- Quality of Life & Wellness»
- Personal Development
Motivation for 2018
A New Year...
We are now in 2018, what a great feeling to start a new year! We tell ourselves that a new year represents new beginnings and that starting from day one, looking at the entire 365 days ahead is like looking at so much potential for something DIFFERENT. We tell ourselves that this year will be a great year and we start setting goals for ourselves. Goals in life are what we strive for on a day to day basis whether we think we are doing it or not. Sometimes we can see the changes happening and are making those big steps towards our goals. Other times our goals sort of just get thrown to the waste side and just hang out until we are ready for them to have the attention they deserve again. How do we set these goals? How do we move forward and have the motivation to accomplish these goals? Are our goals realistic and manageable? Are they really what we want in life?
Sometimes, we push ourselves so hard to move in one direction, when in reality we are lost in which direction is actually the right one. I have a few questions that I would like you to answer... and I will share my own answers that I gave to myself during a time where I felt completely lost and needed to get myself out of a rut. Together, let's create your motivation. Not only for the new year, but for your life.
Are you Ready for New Changes this Year?
What Do I Do Now?
I was in a bad place with myself. I felt lost and just so far away from who I was before I met my ex that I wasn't quite sure who I was without him around. We had a relationship for 11 years and two amazing boys. After all this time we both decided it was best to go our separate ways.
I was lonely, frustrated with my current situation and just lost. Where was my drive? My motivation for life? I have always been very driven and had a set goal in mind for my next move in life. For the last year though, I felt so down, depressed and frustrated with myself because I didn't have my next goal.
So I did what anyone would do, I browsed the internet for help with my slump. I came across some amazing articles that reminded me I was worth fighting for. That it was worth it to invest in myself. I hope that I can do the same for you!
I asked myself, What do I do NOW? I want you to ask yourselves this question. No matter your situation, or what changes you want to make for the new year, you can answer this. For example, are you wanting to live a healthier lifestyle? Okay, so what do you do in order to do that? Do you eat healthier foods? Do you walk an extra 15minutes a day? Do you workout a minimum of 10hrs a week? What is it, that is within you, that can make this change happen for you?
When I answered this question I was trying to figure out my next steps in life. Here are my answers.
- Get into a better financial state
- Work on my fitness/health
- Sleep better and go to bed ON TIME
- Create a consistent work schedule with work/life balance
- Work on spending more quality time with my two boys (they are my world and grow so fast) - teach them about life by example, and teach them about the beauty in everything.
- Stop being afraid to fail
- Push myself to work smarter, not harder
- Apply my skill set and invest in myself
I ended this list with quotes:
"Nothing in life that is worth doing is easy."
"Hard work pays off."
"All you can do is your best."
"Go for it!"
"You got this!"
All of this was great, but after I wrote it, I was still upset and not sure where to start. So I asked three more questions that I saw on a few articles.
How do I want to Feel?
It was such an easy question to ask, yet I was so lost with what I wanted, that it took me awhile to really understand what it meant. How do I want to feel? I kept pacing my apartment, thinking and thinking about what it was that i needed to feel to be okay again in my everyday life. Here are the answers that I came up with.
Who Do I Want to Be?
This question was even harder. Who do I want to be? I just kept thinking to myself, what are the stories that my children will tell their children about me? What will my legacy say about who I was?
So here are the answers I came up with:
- The best mother I can be, someone who always does her best for her children. That doesn't mean you are perfect but that you will always put in the effort to be there for them, always!
- A kind person. There is so much hate in the world and if I can change the way I act towards people in a good way on a day to day basis, I should do that.
- Be Bold. Take chances sometimes. You never know what amazing things can come out of them.
- Be adventurous. I was always someone who enjoyed experiences. I love to go to the mountains and hike, or fly in a plane, or ride horses, or go out dancing. This is the fun part of me that I want back. The world is full of amazing things to do, so go out and make those memories.
- Talented. I want to learn something new. A new language or a new way to draw or paint. I want to be a woman of many talents.
- Successful. When I wrote this, I was thinking of that great job, the big house, the nice things. But now that I look at this again (3 months later) I realize that this answer didn't mean what it should have meant. Now when I think successful, it means finding my passion, not necessarily to have a large amount of money, but to enjoy what I do. Also, if I do all the other things above, I now believe that my life will have been a success.
How Do I Want to Live?
This one was probably the easiest one. Only because, after the other questions, it gave me so much time to think of what it was in my life that I truly wanted and needed. My answers are as follows:
- Free of Negativity. Surround yourself with people with similar goals in life.
- Be debt free. Work your butt off to get there!
- Buy my own home. I live in the beautiful state of Colorado, and I never want to leave, so with the current market, this will be a challenge but none the less a goal I want to accomplish.
- I want to live Positively. So much goes into the way that you think. I know that when I'm in an unfortunate situation, I have always felt a hundred times better when I can find a positive that came out of it.
Well, I hope that revealing some of my life goals to you, helps you think of your own. Life is not fair, nor easy, nor the same for any single person, but we all have the power to make it what it is for our individual selves! Let me know in the comments some of your life goals. I would love to hear them!
© 2018 Crystal Lobato