Metabolism, reducing stress, and anti-aging mistakes
Dr. Oz Show is one of my favorite shows on television. It provides insights on how to take care of one's health. The show gives useful tips on aging, nutrition, and medicines. For the past two days, I watched episodes that were truly informative. The first episode dealt with the kinds of metabolism people have. According to Dr. Oz, there are three kinds of metabolism. They are:
1. Body Type A - These people crave for salty foods such as potato chips and pretzels. The people who fall under this category are usually prone to anxiety. They have a strong appetite and they are always fatigued. The upside is they are talkative and outgoing. Dr.Oz prescribed a certain type of diet for people who have this kind of metabolism. Their food should be comprised of 50% protein. They can eat darker cuts of meat such as red meat and poultry, fish, and salmon. They should have 30% fat which can be found in dairy such as 2% milk. Finally, people of this type of metabolism should eat 20% carbohydrates.
2. Body Type B - The people who are under this category crave for sweets such as ice cream, candies, and coffee. These people get tired easily and have a weak appetite. They are ambitious, organized, and sensitive. Dr. Oz recommended these people to eat 70% carbohydrates such as whole grain bread. They should only eat 20% protein such as light colored fish. They should consume only 10% fat such as low fat dairy.
3. Body Type C - These people crave for both sweet and salty foods. They have a fluctuating and unpredictable appetite. They suffer aches and pains. They are often anxious and nervous. Dr.Oz suggested that their food should contain more fat. It should be 30% fats, 30% protein, and 30% carbohydrates. It soothes aches and body pains. Their food should have a mixture of light and dark meat.
Interior designer Nate Berkus was a guest on the show the other day. After experiencing a devastating loss from the tsunami in Sri Lanka, he turned his life around by surrounding himself with simplicity. He mentioned that we should avoid clutter in our homes by putting things that reduce stress. It lightens our mood and keeps us centered. These are some of the things he recommended for a stress free environment.
1. Ottoman and a decorative pillow- We should put our feet up on the ottoman to help us relax.
2. Decorative boxes- These can store little things such as toys to prevent clutter. They can put things together for better organization.
3. Pillows and Comforters- For those who sleep on their side, Berkus recommended to have pillows that are made of natural latex because it's firmer. For those who sleep on their backs, the pillows should be made of down feathers. For those who sleep on their stomachs, the pillows should be made of thin wool or cotton. The comforters should be made of cotton or silk. Most people buy comforters that are tightly woven and have higher thread count. Buy comforters that have low thread count because it keeps you warm at night. Last but not the least, comforters should be washed every week.
4. Black out shades- Let there be light. When you walk up in the morning, let the sunshine in by opening up the blinds. Light is good for us since the sun's rays have Vitamin D. It provides a gentler atmosphere and brightens up your day.
Most women want to look young. Those who are in their late 30's, 40's and 50's will do every thing they can to defy aging. Little do they know that they commit anti-aging mistakes everyday that make matters worse. These are some anti- aging mistakes women should avoid.
1. Drinking warm tap water in the morning- Warm or hot water contains led. This can cause memory loss and speed up aging. Women should turn on the faucet and let the water run for one minute to get rid of led.
2. Energy drinks- These drinks can cause yellowing of teeth. Soda erodes the enamel of the teeth and exposes dentyne. Eight sodas are equivalent to one energy drink. Because of these, the tooth gets weak. If you want to drink sodas, use a straw.
3. Food mistakes- Most people eat peanut butter and have the habit of licking the butter spread when there are peanut butter leftovers. Those leftovers contain 80 calories and can add 8 lbs a year. Pita chips may be delicious, but when we eat the last few pieces of the pack especially the crumbs, we consume 70 calories. They add up to 2 lbs a year. Macaroni and cheese are my favorite comfort foods. When we eat the last two spoonfuls of our mac n' cheese, we gain 50 extra calories and can add up to 1.5 lbs a year.
4. Texting- Too much texting can cause a hunchback posture. To avoid bad posture, hold the arms up with your cellphone in your hands. They should be parallel to the shoulders to avoid back problems.
5. Washing the face in the morning- Most of us are guilty of committing this crime. Washing the face in the morning takes away the moisture and essential oils. Wash only at night to avoid aging. When we wash our face, we often forget the neck. Whatever we put on the face, we should also put on the neck. The neck is thinner and sensitive, therefore we should take care of it as much.
6. Too much brushing of hair when wet- This can cause dry hair. Our hair strands when wet are fragile. Too much brushing can make the hair brittle. Use a round brush to avoid dryness.