- Diet & Weight Loss»
- Healthy Diets
Super Food Oats : Easy and Nutritious Oats Recipes for Breakfast!
Oats: The Healthy Option For Weight Management!
© Chitrangada Sharan
All Rights Reserved.
- Recently one of my older relative developed Heart disease and was advised by the Doctor to review and make changes in his Diet. He was asked to include more of healthy foods in his diet and of course walking and low impact exercises.
- As we age we must be very careful about what we eat. Because with age we are more vulnerable to diseases such as high blood pressure, Diabetes, Cholesterol, low in energy and stamina, slower metabolism and so on.
- One of the perfect food as advised by the nutritionists in this regard happens to be 'Oats'.
- Oats have also been categorized as one of the World's healthiest foods.
- When eaten it forms a gel and delays emptying of the stomach, which makes one feel fuller for a long time.
- Coronary heart disease is a major killer in the world and the figures are increasing day by day.
- Therefore it is important to watch what we eat. Including healthy food in our diet can lead to prevention from such diseases.
As per dietary guidelines by health experts, Oats as part of a diet, may reduce the risk of heart disease, as it contains soluble fibre and is low in saturated fat.
Low sodium diets may reduce the risk of high blood pressure, a possible cause of many diseases.
Why Eat Oats?
1. To Manage Cholesterol Levels:
Oats contain beta-glucan, which food and dietary experts have found to lower blood cholesterol. The soluble fiber in Oats and Oats recipes can help bring down the bad cholesterol, LDL levels down. High Cholesterol can lead to plaque or blockages in blood vessels and thus lead to heart disease.
2. To Keep Blood Pressure Level Healthy:
Oats have low salt levels. Eating too much of salt can lead to high Blood Pressure levels, which in turn is not healthy for heart health. To keep blood pressure normal, we should limit salt intake in our daily diet and choose foods low in salt, such as Oats.
3. To Manage Our Weight:
Since Oats is rich in fiber, it keeps you full for a prolonged period. As such you are able to avoid unhealthy foods and binge eating habits. This in turn helps you in weight management.
4. To Have Nutritional Benefits:
Whole grain Oats are filling, full of energy, carbohydrates, proteins, fiber, Iron and Vitamin B. Most appropriate for a perfect breakfast to carry you through the day.
Masala Oats: Buy from Amazon
Healthy Recipes With Oats:
1. Oats With Milk Or Curd:
This is the most common way of taking Oats in breakfast.
30 gms. of Oats(half cup) in 250 ml.( 1 glass approx.) of low fat milk combined together. Boil or Microwave for two to three minutes and its ready to eat.
You can add fresh fruit pieces or nuts if you like.
Some people can not digest milk. In that case Oats can be cooked in water, cooled and then combined with curd or yogurt.
2. Oats as Smoothies:
Cook Oats with low fat milk or water for two to three minutes. Cool and blend with fruit chunks of your choice. Add ice or sugar if you like
Mangoes, Papaya, Pineapple, Strawberries, Bananas go very well in Oats smoothies. You can also combine two or three variety of fruits.
3. Oats Cookies and Cakes:
Make your cookies and cakes the usual way but combine the goodness of Oats in the batter of cakes or the mixture of cookies. They mix evenly and are perfect for those who do not like its taste, if taken as an individual food.
4. Oats Upma:
Upma is an Indian snack recipe, which is good in taste and nutrition but low in fat. Usually it is prepared with Semolina(Rawa/ Suji) or Flattened rice or Beaten rice (Chidwa/ Poha).
For one serving, you will need:
30 gm. Oats; 1 medium sized onion roughly sliced; 1 tsp. cooking oil; few curry leaves; 1/2 tsp. finely chopped ginger; 1/2 tsp. finely cut green chili; 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds; salt to taste
Easy and quick cooking method:
Heat oil, add curry leaves, chili, mustard seeds. When it crackles add ginger and onion. Let them cook till it changes color to light pink. Add Oats and salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and sprinkle about half cup water. Stir continuously till oats are cooked.its ready to eat. Decorate with green coriander leaves.
5. Oats in Chapatis, Dosas or Pancakes:
You can also combine Oats in your day today cooking when making dough for Chapatis, Pancakes, Dosas, Pakoras and other foods.
You can combine Oats in Lentils or Daal as well.
6. Oats Buttermilk:
Roast half cup Oats for 5 minutes. Cool and grind.
Soak the Oats in 3/4 cup hot water for 2 to 3 minutes.
Blend Coriander or Mint leaves, about 1/4 cup, 1/2 teaspoonful grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoonful roasted jeera or cumin seed powder, 1/2 teaspoonful sugar, black salt (a pinch or as per taste) and 1 cup low fat curd or yogurt.
Blend smoothly in a mixer.
Add crushed ice, if you like.
Garnish with mint leaves and serve.
How do you like to take Oats in your diet?
To Sum up:
- To lead a happy life, we must be healthy. It is important to take care of our diet to avoid chronic health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity etc. All these further can lead to heart disease.
- Along with quality, quantity is equally important. Healthy nutritious food in correct portions, along with long walks, exercises or Yoga leads to sound health.
- Having Oats in your breakfast is an ideal way to start your day.
- With a little imagination, you can create as many recipes as you can.
- Oats are quick to cook food and Microwaveable too, which is a boon for today' s busy lifestyle.
© Chitrangada Sharan 13th August 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Harvesting Oat crop, source: You tube
Oats recipe Idli, source: You tube
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- The nutritious Flax Seeds : Health Benefits and Easy...
Recently my friend's husband was advised by the Nutritionist to include Flax seeds in his daily diet as he had reduced level of HDL. Sharing the health benefits of Flaxseeds as told by the Nutrition.
- 5 Bitter but Healthy Foods that You Better Eat for ...
Health experts feel that the deficiency of bitter foods in our regular diet is to a great extent, responsible for growing diseases.These foods purify, are anti bacterial, anti viral,anti inflammatory.
- How to make your Bones Strong and Healthy : Food an...
Bone health is very important for living a normal and healthy life. Proper attention must be paid to Specific food and exercises meant to improve bone health to prevent Arthritis and Osteoporosis.
- What is Anemia (Anaemia) : Causes, Symptoms, Solutio...
Do you always feel tired and fatigued? Get your blood examined. One of the causes for this may be Anaemia or Iron deficiency. Read on- for causes, symptoms and solutions to deal with Iron deficiency.
- How can Coconut oil help to fight Obesity!
Coconut oil is unique as found by research as it helps you to reduce fat. It has less calories, is effective in boosting metabolism. It is more satisfying and makes you feel fuller for a longer time.
- Soyabean : The Wonderful Source Of Protein And Its ...
If you are a Vegetarian and always thinking of increasing your Protein intake, this article is for you. Soyabean is very high in Protein content required for growth, energy and other multiple benefits.
- How To Make Moong (Green Gram) Sprouts or Kala Chana...
Who doesn't know about the health benefits of sprouts! Grow your own healthy and hygienic sprouts at home and include them in your daily diet. You can turn sprouts into yummy recipes, salads n soups
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan