- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Natural Supplements, and Vitamins for Fatigue, Low Energy, And Low Thyroid Function
Dr T on Thyroid Disorder
Dr Oz on protein
Dr Teitelbaum about Fatigue
Supplements, Advice, and Symptoms of Low Thyroid Function, and Fatigue.
Many of us experience fatigue from time to time, say after we have over done it, with extensive exercise or a strenous activity. This is normal. Ongoing fatigue, so extreme that it effects your lifestyle, quality of life, and even your relation ships is not normal. Many doctors assume that it is just depression, but usually it is not, and has a physical cause. The causes of fatigue can vary from person to person. From mild to extreme, from occasional to constant, here are the many causes of fatigue.
1. The number one cause of fatigue? Dehydration. We require a 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight to remain hydrated. The level of activity increases the need.The more you sweat, the more you need, along with necessary electrolytes, sodium and potassium. Other symptoms of dehydration include headache, poor muscle tone and cordination, strong smelling and dark urine, joint and muscle soreness, and is a contributing factor in arthritis, as well as many other conditions.
2. A B-complex vitamin deficency. The B vitamins are known as the stress vitamin, but they are also necessary for energy. They are best taken in a combination form, as they work with each other. A good daily multivitamin should contain all of the major B vitamins. B12 can also be administered by your physicain in the form of an injection, or obtained in a sublingual form. Many of the energy drinks, and vitamin waters contain B complex vitamins for energy. A new supplement that has come on the market, which combines enzymes, electrolytes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals is called Oxylent. Comes in packet form, and can be mixed with water for a quick pick me up. Available at health food stores.
3. A diet low in complex carbohydrates, omega fatty acids, and protein can also cause fatigue. All of these nutrients provide sustained energy, without the insulin spike that simple carbs, and sugar causes. A three o'clock pick me up, might consist of a hand full of nuts, some fresh or dried fruit, and whole grain crackers. These will give you a lift, and sustain you longer.
4. Another possible cause of fatigue is low thyroid function. The symptoms of low thyroid include the following: low body temperature, weight gain, dry scaly skin, dry coarse hair, a decrease in scalp hair and eyebrows, fatigue, edema, forgetfulness, and irregular periods. Thyroid function can be measured by standard blood tests, T3, total T4 and TSH. Another test can be administered at home. Place a thermometer under the armpit for 10 minutes, upon rising, remain still, as this may affect the temperature reading. Take a consective reading for 5 days. A consistent temperature below 97.8 with the symptoms of hypothyroidism, may indicate a need for thyroid hormone. The midwest is considered the thyroid belt, because there is no iodine in the soil. Synthroid is usually perscribed, which is a synthetic version of T4. Side effects include headache, irritabilty, nervousness, loss of sleep, loss of weight, loss of bone mass, and deplete the body of iron and calcium. Holistic doctors recommend the following supplements in the treatment of hypothyroidism.
1. Kelp 2000mg-3000mg daily, contains iodine. L-Tyrosine 500mg twice a day. This combination makes active thyroid hormone, that the body can utilize.
2. Armour desicated thyroid hormone tablets, by prescription only, contains both T3 and T4.
3. Vitamin B complex needed for proper thyroid function.
Foods that suppress thyroid function include the following: broccolli, brussell sprouts, cabbage, and radishes. Avoid fluoride, and chlorine as they block iodine receptors in the thyroid gland. A natural toothepaste, that does not contain fluoride, and filtered water are recommended. A pur waterfilter will filter out chlorine, as well as many other contaminates.
Other recommendations include black cohosh, and progesterone cream, to increase thyroid activity, as well as Chlorella. Available thru sunchlorellausa.com.
Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, Md is "the" doctor on fatigue. He has a line of Books, and supplements, specifically for the Chronic Fatigue, and Fibromyalgia patient. He himself contracted fibromyalgia, and over came it. An awesome Doctor.
Information obtained from these books and websites: Nutritional healing, From Fatigued to Fantastic, Depression Free, Naturally, and the Vitamin Shoppe, health guides.
Top recommendation from Dr Teitalbaum. Increases thyroid hormone production
Recommended Supplements for Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, developed by Dr. T
Recomended supplements for Low Thyroid Function
Supplements for quick energy
a sublingual form b-12 for energy