New Ideas To Help You Reach Your Overall Fitness and Health Goals
In this article we will be exploring interesting ways you can step into your new overall well being journey, some you might never have considered before! We will discuss new ways to be active in supportive environments, a general price indicator for each activity and the many benefits they have to offer.
"For me, fitness is not just about hitting the gym; it is also about an inner happiness and an overall well-being." - Rakul Preet Singh
The biggest question "When do I have time?"
Before we get started, one of the most common questions I hear is "When do I have time to do this?" And it's a very valid question. One I still think to myself constantly.
And only you can truly find time to achieve your personal fitness and health goals. But I will tell you this. For the things we most want, we make time. And keep making time until we forget how a new person/ activity/ chore in our lives were not a part of it all along. Then it becomes routine. Because it is important to us.
Your physical and mental health should be important to you. Without it, all the things you prioritize above it will not be possible in the future.
Perhaps none of the suggestions in this article suit your interests or comfort zone, and that is okay! I have organized these ideas simply as a way think outside of the box. The box being the gym, the aerobics DVD, the early morning jog.... whatever box that may not be enough for you anymore and you are looking to expand your horizons.
Baby steps are just as important as big leaps, and all of it does take time and practise. But why not use that time in the most fulfilling, interesting and exciting ways possible?
Now take a deep breath, remember that self care is not selfish, and continue with me. I am proud you are here thinking about something new for yourself, I hope you are to.
“Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.”
– Jim Rohn
What activities are out there for me?
Let's dive into some of the many exciting forms of fitness, social interaction and family friendly adventures just waiting out there for you....
This activity involves a range of fun filled sports that require a map and navigational equipment, which are generally provided for hire at a very low cost for both individuals and groups when you are beginning.
- Local professionally run groups in your area
- Be involved as a visitor or a member, as occasionally or as frequent as you wish
- Suitable for all ages and fitness levels, family and in some cases pet friendly!
- Work alone or in a team and be as casual or involved as you like socially
- Very affordable and in many cases free or coin donation based depending on the club rules
- No skills required when starting out, experienced professionals are always on site to help and teach navigation techniques
- Visit new parks and places you may never have seen before in your area, across many different terrain types
- Burn calories while you walk, jog, run or a mixture of all three without noticing because you are so engrossed in reading a map and racing the clock. You can even go to bike orienteering days
Considered a sport and art form that has been around for hundreds of years, Archery is about focus, breathing, posture and technique. The best part is it can be both casual or competitive.
- Much like Orienteering, there are generally locally run professional groups in your area. With open days throughout the year or certain guest times weekly or monthly depending on the club
- As stated above, this sport can be as relaxed or as competitive as you would like it to be. Visit and learn the basics, practice at the advised times or join a club and compete!
- Learn to focus your mind on your body, your breathing and your techniques
- Develops your hand/ eye co-ordination and concentration
- Mingle and meet new people or train as an individual. And always family friendly but be aware of age restrictions in club rules for small children
- Equipment available for hire or to use for free depending on the club
- Improves your posture and upper body strength, not to mention your confidence!
“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.” - Eckhart Tolle
10 Pin Bowling
This sport is far from old news, with a resurgence in recent years and a growing membership worldwide. The goal? Bowl over the 10 pins waiting for you at the end of a lane way. By incorporating a mixture of posture, breathing, focus and a mixture of upper and lower body strength.
- You can bowl anytime you like at your local bowling alley. You can pick a special event day, a half price day, a disco night bowl, or enquire about joining a bowling team!
- There are no rules about having to bowl in a team. You can hire a lane as an individual, or with a group of friends, with your family or request a coach for a lesson
- Shoe, lane and ball hire are affordable and look out for coupons
- All ages, fitness and skill levels welcome
- Burn up some calories! There is a surprising amount of walking required, not to mention the development of upper and lower body strength
- It's an inside sport, no need for sunscreen!
- Improved balance and flexibility, and like Archery, hand/ eye co-ordination
- Fun, relaxed and very social environment
“All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.”
— Michael John Bobak
Now Paintball is not for the fainthearted. This is a competitive activity and yes, there are some "Ouch!" moments involved. So maybe skim down to the the next activity... but you never know. Attending with friends and establishing your own ground rules the first time you play Paintball is a great way to decide if you might be interested in the activity. This is a shooting sport where players try to eliminate each other or another team in order to win. It involves a whole range of fitness and focus. Hand/ eye co-ordination, body movement, stamina, running, team work, just to name a few.
- I don't even need to tell you how many calories a two hour session of Paintball would burn. Let's just say, a lot
- Play for fun in either a family or friend group, join as a guest in a team on certain days depending on the organisation or become a competitive team member
- Hire the equipment and rounds you will need for the activity, most of these can be purchased in bundles or package deals with specials throughout the year and discounts for teams
- Social interaction across many age groups, with great teamwork development
- Total body workout across different obstacles and terrain
- Very well known to be a stress relieving activity and confidence booster
Using a Pilates Reformer Machine in a studio environment, you will find each workout incorporates a range of movement, flexibility, focus, balance and strength. You are supported while using bands, platforms, bars and other equipment all made into one machine designed for your comfort and safety.
- A fantastic de-stress, almost meditative activity with repetition and focus on your own body capabilities at all times
- Improved posture, spinal alignment and stability
- Increased muscular endurance and connective tissue strength
- Development of core, back, leg, neck and all over body strength while lengthening and toning
- Greatly improved flexibility and wider range of movement with each practice
- Speed up your metabolism and burn fat at a faster rate
- Safe, professional and indoor studio environment with varying price ranges per class or in bundles depending on the organisation
- Small amount of social interaction with other people in a class
- Improves breathing with an increase in lung compactly, deeper breaths and relaxation
- No experience or fitness level required to begin with, and a trainer is generally present at all times
Where to now?
All of these activities and many, many more can be found by:
- doing a google (or another preferred search engine) search based on your area
- enquiring with your local council to see if any wellness activity open days or events are coming up throughout the year
- contacting a group you are interested in joining directly
- joining a forum or online group, for example Facebook, and look for fitness or activity gatherings who meet in your area
- community notice boards both in physical and online forms
- business phone books, either online or physical copies
- ask your medical professional
- ask friends or family and see what activities they enjoy
- keep an eye out at festivals, fairs and market stalls for community groups advertising their organisations
“You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success if found in your daily routine.”
– John C. Maxwell
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Mel Richards