NECK DIZZINESS AND ITS TREATMENT
ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS ATTACKED BY NECK DIZZINESS
It was one fine sunny morning when I woke as usual and when got up in my feet, I had dizziness. I sat down for a few moments thinking it is just something which will pass away but to my dismay, it did not and I still had dizziness and balance issues. I then lied down in the bed for a few moments and when woke I started vomiting because of dizziness and vertigo. The next thing I did that I called up my doctor, and he then asked me a few questions such as:
1. If I am having pain in my neck?
My answer was no but sometimes you can have pain along with dizziness.
2. Have I slept wrongly with the neck in a distorted position?
My answer was maybe.
3. Am I feeling more dizziness by lowering my neck?
My answer was yes, as my dizziness and vertigo was worsening by lower the neck.
4. Do I work on computer and For how many hours.
My answer was yes and I work around 10 to 12 hours weekday and 4 to 5 hours on weekends.
5. Do I need to look down at my computer screen?
My answer was yes as my computer screen height was quite lower according to my sitting arrangement.
The next moment HE DECLARED that I had an attack of CERVICAL DIZZINESS which is caused due to compression of nerves in the spinal region of the neck and dizziness is the result of that. The below picture shows better how that compression looks like.
INITIAL TREATMENT CERVICAL DIZZINESS AND BALANCE ISSUES:
My doctor told me there is no permanent treatment but I need a few lifestyle changes along with some exercises. Few things my doctor told me to immediately dos and don’ts to take care of dizziness are:
1. Not to bend my neck or look down, as it will compress my nerve more at the cervical area and cause dizziness and vertigo.
2. If I need to lie, then not to lie down with pillow under my head or neck, just lie flat. Pillow will compress the nerves at my neck and dizziness will become severe.
3. To either lower the height of my chair according to the computer screen or to either keep the screen at such a height where I do not need to bend my neck and worsen the dizziness and vertigo.
4. He asked me to immediately visit a physical therapist once able to go there or consult a doctor if even after a few hours am in poor shape.
SECONDARY TREATMENT OF CERVICAL DIZZINESS AND BALANCE ISSUES:
I rested without lowering my neck for a few hours and then was in a better shape and then visited the physical therapist for the consultation and therapy. After asking me if it is my first attack and when and how it happened, he prescribed me a 15 day course of physical therapy which included.
1. Diathermy to the cervical area. It means electromagnetic energy is used to produce heat and which is passed through heating pads to our body placed beneath the prescribed area.
CAUTION: I was told not to wear any metal chain or anything of metallic nature around my neck and heat is produced by magnet and metal interferes with magnet.
2. Ultrasonic massage to the cervical area. An ultrasonic gel was applied to my neck area and massaged till the gel dried out and later wiped with a clean cloth. It basically soothers the nerve and gives relief from dizziness and vertigo.
3. Cervical traction. It is just like stretching your neck straight while lying down.
The main function of a cervical traction machine is to regain the appropriate spine posture and its alignment and in turn get complete relief from dizziness and balance issues. One can do it at home but it needs practice and perfection, so better to visit a physical therapy center where the necessary equipments are there under the guidance of a practitioner.
4. Application of wet heat through heating pads on the cervical area. It is a great help in any kind of muscle aches of dizziness.
5. Cervical traction exercises after 10 days of physical therapy under the strict assistance of a physical therapist. After 15 days, you will learn those exercises and needs to do daily for 15 minutes to strengthen your neck area and prevent any further deterioration.
AFTER going through the physical therapy, I can say I was 100% free from dizziness and balance issues.
AFTERCARE OF CERVICAL DIZZINESS AND BALANCE ISSUES:
Now I am strictly following the dos and don’ts of the doctor as well as I am doing the cervical traction exercise daily for 15 minutes and 2 years have passed and am free from any kind of dizziness and vertigo. Just keep in your mind you are to take care of your neck and dizziness will be automatically taken care of.
MY OTHER FEW USEFUL HUBS
- tummo meditation technique
- CONSTIPATION TREATMENT
- Home Remedies for Getting rid of Dandruff
- HOME REMEDIES FOR COLD AND COUGH AND SORE THROAT
To have something handy and home made to treat this nagging cough and cold is always great. Go through this link where one will get time-tested home remedies.
- WHAT IS ANGIOEDEMA AND ITS TREATMENT
I myself have faced and got cured from angioedma. Really helpful for those who suffers from this.