- Aging & Longevity
Minimum Exercise for Anti-Aging Benefits
Aging sounds like a scary word, especially now that we have a large numbers of baby boomer reaching the stage of becoming seniors, you can see the topics about aging and the products that promise anti-aging appearing on almost every magazine. The results of those anti-aging products would most likely bring benefit to the manufacturers that promote those products by generating a large sum of money from the potential consumers while possibly leaving frustrated customers disappointing. Although some of those anti-aging products do provide short term results, with prices starting in the 3 to 4 digits for one small session of treatments, how many of us can afford it? Therefore, I think it would be wise to avoid relying on these "magical products" and start doing something more natural that doesn't involve any chemicals. I call it "exercise." Simple enough to understand, right?! Exercising, which does not require any clinical approval, is one of the main keys, besides healthy diet and adequate amount of sleep, to slow down the aging process. If you don't have the time, try your best to do these minimum exercise for anti-aging benefits: turn your head, clap your hands, move your legs, exercise your waist, hang your head or body upside down for anti-gravity. You can do these simple minimal exercises while you're at work or resting.
Best Neck Exercise: Turn Your Head
You don't need to put aside special time to exercise your neck. Every time while you're talking on the phone, or anything that doesn't require your head to be still, turn your head as far as you can in different directions will help stretch your neck muscle and prevent stiffness of your neck. Exercise your neck this way for a total of a few minutes throughout the day and you will have a very relaxing neck at the end of the day when you go to bed.
Easy Ways to Tone Up Your Arm Muscles
Toning up your arm muscles doesn't always require buying special gears. There are a lot of things that we do through out the day involve the use of our arms, such as swing your arms while you walk, reach high up for things on a wall shelve, or lift up things. You can also simply exercise your arm muscles by clapping your hands. I don't mean clapping your hands like the way you would do when you applaud in a concert. Here are what I mean:
- Clap your hands with your arms extended out as straight as you can,
- Then clap your hands above your head, in your front, and your back as far as you can reach for at least 20 times each.
- You can be in a sitting or standing positing, but make sure your back is straight. You can also do this exercise while you're walking as long as you don't mind people staring.
Simple Ways to Tone Your Leg Muscle
Any movement that involve leg muscles is good for you. From walking to squatting down, these simple exercises can help tone your leg muscles. Walking uphill requires more leg muscles, so challenge yourself and try to avoid the easy flat area. Use stairs often if you live in a multilevel home. Walking briskly can be more efficient in toning your leg muscle than walking in a slow and relaxing manner. No matter what types of movement that you like to use in order to exercise your legs, make sure that you remember to do it everyday for at least 30 minutes. Here are some suggestions you can easily create extra opportunities for exercising your legs:
- Instead of waiting for the elevator, go for the stair. Sometimes it might take even less time walking the stairs than waiting for the elevator.
- Park at the far end of a parking lot instead of looping around the parking aisles searching for a space that is closer to the store and this will save you some gas as well provide you the opportunity to exercise your arms and legs more because you will need to walk a farther distance.
- Hang out with your friends in a park or walking trail instead of in a restaurant, just make sure that you wear your walking shoes. If you have a bike, don't let it sit in the garage collecting dust by using it more often.
- Try to walk or bike instead of drive to places that is within your manageable walking or riding distance.
- If you job requires you to sit for 8 hours, drink water often so that your body will remind you a trip to the restroom.
Exercise Your Waist
You have to do exercises to slim down your waist, keep your waist slim or at least stop it from expanding. If sit ups, crunches, or lifting weights is too much for you to do, do these simple and easy moves at least 20 times each:
- Touch or at least try to touch your toes without bending your knees. It requires you to bend at your waist.
- Turn your upper body left and right without moving your feet. You need to twist your waist a bit in order to use the muscles and try to burn the fat away.
- Bend your body backwards with the support of your hands on your lower back.
- Rotate your waist as if you're doing the hula hoop.
Anti-Gravity for a Face Lift
Saggy skin on your face and neck is the most obvious sign of aging. One of the main causes of saggy skin is the effect of gravity that keeps pulling the skin down all the time. In order to combat that effect, the best way to do is to reverse the effect by rotating our normal position in the opposite direction - upside down. You can simply move your head over the edge of your bed or sofa and let it hang for the amount of the time you can handle. Start this exercise for a few minutes at a time after you are awake and before falling asleep while you're in bed. Then gradually increase the length of time.
Exercise Through Houseworking and/or Gardening
Most the exercises I mentioned above could be covered during the time you do your housework and /or gardening. A lot of housework and gardening requires the use of different muscles. Cleaning the windows, for example, you'll have to use your leg, waist, arms and neck muscles when you reach up to wipe the dust off your windows. Therefore, if you can keep your home nice and clean by yourself and not hire a maid, or plant a vegetable garden that can provide you organic food or a flower garden that can beautify your home, meeting the minimum exercise for anti-aging benefits requirement is a lot easier than you might think.