- Exercise & Fitness
New Year’s Resolution Starts Today
Cleopatra - Queen of Beauty
It is never too soon or too late to start thinking about an exercise program for any upcoming year. It appears that during the months of October, November, December, and January Americans tend to overeat and overdo festive events which involve delicious food and beverage choices. These edible affairs include Halloween, Oktoberfest, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve. (4months and 1 day)
The months of January, February, March, April, and part of May has our thinking and our body consumed with exercise and dieting. (4 ½ months)
The first 5 months of the year many are motivated by the outcome of having a physical body look attractive in a swimsuit. Many swimsuits are very revealing and we feel very uncomfortable when not meeting our fitness goal.
The swimming, water skiing, scuba diving, boating, and other water activities combined with light dining fare for June, July, and August help many of us to remain slim. (3 months low food consumption)
There seemingly appears to be little concern for exercise or weight loss during the summer. In summary we gain our weight and lose our attractive figures during the remaining nine months of the year.
Suggestion: We need to review our lifestyle during the summer months and note what foods and activities kept us looking fit and feeling fantastic with no concern for exercise and diet programs.
It becomes critical for our personal well being and health that we have a lifestyle exercise program combined proper nutrition in order to maintain favorable weight and physical attraction goals year-round.
Year-Round Slimming Program
- It is an activity which can be done year-round.
- Classes may be conducted with videos or a private instructor in your home.
- Attending classes with other students who share the same interest is very supporting.
- The mirrors in the classroom or in your home studio reflect your body’s image and help you to see problem areas which may need additional weight loss, toning, or costuming to meet desired image.
- Feel comfortable, confident, and appreciative of your body type.
- Rehearsing for a public performance is a strong motivator to feel and look our best. It is an exciting and rewarding adventure which takes us away from an everyday dull routine or boring job.
Belly Dancer, Azizi, In Performance
I Recommend Belly Dancing Because ...
- It is a pleasurable activity and belly dancing can be done anywhere with or without a costume.
- The pleasures, friendships, and experiences gained from this dance give us the desire to keep moving. Practicing new steps disciplines our mind and body to be active. Meeting new people widens our social circle. The classroom and entertainment experiences are educational and fun.
- When in costume or performing we are complimented with positive feedback regarding our appearance or dance routine. Being complimented for our talents is key motivation for continuing this art form.
- Our eating habits will change because receiving compliments for weight loss or figure changing from both people and the wall mirror is welcomed. The summer months of compliments for a bikini swimsuit figure and a beautiful tan is also a constant reminder to continue our activities and nutrition to maintain our attractive appearance.
- Attending belly dancing classes will earn positive support from fellow students as well as from the teacher. Sharing in a creative art and craft interest such as making costumes, assembling jewelry, or playing Middle Eastern instruments with other women is inspiring.
- It helps to discover your inner identity to bring vitality and enthusiasm to your life.
- The movements in this dance are gentle and achievable because it is designed for the female body. There is a dance style for every personality and figure type.
- Feel feminine, womanly, sexy, confident, and ready for any of life's adventures.
You Can Dance Anywhere, Belly Dance Drum Solo ...
Portable Dance Movements
This art form is portable allowing for movements to be practiced in small, medium, or large spaces.
- In front of a mirror
- Certain movements can be done while showering
- Quite a few of these dance movements may be practiced in bed
- I have co-workers who practice in the ladies room during their break time.
- Incorporate movements into swimming, other forms of dancing, and while walking
- Steal moments of time in any situation which makes you feel comfortable to perform belly dancing movements
Happiness Is A New You
New Year's Resolution
There is no rule or regulation which states that you have to start a personal self-improvement program starting on the first day of a new year. The majority of these resolutions are never started or even achieved.
Reviewing your past and planning for your future is an ancient theme which originated with the Babylonians thousands of years ago. It is a good thing to do, however, starting a new habit should start on the day of decision. Start your activities when you are strongly motivated to do so and have made a definite decision to start.
You may or may not announce to others your intentions. Speaking from my experiences, it is the promise which you make to yourself that you must commit to and complete. If you quit along the journey or fail; you have only yourself to answer to. One only needs to look into the mirror to face the personal outcome of success or failure.
Weight Loss - Select Your Favorite Exercise
- Outline a program, but be flexible. If the plan is too rigid, you will quit.
- On the first day of the program record your body weight and take your body measurements. Measure the circumference of your arms and legs, chest, waist, and the hip.
- The reason for the body measurements is because as muscles tone it will not be reflected in the scale reading. It will be loss in inches which can be more rewarding than the loss of body weight.
- Select an exercise program which is suited to your interest and abilities; not what is the current trend or fad.
- Dieting is a dead end. Speaking from my personal experiences I use the word "allergy". When you announce that you are on a diet there is always someone who will say, "it will be all right, have this slice of cake. You can walk it off." I say, "I am allergic to sugar and white flour." Now, people go out of their way to provide strawberries or other healthy choices.