a staff trained in memory care as well as facilities designed specifically for those who are cognitively impaired has shown a number of benefits including:
- Reduction in medication
- Less falls/injuries
- Fewer emergency room visits
- Reduction of violent behavior incidents
- Better nutritional intake
- Increased independence
- Increased social interaction
- Residents function at a higher level
The list of facilities offered in this article just scratches the surface of possibilities. Check with your healthcare provider for recommendations, check reviews, and pay unannounced visits to any facility you're considering. Taking these steps on the front end can help assure your loved one will get the care and attention they need and will bring you peace of mind.