Need to Jump Start Your Memory?
How To improve your Memory
There are three stages of memory: Storage > Retrieval > Encoding. There is long-term memory and short-term memory. In this article I will talk about long-term memory and how to get information to store permanently. Short-term memory is discussed in this hub by LillyD.
1. INTEREST: When you create and nurture in different subjects and keep learning new things with a purpose behind why you’re learning them. If you have an interest in the galaxy then take in knowledge in it. If you are not interested in the mating ritual of the African elephant, don't spend personal time in books learning about it. See with long term memory it is your own personal experience and emotions that enhance your mind to retain the information indefinitely.
2. COMPREHENSION: It is imperative that you thoroughly understand the topic you are inputting for retention. When you have knowledge of how to turn on a television you can enjoy watching it. However when you know all the parts of one and how they connect to each other and the signal that creates it’s functionality, you can repair a television or develop tools enhance its performance.
3. CONCENTRATION: One must pay close attention to what they are learning. A useful skill is good note taking. This helps enable one to focus their mind but has information available to review later.
4: ORGANIZATION. Just like a good filing system helps you to find documents easily, categorizing what you learn as far as concepts or related ideas aides in information retention. Think of this steps like a grocery store. You have ales sectioned off in groups of related items so when you think baking a cake you can get flour, sugar and spices in the same area.
5. REPETITION and SHARING: Remember those notes we talked about. When you review things repeatedly this aids in long term retention. Repeating things out loud helps one to pay close attention, get immediate feedback from instructor and activate other parts of your brain. When you understand a topic well enough to explain in then you should and it makes a deeper impression on your mind keeping you from forgetting.
6. VISUALIZATION: Mental pictures of things you want to remember is a great training tool for your mind to remember things. The deeper information is embedded in ones min with the more senses you use. Different areas of ones mind is engaged when visualization is used.
7. ASSOCIATION: You’ve probably heard of word association. Using one word to connect a memory to the name you want to recall. Humorous antidotes and bizarre association are great ways to recall things.
There is work involved in improving ones memory. You must train your mind as long term memory isn’t something that comes quickly and naturally to most of us. As we age it gets more challenging so the sooner you start the better your mind will be and the longer it will last.