- Diet & Weight Loss
My Ketogenic Diet Essentials
Some Of My Ketogenic Diet Staple Foods
What Is The Ketogenic Diet?
The Ketogenic diet is a way of eating that for most people turns into a permanent lifestyle because of all the benefits that come with it.
It basically entails eating a diet low in carbohydrates and high in fat with a moderate amount of protein. For more information, I suggest doing a google search for 'Ketogenic Diet' and consulting with your doctor or with a qualified and certified nutritionist/dietitian.
In this article I'll be listing the tools and staple foods that I find essential for my Ketogenic lifestyle. Please feel free to ask questions or to leave a comment about what your keto essentials are, but keep in mind that I can't and won't offer medical or nutritional advice. I am merely sharing what works for me and not making any claims as to suitability for others.
I have also written an article about my experience of the Ketogenic diet.
At the bottom of this page I have included links to my Keto-friendly recipes.
I am not a doctor, nor am I a nutritionist or dietitian, so I can't give advice on the diet. I can't and won't offer medical or nutritional advice. I am merely sharing what works for me and am not making any claims as to suitability of such for others. I advise anyone contemplating the Ketogenic diet to do their own research and to seek out professional advice first from a doctor or nutritionist/dietitian.
Some More Of My Essential Ketogenic Diet Foods
- Leafy greens such as spinach, silverbeet (chard), lettuce, kale.
- Asparagus (I prefer them pickled)
- Green beans
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Tomatoes (yes they're a fruit)
- Capsicum (bell peppers - yes they're a fruit too)
Mushrooms - all kinds
Fats and oils:
- Pure butter (margarine has too many chemicals in it for my liking).
- Coconut oil - unrefined virgin coconut oil for use in salads, to make bullet-proof coffee and to use as a spread, and refined coconut oil for cooking.
- Mayonnaise - because I can!
- Sour cream and fresh cream.
- Coconut cream (try to find a brand that has a high coconut content as many contain a lot of water and other additives).
- Cheese and lots of it but not processed cheese.
- Coconut milk and coconut cream as a dairy substitute.
- Peanut butter
- Virgin coconut oil
- Any raw meat that hasn't been pre-cooked or prepared in any way since I don't know if any sugar or carbs were used in the process, unless nutritional information is included on the packaging, then I might buy something that has been pre-made if the sugar and carb contents are low.
- Cold cut meats such streaky bacon, salami and champagne ham that have a lot of fat on them.
- Fish: salmon - I don't like tuna and I've never tried trout.
Seeds, grains and flours:
- Chia seeds
- Psyllium husks powder
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour/meal
- Sea salt
- Mustard (I always check the sugar content)
- Coffee with no sugar added - I always have a bullet-proof coffee in the morning but instead of adding butter I add coconut oil and coconut milk or coconut cream.
- Herbal tea with no sugar added
Enlarged View Of Some Of My Ketogenic Diet Staple Foods
My Essential Ketogenic Lifestyle Tools
NutriBullet Pro 900, 9-piece Set
There are only a few tools that I need for the Ketogenic diet other than normal kitchen utensils and they are as follows:
- MyFitnessPal phone app - it allows me to check the sugar and carb content of millions of different foods.
- Ketone urine strips - I use those when I haven't lost weight for a while to make sure I am still in ketosis.
- Nutri-bullet - I use it to grind up Chia seeds and to make yummy berry smoothies with coconut milk.
- Shallow baking tray to make flat bread, the link to the recipe is further down this page.
- Electronic kitchen scale - for obvious reasons. Some of you might think this is a standard piece of kitchen equipment, but I know a lot of people who don't own one so to me it's a non-standard tool.
Ketone Urine Testing Strips
Some Helpful Links Including Links To My Keto-friendly Recipes
- Chocolate And Coconut balls - Low-Carb, Low-Protein, High-Fat, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free And
This recipe is very quick and easy to make with no cooking time involved.
- Cheesy Chips Recipe - All Natural, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, Sugar-Free, Low Carb.
An easy recipe for making cheesy chips are gluten-free and are made only from 100% cheese. They are an ideal low-carb, high fat snack and extremely easy to make.
- Quick And Easy Gluten-free, Lactose-free, Low Carb, High Fat, Cheesy Pizza Base.
This is a very simple and easy-to-make recipe for low-carb, high-fat, cheesy pizza base that doesn't go floppy when you lift it up off your plate.
- Recipe For Flat Bread That Is Low-Carb, High-Fibre, Nut-free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free and Egg-Free.
Easy-to-make recipe for flat bread that can also be used as a pizza base. Great for Celiacs, vegans, vegetarians, anyone following a ketogenic diet, or anyone who is allergic to nuts, eggs or dairy.
- Real food and healthy living | The KetoDiet Blog
Low-carb, Keto and Paleo recipes plus free guides and diet plans to help you achieve your goals on the ketogenic diet.
© 2016 Sleepylog