Natural Cough Syrup Recipe With Three Household Ingredients
Cost Effective and Natural Cough Syrup
My boyfriend and I just moved into a new house with our adorable little puppy. Though she is confidently the best thing that has ever happened to us, she can be a handful at times, and notoriously gets into our medicine cabinet if left open. We have started moving toxic chemicals and medicine away from her reach, however sometimes she can be quite the Houdini. I decided to take an extra step and begin moving away from toxic chemicals and medicines in the house. Our house is not 100% non-toxic to animals or children yet, but we are moving in that direction. Additionally, I'm as DIY as they come and I do like to save money, even if it means a few dollars. Dollars and bills add up! Recently, I came across a recipe for natural cough syrup, and it is amazing! Not to mention, it is quite tasty! I wanted to share my process for making this quick and easy, 100% safe, home remedy. This recipe is safe for children and pets, though the only reason a pet would intake is if they are a clever Houdini, themselves. The recipe I followed did not recommend this recipe for children under 1 year old, however.
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Here, I was trying to use the ingredients that I had in the refrigerator. Therefore, I went ahead and used the 100% juice concentrate from Kroger which works great. Price for this 32 oz bottle was $2.79, though you do not really need 32 ounces. 1/4 cup yields 2 ounces. Also note, this concentrate is not 100% natural but it is still non-toxic for children and pets. If you want 100% food safe and natural cough syrup, use actual lemons.
- 1/4 cup of liquid honey from Kroger. Price for this 12 oz was $3.19.
- 1/4 cup of food safe vegetable glycerin from Glycerin Supplier. I've been ordering from this company for 6 months now and they really do have the best prices on the Internet, I've found other suppliers that are literally triple their price for the same product. This 250ml bottle was $2.99. When choosing your glycerin, ensure you purchase food grade for this recipe.
- Strain lemon juice through strainer, or simply pick out the seeds. If you used juice concentrate, like I did, you can skip this step.
- Whisk 3 ingredients together.
DIY Natural Cough Syrup
Store Bought Natural Cough Syrup